Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

2015 and up giant reign owners thread!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
2015 and up giant reign owners thread!
Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 19:24 Quote
Hrm. Cheers for the replies. Think I might just take it, and if it does work out, sell/swap it if I have to.

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 19:25 Quote
gravity808 wrote:
Clarkeh wrote:
gravity808 wrote:
Does anyone know the reasoning behind using a 7.875 x 2.25 shock on the reign, instead of the more common 8.5 x 2.5 on todays enduro bikes?

Trying to find a used debonair plus in 2.25 but there all 2.5! My monarch on my reign 2 is squeaking like a mofo and its the second one giant Vancouver has given me
You wouldn't happen to have ridden it at whistler? Heading there in a few weeks, I think it will be enough bike, but people that have been there reckon I will need a full DH bike. Just wondering if it holds its own.

My first ride was a full day at whistler, second time up a rented a Scott Gambler, then went up again a few days ago and rode the reign. First time I went up riding it was in the fitz zone riding mostly just B-line loops/crank it up and the bike did surprisingly well (better than my remedy would of been) and the other time I rode it was the same flow trails then blue velvet. First lap of blue velvet I had to call it a day because my hands were so messed up because of the braking bumps and long straight aways! Definitely a whole different story on the gambler. Rode the first chair of the day up at 10am and was still going strong at 7pm until I sacked my self into oblivion! And my confidence literally doubled on the dh rig. Body was much less tired riding laps back to back no problem, hitting higher level trails with confidence and going full speed into everything etc..

So overall I think the reign does well on the trails themselves but once you throw in trail conditions such as the continous braking bumps on blue velvet, my hands and body just fatigued so fast! But at the same time I think any enduro bike would suffer the same problems. Have barely actually got to ride the bike on any all mountain days so Im not even convinced if I like the bike yet haha. Still need to dial it in. But still drooling over transition patrols as well haha
I have to wonder about the suspension setup on your Reign, a 160mm Pike should not be beating you up a whole lot more than a 180mm DH fork, right?

I had an '07 Reign X1 with Van36R 160mm fork, and survived full resort days without getting overly fatigued.

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 19:54 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:
Hrm. Cheers for the replies. Think I might just take it, and if it does work out, sell/swap it if I have to.
also part of the rental fleet at whistler is made up of reign 1's

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 21:51 Quote
I ride my reign 2 in the whistler park. It's not a DH bike, but it's close. Especially with a coil. My only complaint is the giant rims, they are made of cheese.
tricyclerider wrote:
Clarkeh wrote:
gravity808 wrote:
Does anyone know the reasoning behind using a 7.875 x 2.25 shock on the reign, instead of the more common 8.5 x 2.5 on todays enduro bikes?

Trying to find a used debonair plus in 2.25 but there all 2.5! My monarch on my reign 2 is squeaking like a mofo and its the second one giant Vancouver has given me
You wouldn't happen to have ridden it at whistler? Heading there in a few weeks, I think it will be enough bike, but people that have been there reckon I will need a full DH bike. Just wondering if it holds its own.
I can't speak for whistler but I took mine to sunpeaks which isn't as well taken care of as whistler and it held its own there. A few things had to be re tightened at the end of the day but nothing really different after a solid day of riding.

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 22:04 Quote
Agree about the rims! I'm forever getting mine trued. Have been told the rim eyelets are getting a bit knackered from it but I'm not overly convinced that they're not just trying to get more money out of me..

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 23:42 Quote
I've ridden for a few DH shuttle days so the notion that it wasn't going to be up to the task seemed odd, just getting twitchy as I get closer to leaving I guess Big Grin

Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 0:36 Quote
gravity808 wrote:

It's hardly a high leverage ratio. Granted, somewhat higher than others... but it's not anything to be concerned about. The suspension design is fantastic on this bike.

Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 1:33 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:
I've ridden for a few DH shuttle days so the notion that it wasn't going to be up to the task seemed odd, just getting twitchy as I get closer to leaving I guess Big Grin

In my opinion rather than swapping to a full DH I would whack a coil shock and 170mm 36 on it if you have the funds!

Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 1:59 Quote
I can honestly now say, that a coil isn't even needed. The X2 is the best shock I've used... and I've had them all (all the good ones that is..CCDB, Stoy, Ohlins, CCDBA, CCDBA inline etc)

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 2:53 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:
gravity808 wrote:

I rode one in Whistler last summer - it's what made me want to buy one in the first place.

I haven't ridden a DH bike for a few years, since I stopped racing the nationals really, as living in the south of the UK it was really quite a pointless ownership process, so can't comment on riding the park on one - but even there with the evolution of DH bikes, you need to ride the nuts off it to make it work properly.

I rode the park most afternoons on my AM bike after riding the valley trails in the morning & it was fine.

The hammered trails feel crap whatever bike you are on.

I'm taking my Reign out there for the summer in a few weeks & plan to use & abuse it in the park until the lifts shut.

Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 5:20 Quote
sup3rc0w wrote:
I can honestly now say, that a coil isn't even needed. The X2 is the best shock I've used... and I've had them all (all the good ones that is..CCDB, Stoy, Ohlins, CCDBA, CCDBA inline etc)
Have you ridden the rs vivid air? How does it compare in feel to the x2?

Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 6:12 Quote
Ctk11 wrote:
sup3rc0w wrote:
Have you ridden the rs vivid air? How does it compare in feel to the x2?

That's the one shock I've not ridden, but just the mere fact that the X2 has a large volume negative air spring, already trumps the Vivid air. I'm probably not the right person to ask about the Vivid air though, as I've never had any love for it from some of my freiends' experiences. Then things kept on blowing up / replaced by brand news ones by the distro, then blowing up again.

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 7:05 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:
gravity808 wrote:

The Reign looks like a mini dh bike, but having my free ride bike and my reign at the park at the same time, doing laps on the same trails, I very quickly gravitated away from my reign. For hitting Whis whis i would want a bike that I could maximize the day on.

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 7:11 Quote
sup3rc0w wrote:

How is the climbing on the x2? Much pedal bob?
Would the new float x be close to the same performance?

Posted: Jul 3, 2015 at 8:01 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.bikingpoint.es/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/giant-reign-2-blog.jpgReign advanced 0
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.bikingpoint.es/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/giant-reign-blog.jpgThe reign line up with the advanded 1 at the front and the aluminium options, maybe the reign 1 Will have the option to choose from the black one or the orange
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.bikingpoint.es/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Giant-Reign-blog.jpg Reign 2 2016, personally I like more the color of my reign 2 2015

Hope you like itBig Grin the black one looks hot!!tup

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014207
Mobile Version of Website