All you Orange riders get in here!

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
All you Orange riders get in here!
O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 12:20 Quote
danbillam wrote:
Do you mean the return on the dropper? If so I did add a few turns on to make it quicker.
i run mine full speed and it still refuses to come up Confused

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 12:24 Quote
Scotj009 wrote:
danbillam wrote:
Do you mean the return on the dropper? If so I did add a few turns on to make it quicker.
i rub mine full speed and it still refuses to come up Confused
Get some little blue pills...

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 12:25 Quote
Scotj009 wrote:
danbillam wrote:

how old is it/did you cut the cable down when setting up ?

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 12:36 Quote
GaryOrange5 wrote:
Scotj009 wrote:
danbillam wrote:
i rub mine full speed and it still refuses to come up Confused
Get some little blue pills...
what are these blue pills you speek of

ryanme wrote:
Scotj009 wrote:
danbillam wrote:

how old is it/did you cut the cable down when setting up ?
yes i cut the cable down and then bled it when i fitted it on the first weekend of december

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 12:44 Quote
Easy way to see how well you bled it- put the saddle down and pick up the bike from the seat. If the reverb extends there is air in the system.

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 12:45 Quote
oh ok cause it doesn't do that when you just lift it up but it does if you give it a slight jiggle... so i will bleed it on saterday tup

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2015 at 7:49 Quote
Charge262 wrote:
Easy way to see how well you bled it- put the saddle down and pick up the bike from the seat. If the reverb extends there is air in the system.

If it does this and doesn't return all the way its a different problem entirely. If there is air in the oil that damps the moment then no amount of bleeding the actuation hose will help. If you send it back they will fix it on warranty however.

Posted: Jan 22, 2015 at 8:09 Quote
nakeddave wrote:
Thanks for your input. Just got to wrap my head around spending another 500 quid on a new shock now I guess.

Depends really ... The Debonair upgrade + a tune on your Monarch may probably be cheaper than most options I listed, and still pretty good. If you don't mind sending your shock to France, I recommend Novyparts for the tune. No idea where you could buy the Debonair upgrade though (maybe your LBS or CRC, or the German folks from bike-components or bike-discount)

Also consider than you can sell the Monarch, probably something like £200 (maybe more, don't really know the rate for a 2nd hand Monarch +). If you can ride it for a few months and save up some money (and keep an eye on the buysell section there might be one here and then), a Kirk is definitely the best option you could get.

Finally, if you're more versed into DH riding rather than trail riding, consider putting a coil shock. With springs getting lighter and lighter (Stendec/SA springs come to mind), if the lockout isn't something you use very often, a BOS Stoy or CCDB coil is a very good option. It would probably be 200-300gr heavier than the air equivalent, but work much better for DH riding Smile

Btw someone just posted a Vipr (with the right setting and hardware for an Alpine) for 250€ on a French buy/sell website. Including shipping and PayPal (providing the guy ships to UK) it should be around £250 Wink

Posted: Jan 22, 2015 at 12:54 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
nakeddave wrote:
Thanks for your input. Just got to wrap my head around spending another 500 quid on a new shock now I guess.

Depends really ... The Debonair upgrade + a tune on your Monarch may probably be cheaper than most options I listed, and still pretty good. If you don't mind sending your shock to France, I recommend Novyparts for the tune. No idea where you could buy the Debonair upgrade though (maybe your LBS or CRC, or the German folks from bike-components or bike-discount)

Also consider than you can sell the Monarch, probably something like £200 (maybe more, don't really know the rate for a 2nd hand Monarch +). If you can ride it for a few months and save up some money (and keep an eye on the buysell section there might be one here and then), a Kirk is definitely the best option you could get.

Finally, if you're more versed into DH riding rather than trail riding, consider putting a coil shock. With springs getting lighter and lighter (Stendec/SA springs come to mind), if the lockout isn't something you use very often, a BOS Stoy or CCDB coil is a very good option. It would probably be 200-300gr heavier than the air equivalent, but work much better for DH riding Smile

Btw someone just posted a Vipr (with the right setting and hardware for an Alpine) for 250€ on a French buy/sell website. Including shipping and PayPal (providing the guy ships to UK) it should be around £250 Wink

After a good chat with the guys at TF tuned today I decided to go for the CCDBA without Climb switch. The guy I spoke to had an Orange Alpine 160 himself with a Fox Float RAD on it. After much debate we agreed that the CCDB will be easiest for me to tune to my liking at home without having to send it back for shim tuning if I want to tweak it.
Also he felt that the CS compromised the performance of the shock slightly and as I'm light-ish and ride spd's that I wouldn't really need it.
Should be with me next week, can't wait.

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 0:59 Quote
So am I the only one actually liking the stock Fox Float Evo CTD shock on the Alpine (2014 26") then? Didn't even upgrade to the ugly gold kashima thing. My only guess is that my previous bikes' suspension was so bad that even though the Float isn't great, it is still way better. Or maybe it's a weight thing. Ready to ride I am at about 110kg.

I like the simple concept.
Ascend on asphalt: climb mode
Ascend on trail: trail mode
Descend on flowy trails: trail mode
Descend on real trails: descend mode

It's as intuitive as it gets and each mode does exactly what it promises. At least that's my impression.

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 1:56 Quote
It really depends on how picky you are to suspension, what is your baseline for suspension performance, and it usually is that you haven't tested something else on that bike.

The Fox CTD Evo is one of the worst shock on the market, they cut every possible corner when they designed it, leaving some veeeery basic compression setting (small shim stack, with a massive shim for the "climb" setting) and no real rebound setting (only a needle, no shim stack, no high speed rebound setting, and not even possible to add one), and the parts inside the shock weren't even anodized or treated. Just raw pieces of aluminum...

I had one on the Five when I bought it, and rode it a few days (from XC/AM to DH). I also weigh more than 100kg (at that time I was about 105 I would say) and one of the problems I had was that I just couldn't ride it in Descent mode (I would bottom out really easily, pretty much no matter the pressure I put in), so it was Trail most of the time (and climb on roads). But the main grudge I had was on the rebound side. On small hits, it was fine, it was coming back pretty quick, I ran it pretty open like I do with most shocks and forks. But on bigger hits, when it blew through the travel, it couldn't come back fast enough. Pressure built up behind the needle, but since it's fixed and there is no way for the oil to take another route than the needle, it would seem to have a slower rebound when the shock was almost fully compressed, and felt like the rebound was going faster as the shock extended.

That made for some very unexpected jumps and landings, with the rear that couldn't really be controled ... In the end I think I just rode it fully open on the rebound, kinda bumpy on small hits but alright on big hits and jumps.

The other problem of this shock is that you can't add a high speed rebound setting to it. You could tweak the compression, tweak the rebound needle if you like, but that's it.

If you have the chance to try another shock on the same bike, do it and compare. Of course the best way would be to ride a different shock on your bike, on trails that you know well. But that might prove to be hard ... Smile

Without going to the extremes like a brand new BOS Kirk or CCDB, a Fox CTD Factory or Monarch+ that has been in the hands of people like TFTuned would be a big improvement. More control, more grip, no unexpected behaviour, ...

Posted: Jan 23, 2015 at 4:14 Quote
Thanks for that understandable explanation!

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 12:29 Quote
I just got my first orange five )

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 12:35 Quote
Not sure on the year but here's mine .test rideing the weekend just waiting for my new 60mm stem . Size L 20 frame but it don't feel that big im 5foot9 so hopeing I'll be ok on the trails
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014546
Mobile Version of Website