Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here

PB Forum :: Downhill
Got Any DH Questions? Ask Them Here
Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 8:08 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Bromaphobe wrote:
If any of you work in a bike shop what's your policy when it comes to booking in bikes? Reasonably clean? Do you book in supermarket bikes and other bso's?

I don't clean bikes. If you bring a bike in all covered in shit, you will get it back all covered in shit, and I'll charge extra labour if all the shit on the bike makes my life harder when fixing it.

Its actually a pet hate of mine, you wouldn't take your car in for a service just after driving it through a field full of cow dung, so why do people insist on doing so with bikes? I will clean a bike a little if you are really nice to me. Or if you have nice boobs. Awful I know, but hell, I've got a mechanics brain, what can I say?

As for BSO's, yeah we will build them. 1 hours labour, and if the thing falls apart underneath you, thats not my fault. Unless it was definitely an issue with my work. It probably wont be tho, BSO's just fall apart, its what they do.

That all probably comes across as a bit harsh, but I suppose so is bringing in a dirty bike, or buying a piece of shit online then asking me to build it for pennies.

Haha sounds like home! just wondered if many bike shops turn work away or just charge extra, just had a bso with dog shit halfway around both wheels walked into my shop and trodden into the carpet...

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 8:54 Quote
Bromaphobe wrote:
Gingymp5 wrote:
Thepureface wrote:

The star nut does not hold the stem on. It only allows you to set the bearing preload.

I bet your missing a spacer or have the wrong crown race. So you install it it seems fine then after riding it's loosening up right?
What? He said his headset is coming loose not his stem. I had a problem with starnuts sliding and it went exactly the way you're describing.

But once you've set your bearing preload and tightened your top crown then you could even remove the starnut and top cap
When I was having the same problem it didn't work that way. Even with everything torqued properly. I tried running two starnuts with an extra long bolt and that worked for a while but then it started sliding again. Eventually I had to purchase a headlock which solved the problem.

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 8:56 Quote
Gingymp5 wrote:
Thepureface wrote:
nevi414 wrote:

Yes it is. The first time I had it tightened I was told that the star nut wasn't in the right position.

The star nut does not hold the stem on. It only allows you to set the bearing preload.

I bet your missing a spacer or have the wrong crown race. So you install it it seems fine then after riding it's loosening up right?
What? He said his headset is coming loose not his stem. I had a problem with starnuts sliding and it went exactly the way you're describing.

Yea that's exactly what's happening. I'll have everything tightened up and it'll will be good for a few weeks and then I'll start feeling some play in the front of the bike after a while again. I think locktite should work but would that be a bandaid on a broken bone type of fix or is it hard to say?

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 8:59 Quote
nevi414 wrote:
Gingymp5 wrote:
Thepureface wrote:

Yea that's exactly what's happening. I'll have everything tightened up and it'll will be good for a few weeks and then I'll start feeling some play in the front of the bike after a while again. I think locktite should work but would that be a bandaid on a broken bone type of fix or is it hard to say?
Locktite isn't going to help the nut from sliding. Go have a shop install a new one and if you want to be extra safe get them to install two on top of eachother and run an extra long bolt.
And if you never want to worry about it again buy one of these Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://1mg.me/?w=300&h=300&filename=371642_0.JPG&f=BPUserPhotos

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 9:47 Quote
I always use bolt thru head locks , start nuts get on my tits half the time.

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 10:28 Quote
bigburd wrote:
I always use bolt thru head locks , start nuts get on my tits half the time.

Ditto
star nuts suck. I have a mate who weighs a lot. He can shift the starnut on his DH bike doig endos. I'm a bit lighter, but still loosen my headset off if I give it a good pummeling in the rough.

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 11:44 Quote
That sounds and looks like a great idea I'm definitely going to get one of those so I won't have to worry about this issue anymore. Thanks a lot everyone that info really helped out a lot!

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 16:31 Quote
hi everyone,i got a question,i have an Marzocchi Roco coil r,it has no piggyback,and i don't know how to adjust it,make the rebound faster,it's very slow,this is my shock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2015-Marzocchi-Roco-Coil-F-Rear-Bicyle-Shock-7-875x2-25-200x57-450lb-Spring-/111668613687?hash=item19fff7d237

somewhere it has a little screw/cap for some kind of an air valve but i don't really know for what is it,please some help
i just want some faster rebound

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 18:29 Quote
Bromaphobe wrote:
Gingymp5 wrote:
Thepureface wrote:

But once you've set your bearing preload and tightened your top crown then you could even remove the starnut and top cap

He's right about that.

Posted: Oct 1, 2015 at 18:40 Quote
Damn I don't know why I didn't catch that thanks. I'm gonna check that out first then and see if that will work better for a while

Posted: Oct 2, 2015 at 1:23 Quote
Just make sure that your top crown/stem combo whichever set up you have is nice and tight

Posted: Oct 2, 2015 at 5:50 Quote
Quebec2010DH wrote:
Bromaphobe wrote:
Gingymp5 wrote:

He's right about that.
Not really, if you overtorque the hell out of your crown it might hold but at proper torque settings my headset would come loose after a single run with a faulty starnut.

Posted: Oct 2, 2015 at 7:32 Quote
Gingymp5 wrote:
Quebec2010DH wrote:
Bromaphobe wrote:

He's right about that.
Not really, if you overtorque the hell out of your crown it might hold but at proper torque settings my headset would come loose after a single run with a faulty starnut.

That's probably what it is then the star nut might be out of its normal shape. I'm going to get it back to where there's no more play for now but going to order one of those thru bolts. Just need to find out what size I'll need

O+
Posted: Oct 2, 2015 at 15:20 Quote
MetalheadWolfRider wrote:
hi everyone,i got a question,i have an Marzocchi Roco coil r,it has no piggyback,and i don't know how to adjust it,make the rebound faster,it's very slow,this is my shock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2015-Marzocchi-Roco-Coil-F-Rear-Bicyle-Shock-7-875x2-25-200x57-450lb-Spring-/111668613687?hash=item19fff7d237

somewhere it has a little screw/cap for some kind of an air valve but i don't really know for what is it,please some help
i just want some faster rebound

That must be some weird OEM shock, I've never seen a coil without a piggy back and it's not on Marz website. It says o the ebay listing there is only spring preload and no rebound adjust, so you would have to open the shock and mess with valving in the damper to change it - not worth the cost on a shock that cheap. Solution: buy a better shock.

The rebound adjust on their coil shocks is usually below the spring, see the red knob just above the bottom eyelet in this picture:

http://www.marzocchi.com/System2/19377/M-Shock_2012_06_01_2.jpg

O+
Posted: Oct 2, 2015 at 18:55 Quote
Does anyone know if it is possible to modify a xtr 10 speed derailleur and put a short cage from say a zee on it? Thought i saw something like this on some guys bike and it looked super cool.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028141
Mobile Version of Website