Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: Jan 20, 2017 at 4:17 Quote
does anybody know what size ID o-rings to use for travel indicators on fork stanchions or shocks? if the stanchion is 35mm OD then do I get 35mm ID o-rings... or slightly smaller / bigger?

Posted: Jan 20, 2017 at 5:06 Quote
neorider wrote:
does anybody know what size ID o-rings to use for travel indicators on fork stanchions or shocks? if the stanchion is 35mm OD then do I get 35mm ID o-rings... or slightly smaller / bigger?

I have one here. Tried measuring it but it's not perfectly round. It's roughly about 33mm internal and 35mm external diameters.

I'd go slightly smaller like 33mm. I guess it will still move up even it's tight. Don't want it too loose though...

33mm internal is my approximate measurement. Closest I can get it...

Posted: Jan 20, 2017 at 8:59 Quote
While on the subject of internal routing, how much stripping down of components is normally required to thread it all through? I can't see how I will be able to get my cable through the bottom bracket area without removing the cranks however I don't have that blessed shimano crank preload cap tool to hand.

Posted: Jan 20, 2017 at 9:13 Quote
Use a butter knife. Are a large screw driver.

Posted: Jan 20, 2017 at 14:10 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Use a butter knife. Are a large screw driver.

lol

wait, yore* not serious are you?

*new multifunction spelling that covers all variations.

Posted: Jan 20, 2017 at 14:25 Quote
Views: 795    Faves: 1    Comments: 1
any one done this? Wanna know how he got a 45 and 50 expander on

Posted: Jan 20, 2017 at 16:24 Quote
DillonThomson24 wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:
If you have £110 approximately to buy some brakes what would you get.

Thinking of slx m675 for £110.

Can't find anything used at the moment worth buying. Seen some new model xt's for £120 yesterday here on PB but he didn't go for them and now they're sold.

Yet also see some nice condition slx m675 for £60 but again sold..

Would you get the new SLX for £110 or upgrade to the newer slx or even xt... ..Or any other brakes to consider.

Thanks.

Go with the older versions. The couple of pairs of new xt's I have seen have all had inconsistent bite points. Granted I've not seen any new slx in the wild yet. Or see if you can get hold of a set of zees.

Found some xt's m785 for £99.99 on CRC...

Nearly missed those...glad I found them...Think they're OEM unboxed but whatever. Plus 2 year warranty of course..

No olive and needle included and CRC are out of stock but I'm sure a good lbs will have some for a similar price.

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 0:56 Quote
Is it bad to get mud on your fork stanchion, shock, and dropping bit of dropper post?

Do people protect these bits?

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 1:23 Quote
It's only bad if it gets past the seal imo, it's an mtb!

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 1:27 Quote
just clean them with a drop of fork lube.

smear a small drop around them and cycle them through the travel once or twice and any dirt trapped in the seals should get lifted out and leave a ring you can wipe off. repeat till nothing comes out. clean off any excess around the seals to stop dirt sticking to it whan done.

gaitors tend to trap water and dirt.

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 1:45 Quote
iffy wrote:
just clean them with a drop of fork lube.

smear a small drop around them and cycle them through the travel once or twice and any dirt trapped in the seals should get lifted out and leave a ring you can wipe off. repeat till nothing comes out. clean off any excess around the seals to stop dirt sticking to it whan done.

gaitors tend to trap water and dirt.

Yeah what iffy said, I use brunox myself

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 5:30 Quote
I have a DMR Bolt Mark2 currently set up 135qr with a hope pro 2 evo hub and am wanting to convert it to 142x12. I'm just after a bit of clarity on what I actually need to purchase.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-pro2pro4-evo-rear-hub-conversion-kit/ Does this come with the 12mm end caps and an Larger diameter axle or do I need to by them separate?

Then there are the dropouts, are these the correct ones? https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/53459/DMR_142mm_Hub_SwopOut_Dropout_V2_

And finally, the through axle, Would this have to be the dmr specific axle or could something like a maxle be used? I'm not sure if the dropouts have a thread on the drive side or not.

Thanks

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 5:56 Quote
rhiwfawrdirt wrote:
I have a DMR Bolt Mark2 currently set up 135qr with a hope pro 2 evo hub and am wanting to convert it to 142x12. I'm just after a bit of clarity on what I actually need to purchase.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-pro2pro4-evo-rear-hub-conversion-kit/ Does this come with the 12mm end caps and an Larger diameter axle or do I need to by them separate?

Then there are the dropouts, are these the correct ones? https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/53459/DMR_142mm_Hub_SwopOut_Dropout_V2_

And finally, the through axle, Would this have to be the dmr specific axle or could something like a maxle be used? I'm not sure if the dropouts have a thread on the drive side or not.

Thanks
you'll need the x12 axle kit (it'll be an option to select when you go to buy it) if you're wanting to convert to 12x142 and AFAIK any 142x12 through axle should be fine- you'll need to buy this separately though as the hope kit won't come with one. The dropouts you asked about are the right ones you'll need

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 6:12 Quote
MattJ99 wrote:
rhiwfawrdirt wrote:

Thanks
you'll need the x12 axle kit (it'll be an option to select when you go to buy it) if you're wanting to convert to 12x142 and AFAIK any 142x12 through axle should be fine- you'll need to buy this separately though as the hope kit won't come with one. The dropouts you asked about are the right ones you'll need

Thanks for the help, so what's the difference between a 12mm and the x12 adapters?

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 at 7:14 Quote
They're a different length I think...the x12 are slightly wider. But also the 135x 12mm spacers have knurled ends where's as the 142x12 have smooth ends....plus one of the x12 is silver and one is black. Where's as the 12x135 are split silver/bronze.

There is only 2 types of 12mm spacers. One is for 135mmx12 the other for 142mm x 12...Also called x12

OK I foget the new 148mm spacers lol.. But I'm not sure about those. Are they a thing or do you use the 142mm spacers.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.037665
Mobile Version of Website