Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
Posted: May 14, 2015 at 4:31 Quote
It does Thanks.I change my mind Lmost on an hourly basis. My zesty has a tt of 590 + 90 stem. Thats very similar to the 629+ 40 of the medium race strive. I'd just hate to end up with a small bike.[/Quote]

I was the same at first, but I could always swap the 50mm stem for a 40 like what comes on the medium. I think if you're going for the geo of the race frames there's no point sizing down or what's the point in getting the race frame other than spec maybe.

Posted: May 14, 2015 at 5:41 Quote
kingfluther wrote:
Addy95 wrote:
kingfluther wrote:
Thanks for all the help and advice lads. I only ever feel like my zesty could be a bit bigger when I'm climbing as my arse seems to hang of the back of the saddle a bit. I think I might go with the small race as the medium seems like it might be a bit big. Thanks.

I'm in a similar position to you but between the medium and large race as I'm just over 5'10". I ordered the large race and then was a bit worried it would be too big. In the MBR review the test rider was 5'10" and he sized up to a large and I've since sat on a strive cf race large bike and it felt fine so I've decided to stick with the large. Don't know if this helps at all.

It does Thanks.I change my mind Lmost on an hourly basis. My zesty has a tt of 590 + 90 stem. Thats very similar to the 629+ 40 of the medium race strive. I'd just hate to end up with a small bike.
from reports in the german forum http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/strive-2015-erfahrungen-fragen-und-antworten.727852/ two users your height find the S Race a perfect fit. Users over 175 also find the M race fitting but with some handlebar adjusting.
two things not to be confused are bike length and riding position.
the first is related to wheelbase and toptube length and is immutable, usually the longer the better as it provides better stability at speed, only conservative riders will find a shorter wheelbase better.
longer frames will make you feel IN the bike instead of on top of it and will provide more room to finely shift your wheight towards front or back end.
riding position derives from that but can always be changed adjusting stem and handlebar lengths,for example if you can't load the frontend properly or you feel too back on the saddle you can lower the bar, widen it, or get a longer stem.
these changes have inherents side effects: wider bar brings more stability, longer stems makes going over the bars easier.

Posted: May 14, 2015 at 5:51 Quote
Guys please compare effective top tube lengths as they are without the stem lengths that you could change anyway.

So it doesn't make sense to say for example that two bikes with 600+60 and 620+40 will be similar because they are simply not.

The 620+40 combined with a wide bar will have a longer wheelbase and a more accurate and stable feeling due to the stem bars combo. The best thing that you could do is to check also reach and stack. In my opinion with only 1.72 it would be too long to choose a M Race that is actually a Large size in terms of effective top tube regardless of the stem length.

I think that a normal medium or a small race would be the better option but check again all aspects of the geometry.

Posted: May 14, 2015 at 8:42 Quote
finally got a decent pic of my strive, not the latest version but......Rolleyes
Canyon Strive ES 8

Posted: May 14, 2015 at 11:17 Quote
gpgalanis wrote:
Guys please compare effective top tube lengths as they are without the stem lengths that you could change anyway.

So it doesn't make sense to say for example that two bikes with 600+60 and 620+40 will be similar because they are simply not.

The 620+40 combined with a wide bar will have a longer wheelbase and a more accurate and stable feeling due to the stem bars combo. The best thing that you could do is to check also reach and stack. In my opinion with only 1.72 it would be too long to choose a M Race that is actually a Large size in terms of effective top tube regardless of the stem length.

I think that a normal medium or a small race would be the better option but check again all aspects of the geometry.
I'll have a good think about. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Posted: May 14, 2015 at 23:14 Quote
Might not be the latest model but I still love the look of the old one.....I was really sorry to see mine go last year......would have kept in but only have room for 5 bikes in the garage LOL.
gazsutton wrote:
finally got a decent pic of my strive, not the latest version but......Rolleyes
Canyon Strive ES 8

Posted: May 15, 2015 at 15:18 Quote
Hi all, just ordered a Canyon Strive CF 8.0 race small.
I have a 2012 strive small frame with 2013 Nerve AL parts and upgrades so looking forward to it.

Can anyone post a pic of a 2015 strive CF race specifically around the top tube and seat tube triangle. I have heard the size small in the AL version is a complete moulded triangle rather than with a hole, is this correct?

Also I tested a race in medium and it felt a bit big but everyone advises to get a medium so just presumed I'd get use to it. I came back on the canyon size system as a Small in a pro(race) version. Coming from my old strive frame this will feel bigger anyway I presume?

My measurements were as follows...typical Irish gremlin Smile
Height 172
Weight 74
Inseam 76
Torso 71
Shoulder 45
Arm 57

Any help in resting my mind would be appreciated

Posted: May 16, 2015 at 3:32 Quote
My gf ordered a small (AL but geo is the same afaik).

Body height: 167
Inseam: 75
Torso length: 67
Shoulder width: 41
Arm length: 55

Bike just fits her, it is on the big end of the scale for here. Reverb dropper post is inserted all the way in the seat tube, and in maximum position just maybe 1cm to much extended to be a perfect pedalling position. Seat tube is the same for S and M size for the race models, so i assume that both have open triangle. I only know for sure that the aluminium version has an open triangle.

You being just 5cm taller I think it would be spot on.

Posted: May 17, 2015 at 4:46 Quote
Trying to set-up the suspension of the Canyon Strive AL 7.0 for a rider weight with gear of about 60-62.5 kg. Any tips or basic settings?

Which settings on rebound etc and psi do you use? It is the version with RS Pike RCT3 and Monarch RC3.

Posted: May 17, 2015 at 10:08 Quote
I have no experience with this bike or this suspension, but I'd recommend to have the rebound set neutral. I mean that when you stand up on the bike and push the suspension down, both front and rear, that it works the same in front and rear.

Posted: May 17, 2015 at 10:19 Quote
The higher the rider weight, the more the PSI needed and also the more the rebound damping (slower).

So in your case since you are light you will need less PSI and less rebound damping (faster) depending of course on your riding preferences.

Usually we set the fork rebound slightly faster than the shock one so the fork will handle terrain as it should and the shock wI'll do the same but without bucking you up.

http://m.pinkbike.com/news/To-The-Point-Rebound-Damping-2013.html

Posted: May 17, 2015 at 11:43 Quote
Just put some Marzocchi 350ncr's on my Spectral (stealth) - looks awesome and what a pair of forks!!!

Posted: May 17, 2015 at 13:03 Quote
Having issues with the shapeshifter on my 6 week old Strive. Basically it's stopped shifting to XC mode, the gas piston just won't extend anymore. I know you're not supposed to exceed 15 bar when pumping it, but you're supposed to pump it in XC mode. Does anyone know what pressure it should read when compressed (in DH mode)? I don't want to exceed the maximum stated, but to me it would make sense for the pressure to be a lot more than 15 bar when in DH mode.

Then again, after reading the past couple of pages I'm wondering is it just borked? Gonna contact canyon tomorrow in any case.

Posted: May 17, 2015 at 13:07 Quote
Oh, might as well add a pic while I'm here Smile

photo

Posted: May 17, 2015 at 14:30 Quote
muckwarrior wrote:
Having issues with the shapeshifter on my 6 week old Strive. Basically it's stopped shifting to XC mode, the gas piston just won't extend anymore. I know you're not supposed to exceed 15 bar when pumping it, but you're supposed to pump it in XC mode. Does anyone know what pressure it should read when compressed (in DH mode)? I don't want to exceed the maximum stated, but to me it would make sense for the pressure to be a lot more than 15 bar when in DH mode.

Then again, after reading the past couple of pages I'm wondering is it just borked? Gonna contact canyon tomorrow in any case.

Yep, as I've said a couple of times before I had the same problem and it was replaced under warranty. Good luck to you getting it sorted!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019358
Mobile Version of Website