Canyon Owners Club

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Canyon Owners Club
O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2015 at 14:58 Quote
Wonder what causes these varied customer experiences... I've never had things go straightforward and on time when dealing with Canyon. There's always delays and lack of communication. They don't even respond to my e-mails anymore always need to call them up.

Posted: Jul 30, 2015 at 15:08 Quote
I don't know mate ive lost all confidence in the bike its had 2 cracks in 18 months and the stays bend so easily annoing thing is they are sending me a whole new frameset and I just bought that bloody stay so im going to be asking where my spare stay is as I paid for it and its blood brand new if I don't get it back I want a refund lol

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2015 at 15:18 Quote
Wish I could ask for a full refund right now.... I'm thinking of telling them to take back the frame and shove it... Should've gotten a long travel hardtail and built it up with the components that I have ages ago.

I've lost confidence in the Spectral as well actually, for a trail/enduro bike it didn't take a massive hit to ding the seatstay, my XC bike from Specialized took much bigger hits than that and lived with only small scratches. Also how the hell does a bike like this not have any way of mounting a bash guard? Seems like they sacrificed a fair bit of durability just to make it as light as it is. Should've gone with the strive, seems like it would take a much bigger beating... but then there's the shapeshifter which'll probably fail and will keep me off my bike for as long as I am now.

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 1:07 Quote
Paluzas wrote:
Wish I could ask for a full refund right now.... I'm thinking of telling them to take back the frame and shove it... Should've gotten a long travel hardtail and built it up with the components that I have ages ago.

I've lost confidence in the Spectral as well actually, for a trail/enduro bike it didn't take a massive hit to ding the seatstay, my XC bike from Specialized took much bigger hits than that and lived with only small scratches. Also how the hell does a bike like this not have any way of mounting a bash guard? Seems like they sacrificed a fair bit of durability just to make it as light as it is. Should've gone with the strive, seems like it would take a much bigger beating... but then there's the shapeshifter which'll probably fail and will keep me off my bike for as long as I am now.
If the shapeshifter fails, it doesn't keep you of your bike, it only keeps you in downhill mode. So you can still use the bike, it just won't pedal/climb as well for a while. Plus apparently there is a new batch of shapeshifters with little to no issues now.
(correct me if I'm wrong, this is what I understood from this forum, I don't own a Strive yet)

I do understand your frustration though. Weird that your spectral is damaged that fast. I currently have a Nerve 120mm, which has a similar design and weight and the frame is still undamaged although I've done 1m drops and jumps on it in bikeparks and did the downhill of Pic du Midi de Bigorre a couple of weeks ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNYTd0zDBHCool where rocks about the size of tennisballs hit my frame more than once when braking, taking out of one spoke of my Crossride rims (nothing broken though). The frame doesn't even have a scratch.

I would be as angry as you i the seatstay was damaged and Canyon tried to sell me an entire new frame while there is only a small part broken. That's ridiculous!
I'd visit them in their service center and if that make them help me, I would put this all over fora and facebook, that makes a lot of companies try a little harder. But then the service center is only 15 km for me and the personnel there is very friendly in my experience.

When I had an issue with the bearings from my Mavic front wheel of my race bike after about 500 km, they sent it to Mavic in France and I could borrow a 800€ Mavic front wheel for free to use until my own wheel came back from Mavic. Great service in my opinion!

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 5:31 Quote
They ordered the parts, lead time - two weeks... But they gave me a free multitool for the scratches on my brand new frame so I guess that's fine........

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 5:40 Quote
LaurentS wrote:
I might wait for the 2016 models, it will probably have the new Pike/Lyrik, Shimano XT 8000 11-speed and the new Fox 36. I am kind of hoping for a Strive with new 36 and a 1x11 Shimano XT 8000 at the same price level although RockShox and Sram is probably great too, I just never tried it.

Where can you find the delivery dates of the models? I can't find them since they changed the website.
You can check availabilities by clicking the cart button on the bike page.
Many sources report that 2016 prices (not just for Canyon) are gonna be 10/15% higher because of dollar strength.

Anyway don't worry, both the 36 and the pike are completely different animals than the Fox 32, even a Spectral EX can have a field day on twisty/flowy bikepark tracks.

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 6:27 Quote
I've only had good experiences with Canyon, even with a dent on delivery they sorted me out. But that sorting out was not a frame change/replacement. However I appreciate they aren't as flexible but I knew that before I bought one.

I had a long chat to them a while back about getting just a frame and they explained that their model they purchase the right amount of everything to cover building X bikes so splitting them down to sell a frame or part of the frame means they end up with loads of spare parts. I understand this so was chilled about not being able to purchase a new frame only.

This might be the reason why you had trouble as they've not go any spares left so can't accomodate sending out the seat stay only. Maybe in the next batches they might increase the spares - but with the variety of colours, models and sizes you'd need a massive investment to hold that much stock which may only see 10% actually sell over a 5-8 year period. That would mean the cost of the bikes themselves goes up - so back to your comment on the benefit of paying more for a bike from another company - perhaps this is one angle to consider as perhaps those premium brands hold more spares just in case of situations like this.

In terms of denting your bike - how bad was it? Photos? I've had a spectral for 18 months now and ridden it hard on DHs, Enduros and in some rocky/rough terrain and not had any issues. So I'm wondering if I've been lucky or you were unlucky.

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 7:57 Quote
I just flipped a shit on the concierge service that I was using to get mine reshipped to the USA because they won't give me my customer # from canyon, claiming it puts their business in jeopardy.... So the only info I get on shipping delays is the bullshit they feed me... Lol

Posted: Jul 31, 2015 at 8:00 Quote
I'm thinking since I told them it was out of stock until x date and paid them, they just didn't place the order until then. When I specifically asked them to pre order it.

Posted: Aug 1, 2015 at 11:36 Quote
Just checked the exchange rate today, a strive 8 is £3250 delivered to the door in the UK. If buying in euros and delivered to an address in the euro zone £ 2290.00 hell of a saving to be had .

Posted: Aug 1, 2015 at 12:33 Quote
Rgas wrote:
Just checked the exchange rate today, a strive 8 is £3250 delivered to the door in the UK. If buying in euros and delivered to an address in the euro zone £ 2290.00 hell of a saving to be had .
yeah I'm lucky enough to have a place in France so I got mine delivered there then it was around £100 for courier to the UK. Might end up starting a wee business with it!

Posted: Aug 1, 2015 at 13:07 Quote
mtbboy05 wrote:
Rgas wrote:
yeah I'm lucky enough to have a place in France so I got mine delivered there then it was around £100 for courier to the UK. Might end up starting a wee business with it!

Nice mate.

What courier did you use ?

Regards

Posted: Aug 2, 2015 at 1:15 Quote
What pressure are people running in their monarchs? I cant find much info on pressures online

Posted: Aug 2, 2015 at 3:30 Quote
Pump it up till you get the right amount of sag. How much pressure depends on how much you weigh, how much sag depends on what you're planning on riding.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014170
Mobile Version of Website