Piecing Together a Diamondback

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Piecing Together a Diamondback
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 24, 2014 at 10:02 Quote
Hi all, I've recently purchased an XL 2012 Diamondback Mission Pro frame off of ebay. I am currently in the process of choosing how to piece it together and am trying to figure out my suspension components for it.

A little info on myself, I'm 6'3" and ~150 pounds so not a massive amount of weight pushing on the frame. I am building this for some All mountain/freeride and the occasional DH sprint when I can travel to some hills. I will also be doing some dirt jumps locally at a built up section in a state park.

I am trying to get feedback if I can put a 7" dual crown on this frame. From Diamondback they had a supposed 6-6.3" SC travel and look like a beefy headtube/top tube/down tube joint. With a HA of 65 degrees, I was thinking of trying to run this as standard to start with and maybe eventually pick up an angleset to sit it down at about 63.5 degrees. Does anyone see a problem with this?

My other question is really only relevant should I be able to put a DC on this frame. If I go 7" travel in the front, is there a problem running the standard 6.3" (160mm) travel rear shock or will this difference cause negative handling effects/damage?

Here is the frame set link: http://www.diamondback.com/all-mountain_2012-mission-pro-frameset
And here is the complete bike spec for reference: http://www.diamondback.com/2012-mission-pro

Thanks for any advice and help,
Caleb.

Posted: Apr 30, 2014 at 18:42 Quote
Travel isn't determined by the shock. That is to say you can't add travel in the back. So your stuck with it. Why do you want dual crowns?

Posted: Apr 30, 2014 at 19:33 Quote
Dual Crowns for added stiffness in the front end, especially when doing larger jumps and drops to flats. I won't be able to afford top of the line new stuff so I am looking at used stuff from last generation if that accounts for anything. Just trying to figure out how much extra stress a dual crown of the same travel would produce over a single crown or if attempting to adapt the DC to SC stock frame is considered ridiculous. I've yet to see a DC mission pro, but I've also yet to see a whole lot of modified mission pro's in general.

Posted: Apr 30, 2014 at 19:38 Quote
Just check axle to crown lengths. I don't think you'll be able to find a DC that has one similar enough. If it were a 180mm fork that you wanted to replace than that would be a different story. You'll need to get a DC lowered. Honesty you'll be fine with a 160-179 single crown for what you want to do.

Posted: Apr 30, 2014 at 20:16 Quote
Hmm, if I found a fork with a similar crown length, say the Boxxer U-Turn or some of the older 160-170mm DC, theoretically it should work?
And I will take a look into some of the 160mm SC forks. Thanks for your input by the way!

Posted: Apr 30, 2014 at 20:26 Quote
Yep no problem! As long as the axle to crown is similar then the geo won't be f*cked to bad haha.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011696
Mobile Version of Website