Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 4:12 Quote
Charge262 wrote:
The Monarch has been getting some flack with its custom tune for the Patrol. I'd sent it to have it re-tuned or consider swapping it out. There seems to be no happy medium for the settings with its stock tune, leaving it kangarooing back and forth through the travel, or not responding at all.

The Float X I slapped on mine has been prime.

Have you noticed any packing up or harshness with the fox? only asking as before I buy a ccdba I'd like to rule out the bikes suspension design as the problem.

Cheers

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 4:43 Quote
Not yet, will be able to give you more insight later this week though.

So far it all seems OK. The suspension design is a well established one- there should be no issue there.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 11:41 Quote
travo wrote:
Charge262 wrote:
The Monarch has been getting some flack with its custom tune for the Patrol. I'd sent it to have it re-tuned or consider swapping it out. There seems to be no happy medium for the settings with its stock tune, leaving it kangarooing back and forth through the travel, or not responding at all.

Have you noticed any packing up or harshness with the fox? only asking as before I buy a ccdba I'd like to rule out the bikes suspension design as the problem.

Cheers
have you considered a marzochi 053? looks sick and cheaper than the competition

Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 0:07 Quote
Giladgu wrote:

I did consider it but it's a bit too much of an unknown, there's no reviews out there and whilst I swear by Marzocchi for forks I'm not so sure on there shocks, plus I've had a few CCDB's so rather stick with something I know works well.

I'm still getting one of there seatposts when they come out though, thats mainly due to the very sensible fact I reckon it'll look awesome with the 350 ncr forks...

Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 1:33 Quote
travo wrote:
Giladgu wrote:

I did consider it but it's a bit too much of an unknown, there's no reviews out there and whilst I swear by Marzocchi for forks I'm not so sure on there shocks, plus I've had a few CCDB's so rather stick with something I know works well.

I'm still getting one of there seatposts when they come out though, thats mainly due to the very sensible fact I reckon it'll look awesome with the 350 ncr forks...

I can't help but think it would look 100x better if you had all 3 espresso coated though Wink

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 6:35 Quote
hambee-enchurbro wrote:
travo wrote:
Giladgu wrote:

I can't help but think it would look 100x better if you had all 3 espresso coated though Wink
yepp! Worst case if u buy it an don't like it then u get it push'd and then u have it fully customized to u, super sexy, and still cheaper than a ccdba

Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 12:16 Quote
If you are regularly riding really harsh track's why don't you put a ti coil on?

Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 15:36 Quote
rhyssutton wrote:
If you are regularly riding really harsh track's why don't you put a ti coil on?
I swapped a coil double barrel out for a db air on a previous bike and found it worked just about as well, plus, without sounding like a weight weenie, the air shock is a pound lighter.
I got a ccdba on the patrol now so just need to get some ride time on it to get it dialed in.

Part of me does think I should have tried the new marzocchi though as that espresso coating would definitely look good all around.

Posted: Apr 1, 2015 at 3:32 Quote
So I've been given the go ahead from the boss to get my patrol on! Just have to decide on the colour, will be swapping the shock for my new ccdba to get a few pennies back, should be pretty sweet! The covert is a great bike mind I just crave the longer geo of one of these things, will be hard to give the covert up though!

Posted: Apr 1, 2015 at 10:43 Quote
nealy578 wrote:
So I've been given the go ahead from the boss to get my patrol on! Just have to decide on the colour, will be swapping the shock for my new ccdba to get a few pennies back, should be pretty sweet! The covert is a great bike mind I just crave the longer geo of one of these things, will be hard to give the covert up though!

I know where you are coming from. I didn't want to give my Covert up either, but I have no regrets, the Patrol is just something else, it is really in a completely different league to ride.

Posted: Apr 1, 2015 at 10:58 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
nealy578 wrote:

I know where you are coming from. I didn't want to give my Covert up either, but I have no regrets, the Patrol is just something else, it is really in a completely different league to ride.

My coverts modified anyway running 650b forks and wheels, but the geo will be better on the patrol and I should get decent money for mine being the carbon version, and I will be selling the Monarch shock and putting my ccdba (or selling the ccdba) on there so I won't actually be a great deal out of pocket in the long run once other bits are sold, the only question is orange or black, both colours in stock in my size and I can just go and pick one up whenever!

Posted: Apr 1, 2015 at 11:08 Quote
nealy578 wrote:
wythall1 wrote:
nealy578 wrote:

My coverts modified anyway running 650b forks and wheels, but the geo will be better on the patrol and I should get decent money for mine being the carbon version, and I will be selling the Monarch shock and putting my ccdba (or selling the ccdba) on there so I won't actually be a great deal out of pocket in the long run once other bits are sold, the only question is orange or black, both colours in stock in my size and I can just go and pick one up whenever!

I went with Orange, partly because I really like it and secondly, I don't like looking after satin black paint on bikes.

Posted: Apr 1, 2015 at 11:16 Quote
wythall1 wrote:
nealy578 wrote:
wythall1 wrote:

I went with Orange, partly because I really like it and secondly, I don't like looking after satin black paint on bikes.

Anything will be a godsend after matte white!

Posted: Apr 2, 2015 at 22:43 Quote
travo wrote:
Charge262 wrote:

Cheers

I removed the 2 volume bands from the Monarch+ and went for a ride today. Gotta say that I'm pretty impressed by the change in ride.

I also put an extra 15psi in the shock to compensate for the gain in volume. The 1st thing I noticed was that I kept checking if I had a puncture because the rear end had that feeling. It definitely felt smoother straight away.

A negative that I did notice was that the bike didn't "pump" as well as it did before. But in saying that, it was a pretty freakishly good pumping bike before so it's probably still not too bad.

I normally use 60mm out of the full 63mm stroke on my local rides. After the volume band removal and the 15psi increase in shock pressure I also used 60mm of shock shaft. After the ride I dropped my shock down by 5psi and am looking forward to testing it out tomorrow morning. Hopefully I'll come home with the o-ring all the way to the bottom.

Posted: Apr 2, 2015 at 22:55 Quote
Charge262 wrote:
Not yet, will be able to give you more insight later this week though.

So far it all seems OK. The suspension design is a well established one- there should be no issue there.

Yes the design is well established but I don't think it has been used in quite this style. Specialized has always used quite linear leverage ratios and to my knowledge has never used a Monarch rc3 from the factory. While transition have used a very progressive leverage ratio combined with quite an aggressive compression tune.

I believe that the extremely progressive leverage ratio has combined with the monarch plus to combine what the suspension industry refers to as "hydraulic lock". From what I've found this is made worse from the 2 volume bands that the bike has factory installed. I suspect that heavier riders running more psi mm rougher terrain will also encounter this more often. I have come to these conclusions after reading a q and a session with Craig from Avalanche suspension on Mtbr.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016406
Mobile Version of Website