I want to put a 28t bmx sprocket on a mtb

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
I want to put a 28t bmx sprocket on a mtb
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 24, 2014 at 15:46 Quote
Has the title state i want to put a 28t sprocket on my mtb but the bike chain dosnt fit i have 8 gears on my mbt what can i do and solutions out there.. Pleaze help

FL
Posted: Oct 24, 2014 at 21:17 Quote
So Bmx and mountain bike chains and sprockets have different gapping, so a Bmx sprocket will never work with mtb chain vide versa

Posted: Oct 25, 2014 at 8:55 Quote
You need a new crank... That's it,.. There are ways around this if your crank has a 4 or 5 bolt spider but those are rare. And even then the minimum tooth count for Crome cranks like that is 30t. I have one that I took off my Specialized.... If you're interested

Posted: Oct 26, 2014 at 6:13 Quote
omtimasprime wrote:
So Bmx and mountain bike chains and sprockets have different gapping, so a Bmx sprocket will never work with mtb chain vide versa

Not entirely true. Yes there are different chains out there and MTB chains are narrower than BMX chains BUT you may be able to get a BMX chain to fit an MTB sprocket or even an MTB chain to fit BMX sprockets. The BMX sprockets that will fit an MTB chain are usually marketed as race or kids because the teeth are so slim.

MTB chains are narrower so they will flex better side to side for the use of gears.

So if you HAVE the sprocket then you need a chain to fit and a cog. You will not be able to run gears on the back if that is your goal, you will have to run single speed.

Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 9:32 Quote
from Sheldon Brown's page:
http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ch.html

Modern bicycles use roller chain to connect the cranks to the rear wheel. Chain drives are among the most efficient means of power transmission known.
Chain size is specified by pitch and width. The pitch is the distance between rollers (1/2" on all modern bicycle chain). The width is the internal width where the sprocket teeth fit in. Bicycle chain comes in four basic widths:
•3/16" (.1875", 4.76 mm), used until the middle of the 20th century on many bicycles; this was inch-pitch chain.
•1/8" (0.125", 3.18 mm) chain is used on most single-speed bicycles, and bicycles with internal gearing.
•3/32" (0.094", 2.30 mm) chain is used on derailer equipped bicycles that have more than 3 cogs at the rear.
•Even somewhat narrower chain, typically .090" or 2.29 mm between the inner plates, is used for derailer-equipped bicycles with 10 or more sprockets at the rear.

Chains for derailer applications also come in various external widths. Newer clusters which have more sprockets use chain with thinner side plates and with rivets whose ends are flush with the side plates.

For more information on chains, see my article on Chain Maintenance.

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 13:02 Quote
Thanks for all your comments,, I just want to put my profile cranks on the mtb what sproket would be best anyone thanks

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 17:00 Quote
Nay BMX sprocker with any BMX chain and any LBS will sell you a cog to go with it.

Posted: Nov 10, 2014 at 17:04 Quote
BigGinge wrote:
Thanks for all your comments,, I just want to put my profile cranks on the mtb what sproket would be best anyone thanks

I haven't confirmed, but Tsage over here says that Profile does make a 3/32" sprocket that could be used with a geared chain.....
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=5001036#p5001036

Posted: May 24, 2019 at 10:30 Quote
Hi
There are bmx cassete sprockets 3/32 compatible with a 8 speed mtb cassete
You can chahge the cogs that are perfecly aligned with the chainrings or it will break the chain easy

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 18:31 Quote
I turned a bmx sprocket down on a lathe once to get my 9 speed chain to mesh, so they don't all fit. You can buy spiders for profile cranks to put a variety of different BCD style chainrings on. I have a couple different ones of them if you are interested.

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 19:55 Quote
I run a Profile 30 tooth and BMX cranks with a sram gx dh 7 speed set up, works great ! Runs an 11 speed chain ( 3/32" )

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 20:01 Quote
ATV25 wrote:
I run a Profile 30 tooth and BMX cranks with a sram gx dh 7 speed set up, works great ! Runs an 11 speed chain ( 3/32" )

It is their imperial model sprocket .

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023171
Mobile Version of Website