2000 Norco VPS-3 Frame

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
2000 Norco VPS-3 Frame
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 8:30 Quote
Ok so I got this old Norco frame, I decided to use it because I am a bug guy and I want to do some drops and things that will break light duty stuff, unless its stuff outside my price range anyhow Smile
I also like things that are unusual and vintage Smile

That said, I need a little help with specs, Norco does not have anything on their website to help me and the LBS that is Norco authorised around here, well its the only time I have ever been told point blank that if I was not going to spend some money I should go elsewhere.
That shop is kinda on my black list.....

SO all the headset specs I can find say its a 1 1/8" headset, I say cant be. The head tube measures 34mm at the headset fit?? I plan to install my DJ3's and will need an adaptor, is this 1-1/4" to 1-1/8" ??

Next I have some problems with the linkage bits, all the frame parts are in VERY good condition and threads are ace.
But I removed everything to clean it up and found the bearings and pivots are in need of replacement.
The bearings are easy, same size as rollerskate bearings, my kids do Derby so I have BonesReds all over the place Smile
The pivots use a really long chaining bolts (16mm outer) and I had to destroy three of the four to get them out.
Any ideas on this?

Anyone know where/how I can get hold of Norco directly for something my Norco LBS is not willing to assist with?

Ideas? These seem like pretty simple issues to abandon this for......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

In the end I used 15mm long chaining bolts and put them in the recessed fittings. Worked fine.

The head set was in fact 1 1/8" standard. Just looked big as the frame is very beefy.

I got plastic bushings from IGUS.COM JFM-1012-05 iglide® J, flange bushing (metric)
I had to file them down for length a little but that was a snap.

Seems to ride A1 so far!!

Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 20:53 Quote
Im also rebuilding my old VPS. Your right on the bearings, standard skateboard/ inline bearing.
As for the pivot bolts, I just took one of mine into my lbs and they gave me what i needed which was the female side only.
Also you have to try and save the pivot bushes. They are impossible to find, i looked everywhere online with no luck. Eventually i found some at my lbs in the back of a drawer. It was a Christmas miracle.

So you might have to bite the bullet and at least get parts from your lbs.

Or there are a bunch of websites such as chainreaction.com or jensonusa.com that may be able to help you.

Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 15:40 Quote
I was able to keep the pivot bushes so I am ok there. Tried all the online stuff longest I can find is 15mm I need at least one 16mm female side.

decided to get creative for the one that is damaged beyond use. I am going to take what is left of the outer and grind it down to make a spacer, drop it all the way down on a 16mm inner to make it a shoulder, then use a standard length outer to meet it in the middle. Should work Razz

squealer86 wrote:
Im also rebuilding my old VPS. Your right on the bearings, standard skateboard/ inline bearing.
As for the pivot bolts, I just took one of mine into my lbs and they gave me what i needed which was the female side only.
Also you have to try and save the pivot bushes. They are impossible to find, i looked everywhere online with no luck. Eventually i found some at my lbs in the back of a drawer. It was a Christmas miracle.

So you might have to bite the bullet and at least get parts from your lbs.

Or there are a bunch of websites such as chainreaction.com or jensonusa.com that may be able to help you.

Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 16:46 Quote
better post pics of the build. It will turn out well those things a boss

Posted: Nov 5, 2014 at 10:11 Quote
norcodudeman wrote:
better post pics of the build. It will turn out well those things a boss

Thanx Smile not very many peeps are supporting my decision to use this frame lol.

But that's likely because I do a lot of single track stuff, but my reasoning is I want to do drops and more of the challenging things on the trails, a bit more weight slowing me down but opening me up to do that stuff seems a good trade off.

After I 'restore' the frame I am just moving my stuff from my existing bike over.

This wont be a beauty build, I just want to make it clean and working right Smile

Posted: Nov 6, 2014 at 8:53 Quote
I started looking at the shock it came with last night.
I don't expect these came with a long shock but this one seems very short?

16cm eye to eye? That's 6.3" btw Full stroke travel of the shock itself Smile about 1.5"
It looks right in the frame... Like I would know lol

Anyone know what this frame should have?

Frame pic:

photo

Posted: Nov 6, 2014 at 19:19 Quote
Looks just like mine, Fox Vanilla R...Thats what it came with from the factory.
Im wondering what newer shock will fit in there. maybe using those other mounting holes in the swing arm. im just not sure what eye to eye length would fit...8.5"? 8.75"?

Posted: Nov 10, 2014 at 14:45 Quote
squealer86 wrote:
Looks just like mine, Fox Vanilla R...Thats what it came with from the factory.
Im wondering what newer shock will fit in there. maybe using those other mounting holes in the swing arm. im just not sure what eye to eye length would fit...8.5"? 8.75"?

Well if that's the stocker.....

Not much longer I am sure, the other holes were for a different suspension mode as I have read.

100mm – 140mm Rear Wheel Travel selectable.
Supposed to be a fair bit better in tight stuff and better climber in 100mm mode.
You can guess what the 140mm mode was for Smile

I think it will be damn hard to find another shock with a 6.3" to 6.5" eye to eye Frown

Posted: Nov 13, 2014 at 10:57 Quote
Well I got stalled, the pivot bushings looked ok but when I put them back in they bind, looked closely and there are sections of metal sticking thru the friction reduced coatings.

sux, now to find some new stuff, fortunately these are fairly normal sized items.

I have found some close replicas on the web, going to start the LBS tour this week and see what they can offer.

Did some reading and found that the modern plastic stuff is better than these metal hybrid PTFE things anyhow:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/To-The-Point-Bushings-2013.html

Posted: Nov 13, 2014 at 13:20 Quote
Ok, as I said b4 I wont go to this one LBS that is Norco authorised. I wont post their name because I just think that's uncalled for, I wont enter their shop ever again but peeps should get their own impressions....

That said I went to my LBS Arrowsmith bikes here in Nanaimo, turns out they can order directly from Norco and made a phone call to a 'time machine' guy that knew a bit about old bikes Smile

Norco still has the bushing kits in stock!!! includes both the bushings and the pins, not bearings but I have those already anyhow Smile

30$ is not a horrible price to pay Smile I am fairly happy here.

Yes I am endorsing Arrowsmith, and no I wont flame the other place Smile

Posted: Nov 15, 2014 at 10:50 Quote
Excellent, thanks for the heads up about the bushes.
I found the last remaining stock at my LBS so i grabbed them.
Im done painting my frame now, almost ready to clean/ grease and assemble everything. Im pumped.

I still would like to replace my rear shock for something newer at some point, even though mine is still in good working order. Im still not sure what size i can bump up to...I measured the eye to eye on mine and its 7.75". So im thinking i might be able to get away with an 8.5" shock back there.

Posted: Nov 16, 2014 at 19:15 Quote
squealer86 wrote:
Excellent, thanks for the heads up about the bushes.
I found the last remaining stock at my LBS so i grabbed them.
Im done painting my frame now, almost ready to clean/ grease and assemble everything. Im pumped.

I still would like to replace my rear shock for something newer at some point, even though mine is still in good working order. Im still not sure what size i can bump up to...I measured the eye to eye on mine and its 7.75". So im thinking i might be able to get away with an 8.5" shock back there.

do you have the straight shock links like in my pic or are yours angled?

Posted: Nov 17, 2014 at 20:43 Quote
Mine are angled.
Also I have discovered that the standard skateboard/ rollerblade bearings wont work...The outside diameter of the bearing is very close, but its the inside diameter of the bearing that is to small to fit the steel shaft that links the swing arm to the frame where the bearings are the pivot point. Does this make sense?

It looks like the bearings may be 6202-2rs
Or 62202-2rs.
Looks like the only difference between the two are the width of the bearings.

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 at 7:41 Quote
squealer86 wrote:
Mine are angled.
Also I have discovered that the standard skateboard/ rollerblade bearings wont work...The outside diameter of the bearing is very close, but its the inside diameter of the bearing that is to small to fit the steel shaft that links the swing arm to the frame where the bearings are the pivot point. Does this make sense?

It looks like the bearings may be 6202-2rs
Or 62202-2rs.
Looks like the only difference between the two are the width of the bearings.

I will have a look, but the bearings I pulled out were stamped as 6202
the 2rs part of the number is just seals, the 62202 is wider and would affect the overall width of the assembly. It is the only diff between them as they both take a 15mm shaft on the inside and fit into a 35mm bore.
I will take a micrometer to them tonight.

http://medias.schaeffler.com/medias/en!hp.ec.br.pr/62..-2RSR*6202-2RSR?clrsb=1
http://medias.schaeffler.com/medias/en!hp.ec.br.pr/622..-2RSR*62202-2RSR

as for the shock, the angled pivot arms allow for a longer shock. But don't put in anything longer than the frame is designed for. It will change a lot regarding the geometry and likely not give you anything good in return for what you lose.

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 at 8:51 Quote
Ok good. 6202 is what I was thinking. The bearings I pulled out of the frame had some crappy paper-like seals on them.
ka6ax was the only number I found on them.
Made in Japan. I measured them and found the 6202 number last night. So I'll order some of those.
As for rear shock. The only thing I can find in my size are air shocks.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014946
Mobile Version of Website