Found a nice DJ project bike

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Found a nice DJ project bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 14, 2015 at 10:15 Quote
I recently shattered my collarbone on a jump gone wrong and decided to build a bike during my recovery time. I went to a local used bike coop store and found this gem in the rubble. I think its a 2005 P2. Dirty and scratched up but functionally its fine. Grabbed the frame and an old set of Marzocchi forks for 70 bucks. Any ideas/reccomendations? Already ordered a race face crank and bb. Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/chadumbachusmc/SubstandardFullSizeRender-1_zpsblcdl8ep.jpg

Posted: Apr 15, 2015 at 18:14 Quote
Wash it up see how it is underneath. If it's too bad you may find a local guy to anodize it, just look for a company that does it, go hang out in the back till some guy comes out and ask.

Posted: Apr 15, 2015 at 22:39 Quote
I'm not a big fan of building up an old frame with new parts. If you can find other used parts, it could be worth it !!

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 4:52 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
I'm not a big fan of building up an old frame with new parts. If you can find other used parts, it could be worth it !!

Yeah, I feel that as well but some times..... You gotta do what you gotta do.

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 10:47 Quote
Sand it down and give it a nice new paint job..

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 2:12 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
Go raw!

Yess.. Although it would go back to being rusty...

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 2:54 Quote
OMGITSJORDAN wrote:
bikebike69 wrote:
Go raw!

Pretty sure it's aluminum...so....probably not possible. I've owned a LOT of p bikes both aluminum and cromo. The cromo ones don't look anything like this. Also, not a bad idea, this project I mean. If the frame snaps you could find a p frame for less on the buy and sell here. Anything pre 2010 is generally going to be dirt cheap.

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 4:08 Quote
OMGITSJORDAN wrote:
bikebike69 wrote:
Go raw!

Nope,it's aluminium. Raw will be just fine...polished would be even better,just more work.

Posted: Apr 17, 2015 at 15:41 Quote
Aluminum corrodes. There is a reason they anodize Alu, pure Alu will react violently with water so what your frame is made of has additives to prevent that. Long story short, it will take years for anything bad structurally to happen but to keep it looking nice will be a tonne of work. You can polish it then get it clear anodized for the same effect but much less maintenance. Anodizing does also increase the surface strength of the Alu making it a wee bit less prone to scratching.

Posted: Apr 20, 2015 at 21:42 Quote
Got my BB, crank, pedals, and headset installed. adding the cheap marzochi forks on tomorrow hopefully. was going to order a set of azonic outlaw wheels as well. broken collarbone and surgery for the plate has be moving pretty slow. ill get pics up tomorrow.

Posted: May 7, 2015 at 21:23 Quote
and here she is Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww232/chadumbachusmc/IMG_1654_zpsfovavrgo.jpg

Posted: May 7, 2015 at 22:06 Quote
Nice job man! Looks pretty old school... but I have a few oldies but goodies too so I can appreciate the look of it overall...

now, suggestions,,,

higher bar (50mm plus) shorter stem, lighter skinnier tires and lower the fork.. this frame will feel way better

Im only saying that because I recently put an NS district bar(3" rise) on a 2005 Norco 250 and lowered the fork and its one of my favorite bikes of all time....

Posted: May 8, 2015 at 8:34 Quote
What rear hub are you running?... Looks sexy haha

Posted: May 8, 2015 at 15:51 Quote
With the fork at that height I'd leave the bar but the stem would go before it left the house. No way I'd go with a 3" bar but I'm not up with modern stuff. I still run 5" cruiser bars on my cruiser to show how out of it I am. Most guys seem to be running "normal" BMX bars on cruisers.

I think it looks pretty decent.. Other than that stem... Wink

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011207
Mobile Version of Website