Trance SX cable rub issue - anyone seen this?

PB Forum :: Giant
Trance SX cable rub issue - anyone seen this?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 14, 2015 at 19:29 Quote
I've got a 2015 Trance SX, very new, probably around 8 rides total on it and around 15hrs riding time.

Tonight when I was wiping it down post ride I noticed something alarming - the rear derailleur cable has literally been rubbing a huge gouge in the aluminum of the BB shell underneath the BB. Currently the gouge is at least 1mm deep and I'm unsure how much more material is there to rub away until it's actually created a hole. There's a frayed section of housing that matches up with the gouge so it's pretty clear to me what's going on - whenever the rear triangle moves significantly the cable gets pulled against the BB.

The fact that this has happened so quickly on a new bike is very alarming to me - I consider it a design issue - you should be able to ride a properly set up bike from the shop without stuff like this happening.

Has anyone else run into this with the Trance or Trance SX? Going to take it into the shop tomorrow but would love to know if I'm not the only one.

Posted: Apr 14, 2015 at 23:48 Quote
Yup, had the same issue. Tried heli tape, but the housing would grab it and pull it off. Here's my permanent fix.
photo

Posted: Apr 16, 2015 at 8:47 Quote
cable tie with a barrel to allow movement will help, just loop it via the icg guide holes if not in use.
Otherwise lengthen the cable slack below the bb. it usually will not snag anything. I've not at least on my other bike with a longer slack.

By the time anything snags your cable, your chainring/bashguard would have hit it first anyways.

Posted: Apr 19, 2015 at 16:36 Quote
gbot wrote:
I've got a 2015 Trance SX, very new, probably around 8 rides total on it and around 15hrs riding time.

Tonight when I was wiping it down post ride I noticed something alarming - the rear derailleur cable has literally been rubbing a huge gouge in the aluminum of the BB shell underneath the BB. Currently the gouge is at least 1mm deep and I'm unsure how much more material is there to rub away until it's actually created a hole. There's a frayed section of housing that matches up with the gouge so it's pretty clear to me what's going on - whenever the rear triangle moves significantly the cable gets pulled against the BB.

The fact that this has happened so quickly on a new bike is very alarming to me - I consider it a design issue - you should be able to ride a properly set up bike from the shop without stuff like this happening.

Has anyone else run into this with the Trance or Trance SX? Going to take it into the shop tomorrow but would love to know if I'm not the only one.

I had this same issue with my trance, even if you lengthen the cable, the extra cable moves back into the frame and its starts again. I zip tied the front and rear derailleur cables together where they exited the frame so the extra cable does not move back in, I also put some frame protector tape where is was rubbing before for extra measure.

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 at 11:06 Quote
Just checked my Trance advanced 1, there's a thick helitape over the area. Shop must have done this when building the bike.

Posted: May 14, 2015 at 21:18 Quote
Oh my goodness someone has this too!
Does anyone else have a derailleur cable issue?
My cable goes 90 degrees straight into the derailleur and until I fixed it I had no idea what was happening.

Anyone have thus?

Posted: May 15, 2015 at 0:17 Quote
I had this too, luckily i spotted it before too late! Try fibres spiral frame protectors- rubber grommets which fit over the cable.

Posted: May 15, 2015 at 8:05 Quote
Just give it more slack below. Remember that the BB is suppose to move downwards. You can always test by deflating or bottoming out your shock to see really how much slack you need.

heres mine... u should try this
photo

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2015 at 13:34 Quote
I just went with more slack as well. To keep the excess housing from sliding into the frame ports, I put a zip tie on the housing and wrapped some electrical tape around it to keep it from sliding.

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 14:51 Quote
Did the same as USSR and mine has been problem free.

Posted: Jul 2, 2015 at 15:12 Quote
if you don't use the mounting tabs (ISG?) you could cable tie the cable loosely to one of these so the cable can still slide but it won't touch the BB area! There are various fixes like peeps have done on here, all simple.

Posted: Aug 3, 2015 at 12:43 Quote
i havent noticed any rubbing on my SX, but i do have a super annoying rattle from one of the cables running through the frame. It drives me nuts! I can pull the cable by hand and hear it knocking around against the inside of the frame.

O+
Posted: Aug 3, 2015 at 13:27 Quote
pull it tight, zip tie where it exits near the head tube, tape it so the tie doesn't slide.

Posted: Aug 3, 2015 at 16:17 Quote
it's gonna need more then that it seems. While it's occurring i can pull the cables slightly and the noise is still there. I need to take a close look at it before my next ride. It was nice and quiet for the first month or so of riding

Posted: Aug 3, 2015 at 16:24 Quote
Wrap two or three zip-ties around the housing leaving the ends long. Re-install housing inside the tube. The ends of the zip-ties will curl around the inside of the tube and keep the housing from boyncing around.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013394
Mobile Version of Website