A medium or large for first DJer?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
A medium or large for first DJer?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 6, 2015 at 11:08 Quote
Right guys, having been an XCer, converted to a DHer, I'm now looking to build my skills up with a DJ. I'm hoping to buy my first wee bike to develop on over the Summer.
I've seen a Saracen Amplitude on PB classifieds which I'm interested in but it's a large and I'm like, 5'9/5'10 depending on how thick my socks are. How different is a large going to be to someone who is already going to feel like a clown pedalling a cocktail sausage? If I go for a large frame, is that going to make it a bit more suitable for some park and 4X stuff? Or do I really really need to be going for a standard 14"er... or are they measured in millimeters? I can't tell. I still look at them and think I'm just really far away...

Posted: May 6, 2015 at 14:41 Quote
bluechair84 wrote:
Right guys, having been an XCer, converted to a DHer, I'm now looking to build my skills up with a DJ. I'm hoping to buy my first wee bike to develop on over the Summer.
I've seen a Saracen Amplitude on PB classifieds which I'm interested in but it's a large and I'm like, 5'9/5'10 depending on how thick my socks are. How different is a large going to be to someone who is already going to feel like a clown pedalling a cocktail sausage? If I go for a large frame, is that going to make it a bit more suitable for some park and 4X stuff? Or do I really really need to be going for a standard 14"er... or are they measured in millimeters? I can't tell. I still look at them and think I'm just really far away...

DJ frames are not measured by seat tube at all, because often a Small, Medium, and Large all have the same or similar seat tube height (i.e. very low). You don't sit down in DJ riding. The main thing that is relevant is the "reach" in the front end.

DJ frames also tend to be measured by ACTUAL top tube, not "effective." A 22" top tube is considered Medium, and a 22.5" or 23" is considered a Large.

You could ride a Medium or Large.

Posted: May 7, 2015 at 10:33 Quote
Thanks for the info. I'm torn between a medium frame to build up or a large complete build

Posted: May 7, 2015 at 14:17 Quote
bluechair84 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I'm torn between a medium frame to build up or a large complete build

What frame and bike?

Remember, you could get a 35mm reach stem instead of 50, if you wanted to shorten the reach on a Large. Or vice versa ....

Posted: May 7, 2015 at 22:36 Quote
A medium size 26er Evil has come up which ticks all the boxes so I may no longer have to compromise. It was a large saracen amplitude though. Good looking frame

O+
Posted: May 8, 2015 at 21:27 Quote
I'm 6'4" on a medium frame, I just figure I'll learn how to ride it.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014995
Mobile Version of Website