Brake bleeding

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Brake bleeding
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 31, 2015 at 11:09 Quote
I have a Jamis Nemesis 650 with a Tektro hydraulic brake system (HDC 300 i think). I had the bike sitting dissasembled in my garage over the winter and I'm guessing the cold caused the hydralic fluid to expand because the brakes are completely closed up, I can't even put the wheels in.

I'm considering getting a brake bleed kit but it's already almost September, and I'm wondering if it's possible to drain the fluid or something like that when winter does come around because I wouldn't want the same thing happening again since it would be a waste of money and time.

Posted: Sep 4, 2015 at 10:35 Quote
bump. could anyone offer me some advice on this?

Posted: Sep 5, 2015 at 7:11 Quote
no experience of winter as its tropical here. might want to burp the brakes. Just open the lever bleeding screw with the lever parallel from the ground and let the air inside escape. if no fluid comes out, close it back and reset the pistons (push it back in) and open the bleed port again. If brakes feels funny, rebleed them it only takes 10min, why is it a waste of money?

Posted: Sep 5, 2015 at 19:26 Quote
As far as I know, winter storage shouldn't have any kind of effect like that. Excess brake fluid doesn't just appear out of nowhere.

It sounds like someone probably operated the lever with the rotors out of the caliper and just squeezed the pads together. If that's the case, then you should be able to force the pads back apart with gentle pressure from a screwdriver or other prying device. As long as you don't go crazy and chew up the pads nothing will be hurt. We do this all the time at the shop I work for.

If that doesn't work, then perhaps bleeding might help, but that's a big kettle of fish to get into if you haven't done it before. Unless you are a very mechanically inclined person, I wouldn't recommend trying this at home. It certainly is possible, but the learning curve can be steep and expensive.

Best of luck.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009665
Mobile Version of Website