Nutrition and Workouts for Athletic Performance

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Nutrition and Workouts for Athletic Performance
O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2016 at 20:44 Quote
Jack-T-Media wrote:
Also, does anyone know a good 30 minute workout to burn fat/calories that i could repeat every dayto get ready for racing season. Obviously im already eating a healthy diet and riding regularly but i need something else. Perhaps sprint training? i used to use a road bike on a trainer but now i dont have the roadie and the mtb tyres are too loud

The most calories you can burn per minute would be H.I.I.T which stands for High Intensity Interval Training. It involves short high intensity bursts for 15-30 seconds with rest/low intensity intervals of 30-60 seconds. During the high intensity interval you go as hard as you can. You can do any form of cardio(or any workout for that matter) imaginable. A good interval for starters is 15 sec of high intensity with 45-60 seconds of rest or low intensity. On a stationary bike I will max out the bike for 30 seconds and then put it on low for the 30 second rest, but it took me weeks of doing it 4-5 times a week to work up to that interval. Generally you will do about 11 intervals (11 high and 11 low intensity) but you can do more or less depending on your intended training volume. After 15-20 minutes I am absolutely dead and you can burn 1,000+ calories! You want to warm up and cool down for at least 2 minutes before and after activity.

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2016 at 21:16 Quote
[Quote="blkmrktrider156"]
Jack-T-Media wrote:
Also, does anyone know a good 30 minute workout to burn fat/calories that i could repeat every dayto get ready for racing season. Obviously im already eating a healthy diet and riding regularly but i need something else. Perhaps sprint training? i used to use a road bike on a trainer but now i dont have the roadie and the mtb tyres are too loud

The most calories you can burn per minute would be H.I.I.T which stands for High Intensity Interval Training. It involves short high intensity bursts for 15-30 seconds with rest/low intensity intervals of 30-60 seconds. During the high intensity interval you go as hard as you can. You can do any form of cardio(or any workout for that matter) imaginable. A good interval for starters is 15 sec of high intensity with 45-60 seconds of rest or low intensity. On a stationary bike I will max out the bike for 30 seconds and then put it on low for the 30 second rest, but it took me weeks of doing it 4-5 times a week to work up to that interval. Generally you will do about 11 intervals (11 high and 11 low intensity) but you can do more or less depending on your intended training volume. After 15-20 minutes I am absolutely dead and you can burn 1,000+ calories! You want to warm up and cool down for at least 2 minutes before and after activity.[/Quote

thanks, one more question. after you have burned all of your available calories do you then begin to burn fat cells? i just want to slim down a bit before race season

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2016 at 9:36 Quote
I just purchased Enduromtb.com six month training guide with nutrition plan. From looking through it, looks very promising. Just completed third day of first week today.

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2016 at 17:54 Quote
[Quote="Jack-T-Media"]
blkmrktrider156 wrote:
Jack-T-Media wrote:

The most calories you can burn per minute would be H.I.I.T which stands for High Intensity Interval Training. It involves short high intensity bursts for 15-30 seconds with rest/low intensity intervals of 30-60 seconds. During the high intensity interval you go as hard as you can. You can do any form of cardio(or any workout for that matter) imaginable. A good interval for starters is 15 sec of high intensity with 45-60 seconds of rest or low intensity. On a stationary bike I will max out the bike for 30 seconds and then put it on low for the 30 second rest, but it took me weeks of doing it 4-5 times a week to work up to that interval. Generally you will do about 11 intervals (11 high and 11 low intensity) but you can do more or less depending on your intended training volume. After 15-20 minutes I am absolutely dead and you can burn 1,000+ calories! You want to warm up and cool down for at least 2 minutes before and after activity.[/Quote

thanks, one more question. after you have burned all of your available calories do you then begin to burn fat cells? i just want to slim down a bit before race season

This is a little complicated so ill try and make it as simple as possible. A calorie is a measure of energy. The three sources of food energy are carbohydrates, protein, and fat. One gram of carbs/protein gives about 4 calories and one gram of fat gives about 9 calories. There are stored forms of all of them. Stored fat is triglycerides and they are held in fat cells. Freely moving fat us known as free fatty acids. Stored protein is muscle tissue and the ready to use form is amino acids. Stored carbs are in the form of glycogen and the readily available form is glucose(blood sugar). Everything we do uses calories, and depending on the duration and intensity we will either use carbs, fat, or protein or a combination. Long duration, low intensity exercise burns mostly fat while short duration, high intensity uses mostly carbs. Protien does not get used as much(and you dont want it to) but long duration high intensity exercise will use all 3 types. You dont want to use protein as energy because that is your body breaking down its muscle tissue. If you want to lose weight/get rid of fat the best way is the H.I.I.T. style workouts that I explained previously. Doing long duration low intensity exercise will burn mostly fat over carbs and protein but it will burn far less fat than if you did a H.I.I.T. style workout which burns a ton of carbs and a ton of fat.

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2016 at 2:05 Quote
Ok thankyou. How long is "long" when it comes to long, high intensity Excerise

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2016 at 16:03 Quote
You can start losing muscle mass after about 30 minutes of riding/running/etc. I consider mountain biking, at least the way i ride, as high intensity exercise

Posted: Mar 20, 2016 at 15:25 Quote
So I've a huge problem. In XC races, I'll be doing great up into the hour/ hour and a half mark, and then I'd suddenly get a huge drop in energy and go from winning to crawling in 5 minutes. I take an SIS gel after I hit the crawling stage, and it slowly takes me back to normality. I don't think it's a fitness issue too, as I'd consider myself to be fairly fit. I'm 16 years old, 5 foot 7 and weigh around 55 kg with no body fat, due to my metabolism mostly. I'm kind of thinking it could be a nutritional problem though. I don't take my diet as seriously as I should. All I eat between breakfast (wheetabix) and race start is a bag of nuts. For the day before the race I eat whatever my mom makes, but it usually has at least 3 potatoes in it whatever the meal because Ireland. For hydration I drink a lot of water 2-3 days before the race, and use 1.5 hydration tablets in my 500ml of water. I don't drink any alcohol. I'm thinking it could be food that's causing my energy crash, or lack or it, but I'm not sure exactly what I should eat and when? Thanks!

FL
Posted: Mar 20, 2016 at 16:26 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
So I've a huge problem. In XC races, I'll be doing great up into the hour/ hour and a half mark, and then I'd suddenly get a huge drop in energy and go from winning to crawling in 5 minutes. I take an SIS gel after I hit the crawling stage, and it slowly takes me back to normality. I don't think it's a fitness issue too, as I'd consider myself to be fairly fit. I'm 16 years old, 5 foot 7 and weigh around 55 kg with no body fat, due to my metabolism mostly. I'm kind of thinking it could be a nutritional problem though. I don't take my diet as seriously as I should. All I eat between breakfast (wheetabix) and race start is a bag of nuts. For the day before the race I eat whatever my mom makes, but it usually has at least 3 potatoes in it whatever the meal because Ireland. For hydration I drink a lot of water 2-3 days before the race, and use 1.5 hydration tablets in my 500ml of water. I don't drink any alcohol. I'm thinking it could be food that's causing my energy crash, or lack or it, but I'm not sure exactly what I should eat and when? Thanks!

Do you eat anything prior to the bonk? If you eat SIS gel after and it helps that'd point to low carbohydrate from burning blood and muscle glycogen stores. Nuts are primarily fat, bad for high intensity activity because they require energy to break down and oxygen to burn. Simple sugars 15-30 minutes before the race would be better, and if your racing over 1.5 hours good chance you'll want to consume simple carbs during the race (prior to bonking).

Posted: Mar 20, 2016 at 18:04 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
It may be a bonk, since as octane said, onboard carbs last 1.5-2 hours, but often it's a lack of fitness also. Do you have a good endurance base (~3 hour easy rides) and a fair bit of tempo/stamina training, so you can sustain race pace for 1-2 hours?

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2016 at 18:14 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:

You are not properly fueling your body. Racers need to eat 3,000 or more calories a day leading up to a race and while training. The day before race day you should eat as many carbs as possible to maximize your glycogen (stored carb) storage. The morning of you should have some carbs and fats in the morning, i go with bagels with almond butter and honey. When you eat it takes time for the food to get digested and turned into blood sugar for your body to utilize it. Eat 1-2 hours before the start of the race and even have a gel/goo/honey 15 min before the start. After that you have to eat preemptively, if you eat after your body burns all your energy then you have to catch up. I would make sure to take a carb source every 5 miles during a race to keep my blood sugar up. The lower your blood sugar gets the more glycogen you have to break down and use. Once your body runs out of glycogen thats hittibg "the wall."

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 16:17 Quote
Hi, I am 16 years old and female, 5’6 and about 140lbs. I can see that I have excess weight to lose, especially around my stomach and thighs. I am vegetarian and an avid mountain biker. I have just finished an 101km road race, which I had been training for, so now that that is over I can really get into mountain biking. (I am planning on competing this year) I was wondering what I should be eating (I am vegetarian) and how much I should be biking to get down to a leaner weight

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2016 at 1:21 Quote
emborthwick wrote:
Hi, I am 16 years old and female, 5’6 and about 140lbs. I can see that I have excess weight to lose, especially around my stomach and thighs. I am vegetarian and an avid mountain biker. I have just finished an 101km road race, which I had been training for, so now that that is over I can really get into mountain biking. (I am planning on competing this year) I was wondering what I should be eating (I am vegetarian) and how much I should be biking to get down to a leaner weight

YOU'RE A VEGETARIAN!?!?!?

jk

The key with properly dieting as a vegetarian is good quality carbs, being that carbs dominate a vegetarians diet. Stay away from white carbs; white rice, white bread, regular pasta and anything that can stay on a shelf longer than something in your fridge. Processed, preserved foods are the worst for everyone but especially vegetarians. Eat plenty of brown rice, quinoa, oats and other similar complex carbs. Wheat products are perfectly fine (whole grain) but if you want to lose some weight try cutting out wheat/gluten you would be surprised how much that will help. And buy a PLANT BASED PROTEIN SUPPLEMENT. Something that is a mix of multiple plant proteins like pea, hemp, brown rice, quinoa, etc. It is extremely important that you eat plenty of protein and that it is a mix, not just one type. And are you a strict vegetarian or do you eat fish/dairy/eggs? If you consume dairy, it would be highly beneficial for weight loss to cut it out. The key to losing weight is taking in fewer calories than you burn. With the info you gave me you burn between 2,200 to 2,500 calories a day, this is more on days you ride/exercise and less when you don't. So if you aim to eat less than that then you should lose weight. But doing so will affect your riding performance, not an insane amount but when race training you want to eat plenty more than you burn. So if I were you I would diet and train until the race gets closer, like a week away, and then diet properly for race performance. Let me know if I didn't cover anything that you were looking for!

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 at 3:09 Quote
Thank you so much!! Very keen to get down to my leanest weight, i'll take this advice on board! Any idea how long it will take to lose 20lbs (ish) if i follow this strictly and countinue biking at least 4 times a week?

blkmrktrider156 wrote:
emborthwick wrote:

YOU'RE A VEGETARIAN!?!?!?

jk

The key with properly dieting as a vegetarian is good quality carbs, being that carbs dominate a vegetarians diet. Stay away from white carbs; white rice, white bread, regular pasta and anything that can stay on a shelf longer than something in your fridge. Processed, preserved foods are the worst for everyone but especially vegetarians. Eat plenty of brown rice, quinoa, oats and other similar complex carbs. Wheat products are perfectly fine (whole grain) but if you want to lose some weight try cutting out wheat/gluten you would be surprised how much that will help. And buy a PLANT BASED PROTEIN SUPPLEMENT. Something that is a mix of multiple plant proteins like pea, hemp, brown rice, quinoa, etc. It is extremely important that you eat plenty of protein and that it is a mix, not just one type. And are you a strict vegetarian or do you eat fish/dairy/eggs? If you consume dairy, it would be highly beneficial for weight loss to cut it out. The key to losing weight is taking in fewer calories than you burn. With the info you gave me you burn between 2,200 to 2,500 calories a day, this is more on days you ride/exercise and less when you don't. So if you aim to eat less than that then you should lose weight. But doing so will affect your riding performance, not an insane amount but when race training you want to eat plenty more than you burn. So if I were you I would diet and train until the race gets closer, like a week away, and then diet properly for race performance. Let me know if I didn't cover anything that you were looking for!

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2016 at 15:05 Quote
emborthwick wrote:
Thank you so much!! Very keen to get down to my leanest weight, i'll take this advice on board! Any idea how long it will take to lose 20lbs (ish) if i follow this strictly and countinue biking at least 4 time a week?

Its really hard to say, everybody is different, thats why the personal training market is as big as it it. If your body is used to the type of riding that you do then it will take longer than if you are doing somethibg that "shocks" your body. If you look up at some of my previous comments you'll see the one talking about H.I.I.T. training. If you do this on a stationary bike, or if you have a stationary trainer for your bike, and you do it on days that you dont ride you will train your body to have a greater power output but you will also burn a ton of calories. Best thing about it is that you can knock out a H.I.I.T. workout in less than a half an hour! When I was doing that every morning right when i woke up i was losing 2-5 pounds a week. But like I said, everyone is different so its nearly impossible to predict results especially if I have never met you

FL
Posted: Apr 10, 2016 at 5:34 Quote
emborthwick wrote:

What type a racing are you looking at? If it is cross country mtb your training and intensity should vary throughout the season and become specific to the demands of the races.

Diet will be the main factor in weight loss over biking. Although exercise burns calories, it takes a lot of work and overeating is typically far easier to slip up on. Also note the overcompensating effect of exercise; many people over estimate how much they burn (many fitness trackers also do too) and therefore eat way too many calories to "make up for the huge burn". Also you can not spot reduce fat in a specific area. Your body will lose fat how it chooses.
Based on height and weight your BMI is 22.6, in the normal range. Without a body fat percentage (BF%) and/or lean body mass, how much weight and how fast you'll lose it is hard to figure. Higher BF% typically means rapid weight loss will be easier, whereas it becomes harder to lose at lower BF%. Losing weight on the order of 1 pound per week is usually a good goal as it means a small and manageable calorie deficit and lower chance of losing muscle mass. Also, rapid weight loss can be mistaken for water loss, so hydrate.
As far as what you eat, that is up to you, blkmrktrider156 pointed out some good food options. It is really a matter of eating less so to run a calorie deficit. However eating less processed foods, less added sugar, less added sodium usually help. Protein triggers satiety and reduces likeliness of muscle loss.
That's just a short answer to a complex question.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017404
Mobile Version of Website