Torch A Frozen Pedal

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Torch A Frozen Pedal
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 26, 2016 at 18:52 Quote
Anybody have a good trick for unsticking frozen pedal? My Dad and I can't apply too much force without stripping the crank. If it was steel I'd just heat it with a torch but don't know if that would work with aluminum or not.

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 9:28 Quote
Frozen in the crank? PB blaster or 50/50 acetone/ATF and wait..

You do NOT want to torch the crank.. any loss of heat treat or tensile strength could mean very bad things later

Frozen on the spindle? Remove from crank and toss in trash

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 13:52 Quote
Aaronz25RS wrote:
Frozen in the crank? PB blaster or 50/50 acetone/ATF and wait..

You do NOT want to torch the crank.. any loss of heat treat or tensile strength could mean very bad things later

Frozen on the spindle? Remove from crank and toss in trash
Tried your 50/50 mix it worked on seat post
Al on steel also, bikes Campy 45 yrs old.

Posted: Jul 27, 2016 at 20:29 Quote
Nice!... Maybe pull the body off the pedal and heat the axle then, keep heat in the 45yr old crank to minimum

Posted: Jul 28, 2016 at 0:29 Quote
OK, at the risk of sounding like a jerk: you do know that the Left side (non-drive) is reverse threaded? i.e. Clock-wise to loosen?

...that out of the way, I've always had the best luck with sharp force from a hammer to loosen up stuck threads - even steel on aluminum galvanic corrosion.

I would secure the opposite crank arm. (Hose clamp or similar from the crank to chainstay will work.) Put a wrench on the stuck pedal, a breaker bar on the wrench, and give it a few sharp whacks (In the correct direction!!) with a metal hammer.

Posted: Jul 29, 2016 at 14:30 Quote
Might have to drill it, it has whats called Galling NOS Campy replacement peds $175

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009410
Mobile Version of Website