Enve M90 Death Traps

PB Forum :: Downhill
Enve M90 Death Traps
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 21, 2016 at 20:17 Quote
Enve has classified their wheels as best in class with a starting price of close to 3000$
I highly recommend not purchasing their wheels. They will explode under you like a death trap waiting to happen, luckily I was able to walk away without any injury's.
Rider Info:
Weight: 155lb
Tire Psi: 27- 40Psi Depending on condtions (Enves Recommendations for my weight, 140-160 lbs 23-28 Psi)
Bike: 2014 Devinci Wilson
First Rim Crack
  First Rim Crack
One of the big questions for this weekend is whether the technical tracks here will suit Cecile Ravenls aggressive riding style - could this be the weekend she takes one of the higher steps on the podium
  This straight away after the No Joke rock drop is were the first rim cracked
Second Rim Crack
  Second Rim Crack
it was sick
  The Brutus drop at Cypress Mountain is were the second rim cracked
Third Rim Crack
  Third Rim Crack
Third Rim Crack
  Third Rim Crack
Third Rim Crack
  Third Rim Crack
Third Rim Crack
  Third Rim Crack
photo
  The pre jump on dirt merchant is were i cracked the third rim

They argue that these are the best rims on the market but they really are not. I personally wouldn't feel safe riding these down Crank It Up (Whistler). The professional riders get there rims replaced every race run or every second race run. that's why you never see them explode.
(Enves Website Description of the wheels below)
WHAT IS IT?
The first and only UCI World Cup-winning downhill carbon fiber wheelset

WHO IS IT FOR?
Downhill riders and racers that have a no holds barred approach to their race equipment

WHY DID WE MAKE IT?
To raise the bar on our former world championship winning ENVE DH wheelset and to provide the Santa Cruz Syndicate riders with the latest carbon fiber rim technology on the market. By saving weight, increasing strength and adding the utility of tubeless compatibility, the M90 is the wheelset of choice for today’s most discerning world cup racers and mechanics.

PEOPLE ARE SAYING…
"They will knock your socks off from the moment you drop into that first, aggressive run."

– Vital MTB
"The performance advantages of the M90 are real. The riders claim It allows them to take unique lines and ultimately go faster. For me, the durability is my favorite aspect; we replace only a small fraction of the rims we used to when we rode alloy."

– Doug Hatfield - Syndicate Mechanic

Posted: Aug 23, 2016 at 21:12 Quote
Ouch.

Good to know but $3000 is out of most people's budget for a "wear and tear" part.
You obviously shred pretty hard the Brutus drop isn't exactly small.

How long did they last? If you do 60 whistler days a season NO wheel is going to last seasons , And who built them?

Wheel build plays a huge factor into how long they last.

I'm happy with my 823s

FL
Posted: Aug 23, 2016 at 23:01 Quote
Any wheel would probably fail in the same situations. Although to be fair, Enve does claim these wheels are strong as shit and for $3000, they should be. Just run some DT Swiss FR570 rims. They are at least as strong as M90's, maybe stronger, and when you blow one up, it will cost you less than $100 to buy a new rim and new spokes.

Posted: Aug 24, 2016 at 1:25 Quote
kent wrote:
Ouch.

Good to know but $3000 is out of most people's budget for a "wear and tear" part.

How long did they last? If you do 60 whistler days a season NO wheel is going to last seasons , And who built them?

I'm happy with my 823s
Lasted me maybe a month, riding 1-2 days a week depending on my days off work.
Built by Enve and never had them touched by anyone else as they would crack in a couple rides.

Posted: Aug 26, 2016 at 12:29 Quote
Matt-Levasseur wrote:
kent wrote:
Ouch.

I'm happy with my 823s
Lasted me maybe a month, riding 1-2 days a week depending on my days off work.
Built by Enve and never had them touched by anyone else as they would crack in a couple rides.

Brutal.

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 3:13 Quote
Rahzel wrote:
Пидарас, ты лучше покажи видео как ты угандошил эти обода, а то сам как уебан катаешься и приземлился не правильно и вот и сломал. Просто ты далбаеб, фото это одно, а если бы показал видео как они сломались - то все бы поняли, что ты пиздабол, у ENVE обода хорошие, просто нужно уметь кататься и не быть таким пидарасом как ты.
Из-за таких падонков, и распространяется лже информация.

That's easy for you to say. Wink

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 5:37 Quote
Sorry....but....why are people surprised when carbon wheels fail on any kind of serious thrashing?? For road bikes sure....
Alloy rims are proven, light, cheap and most importantly reliable! Enve is laughing all the way to the bank!

Sorry I'm an old dude and just don't get it.

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 at 11:03 Quote
So what iám wondering now what is ENVE doing for u after showing them the cracked rims ??

Posted: Jan 23, 2018 at 17:52 Quote
Ya they're made in Ogden, UT. That should tell you enough right there let alone trusting carbon fiber. Ogden, UT = garbage try ordering a cheeseburger it takes 20 minutes. Ogden sucks. Everything that comes out of Ogden is low quality.

Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 14:06 Quote
Thread resurrection, surprised not more comments back in 2016, seeing pictures like these make me glad I've stuck to Aluminium and just ordered a pair of DT Swiss EX471's

FL
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 14:18 Quote
Yeah I bought some ENVE M90's to put on my enduro bike and I cracked the rear rim on the 4th ride. Not as bulletproof as I thought they would be!

FL
Posted: Jan 24, 2018 at 18:20 Quote
Cracked mine on a pretty basic compression on a bit of singletrack. Was going pretty fast (30-35mph) on my home trails and went over a pretty standard braking hole and heard a loud bang. Started to slowly lose air pressure as i rode down to the car and then noticed a huge delamination when i put the bike on the rack at the bottom. Went back to stans flows the next day... Best idea for fault on my part is maybe uneven spoke tension because i hadnt checked it in over a month but still would rather have a product that doesnt catastrophically fail in the course of a normal ride. I understand messing up and hitting something sharp but not something i expected on a braking hole, even at the speed i was going.

Side note --> i have nox composite rims now and they have been foolproof for almost 2 years. They were clearly designed by intelligent people and not by enve. They have put up with far more abuse for 1/3rd of the cost. Also you can adjust the spoke tension easily if something happens because they have external spoke nipples. Like i said, they were designed by intelligent people. Not a plug but just included to note that i am still a big believer in carbon rims for a variety of reasons. I just dont believe enve employs people who dont visit the bong shed at every opportunity.

Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 9:34 Quote
again the same question. What does ENVE do with this information?? like do they give u new rims or give a good price on a replacement rim ??

FL
Posted: Jan 25, 2018 at 10:00 Quote
Dickiescbb wrote:
again the same question. What does ENVE do with this information?? like do they give u new rims or give a good price on a replacement rim ??

i didnt even bother messaging them so i cant help in that respect. I was so fed up with them and i knew that the replacement rim policy would still cost me 400-500$ but only after they accepted the fault that i just moved on and threw them away. Friends have tried to go through their warranty process and been out of a bike for months while they dragged things out, EXTREMELY RARELY have i heard stories of people getting rims for free or cheap after a catastrophic failure. It seems like enve blankets general riding as "potential abuse" and wont help you out. My nox rims cost about the same as the replacements would have cost, probably even less, and if anything happens i have a warranty that might get me a free rim with a 150$ no questions asked replacement if its my fault. Plus you know, intelligent design features. i actively try to stop people from buying enve products because of all the bad experiences that myself and other friends have had.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.028259
Mobile Version of Website