Tubeless, Thick Tubes, or Regular Tubes

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Tubeless, Thick Tubes, or Regular Tubes
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 13, 2016 at 18:56 Quote
I live in Southern California, and it's just dry and thorns everywhere. I'm getting my first dirt jumper on Saturday , 2017 Specialized P3 Pro, and I'm wondering if having tubeless on one of these bikes is weird or a must have. So based on experience or personal preference should I get tubeless, thick tubes, or regular tubes.

Thanks

Posted: Oct 14, 2016 at 17:15 Quote
Borgnar wrote:
I live in Southern California, and it's just dry and thorns everywhere. I'm getting my first dirt jumper on Saturday , 2017 Specialized P3 Pro, and I'm wondering if having tubeless on one of these bikes is weird or a must have. So based on experience or personal preference should I get tubeless, thick tubes, or regular tubes.

Thanks

I had a p3 and a pslope and i ran tubeless. I personally like it more, but some people like the weight in the wheels. Personal preference. If you go tubes, your gonna spend alot of money. Tubeless, you get a flat every 6 to 9 months from my experience and i ride pretty hard.

Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 13:59 Quote
Not a fan of tubeless.

Some tires definitely protect against thorns more than other do. Downhill tires are very tough--but are heavier.

Posted: Oct 16, 2016 at 17:43 Quote
I had a P3 and ran tubeless in it and other bikes for quite a while. I recommend tubeless if-

1. You own a compressor (set-ups, tires swaps, etc aren't frequent but you'll use it at least 30 times a year if you actually ride and run your wheels tubeless)
2. You wear a decent amount of gear if you try any serious jumps, because...

Tubeless isn't really a thing in the dj world. I ran it for over a year and I have to say it's way more dangerous to land bare rim first on a landing (after a tubless exposion) than to land with a floppy/soft tire (tubes-slowly deflating) if that makes any sense to you. It might take a while for it to happen to you, but the 0.0001% chance of that ever happening to me is too much of a risk for my old-ass.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009552
Mobile Version of Website