Kashima Scratch

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Kashima Scratch
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 6, 2017 at 11:43 Quote
So i have a pair of Factory 36's and they have a small scratch on the Kashima coating.

Its not rough or raised so don't think it will do any further damage, just wanted to know if anyone has any advice or repair or cover up so it not so noticeable?

I've heard about using nail polish and wet and dry to repair but I've also read about coloured nail varnish that nearly matches the same colour to cover up?

Posted: Jan 9, 2017 at 11:39 Quote
If the scratch isent very deep you should be ok. I had a medium sized scratch on my fork and i havent noticed a difference in performance. I just rebuild fork a little bit sooner than needed because small amounts or dirt can get into the fork

Posted: Jan 10, 2017 at 5:21 Quote
Cheers dude appreciate the response, not massive scratch and not rough so should be fine. Just knowing about the scratch being there that bums me out Confused

jackalranch wrote:
If the scratch isent very deep you should be ok. I had a medium sized scratch on my fork and i havent noticed a difference in performance. I just rebuild fork a little bit sooner than needed because small amounts or dirt can get into the fork

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 at 8:36 Quote
i would be the same.....slight scratch to the kashima would play havoc with me as im kinda ocd about this....is there any car touch up pens that can be mixed to make a close match....thats what i would probably try.

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 at 13:05 Quote
I have filled the scratch with clear nail varnish before, and then polished back smooth.

Never had any problems with leaking seals ect

Posted: Jan 17, 2017 at 6:47 Quote
Yeah ive no real worries about leaking as its very slight and not raised but the fact that i know there are marks on them just doesn't sit right with me... i read that Boots do a very similar to Kashima Coating wondered if anyone had come across a similar color?

rabidmonkfish wrote:
i would be the same.....slight scratch to the kashima would play havoc with me as im kinda ocd about this....is there any car touch up pens that can be mixed to make a close match....thats what i would probably try.

Posted: Jan 18, 2017 at 1:43 Quote
DownHillGiant wrote:
Yeah ive no real worries about leaking as its very slight and not raised but the fact that i know there are marks on them just doesn't sit right with me... i read that Boots do a very similar to Kashima Coating wondered if anyone had come across a similar color?

rabidmonkfish wrote:

wow would love to know about this. I tried many painty markers to match but they couldnt stick. The surface is just to smooth.

Posted: Jan 18, 2017 at 5:25 Quote
i would imagine you would have to mix your own custom kashima shade as kashima itself varies. my 2011 fox 40 (earliest) kashima is very very different from my 2013 kashima 32's and they are different still from my 2016 fox transfer factory dropper post. I would try a mix using copper and black metallic auto touch up paint pens using a copper colour that is lighter than what you want and making it darker with the black. I have not done this myself but it may work. Then get a super fine brush from amazon (cos there cheap - look for hobby miniatures for really fine brushes) and then carefully paint in building up in layers if needed. As i say i cant vouch for this but it makes sense in my head to me anyway Smile

Posted: Jan 18, 2017 at 11:16 Quote
oh the irony of it all.....so i am looking over my bike before i go on a quick lap of my local trail this afternoon and i decide to pay particular attention to my forks after posting in this thread and what do i notice.....thats right a chip in my kashima. I should have known posting in his thread would jinx me lol. I reckon this happened a short while ago when i last had my bike on the bikerack and a stone must have bounced up over the front of my car on the dual carriageway and hit my poor forks. Its a tiny tiny mark that i could fill with any remotely close colour but i may as well see how close a colour match i can mix up as per my earlier posts. check back in a few days and i will post up some before and after pics Smile

Posted: Jan 20, 2017 at 4:26 Quote
You probably did jinx yourself.... yeah let me know how you got on and how you did it as if you use 2 colors to mix a shade it may work for mine also. Cheers for the response also mate

rabidmonkfish wrote:
oh the irony of it all.....so i am looking over my bike before i go on a quick lap of my local trail this afternoon and i decide to pay particular attention to my forks after posting in this thread and what do i notice.....thats right a chip in my kashima. I should have known posting in his thread would jinx me lol. I reckon this happened a short while ago when i last had my bike on the bikerack and a stone must have bounced up over the front of my car on the dual carriageway and hit my poor forks. Its a tiny tiny mark that i could fill with any remotely close colour but i may as well see how close a colour match i can mix up as per my earlier posts. check back in a few days and i will post up some before and after pics Smile

Posted: Jan 22, 2017 at 8:08 Quote
will do unfortunately i will be another couple of days before the paint arrives but i will post something asap.

Posted: Jan 23, 2017 at 10:29 Quote
paints arrived but just waiting for brush....

Posted: Feb 3, 2017 at 10:07 Quote
ok so my brush is taking forever to get here so i thought i would have a go as its such a tiny mark.
Here are the paints i purchased take note of the numbers on the lids when ordering.
photo

photo

now here is the tiny chip in my kashima

photo

i didnt need to mix the black with the gold as it was allready a really good match....i had to apply it with a piece of soft velcro cut to a point as i had no suitable brush (still in post)

just applied

photo

close up

photo

an hour later

photo

now bear in mind mine was a tiny mark but still it may be of help to you guys.

Posted: Feb 5, 2017 at 12:18 Quote
@rabidmonkfish

great post, looks like it worked pretty well, did you have to sand and smooth over after the paint had dried?

Posted: Feb 6, 2017 at 19:08 Quote
nope but then it was such tiny mark thats probably how i got away without needing too.

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017677
Mobile Version of Website