Pinkbike Subaru Fan Club

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Pinkbike Subaru Fan Club
O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 10:49 Quote
Custom TBE with a Vibrant muffler (passes emissions in PA), accessport stage 1, Tanabe springs and some silicone hoses. Nothing too outlandish, but internet horror stories have me slightly concerned.

Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 11:30 Quote
martis wrote:
Custom TBE with a Vibrant muffler (passes emissions in PA), accessport stage 1, Tanabe springs and some silicone hoses. Nothing too outlandish, but internet horror stories have me slightly concerned.

That's easy dude. If you still have your stock exhaust install it. Put your stock tune back using your AP. Get it smogged and registered. Put everything back on. Put your stg 1 tune back on. Done. No stress.

The horror stories are more for people hat build these 400whp beasts and then try to get them legal here in CA. AIn't gonna happen. LOL!

Where in CA you moving to?

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 15:34 Quote
got it. scouring craigslist and junkyards as we speak. thanks!

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 16:01 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
martis wrote:

That's easy dude. If you still have your stock exhaust install it. Put your stock tune back using your AP. Get it smogged and registered. Put everything back on. Put your stg 1 tune back on. Done. No stress.

The horror stories are more for people hat build these 400whp beasts and then try to get them legal here in CA. AIn't gonna happen. LOL!

Right now it's looking like Oceanside. Criteria is: has to be on the beach, has to have a reputable hospital that's hiring, has to be reasonably inexpensive (my place in Pittsburgh is $600 a month... Pittsburgh sucks, but at least it's dirt cheap), has to be within 2-3 hours of Snow Summit for DH/snowboarding, has to be somewhere a bit less crowded than the LA/Orange County area. I know Oceanside has a bit of a reputation, but after spending some time in town, it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as rough as people like to say it is (as long as you're not in the wrong neighborhood). Right now we're looking at making the move within the year.

Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 16:17 Quote
martis wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:
martis wrote:

Right now it's looking like Oceanside. Criteria is: has to be on the beach, has to have a reputable hospital that's hiring, has to be reasonably inexpensive (my place in Pittsburgh is $600 a month... Pittsburgh sucks, but at least it's dirt cheap), has to be within 2-3 hours of Snow Summit for DH/snowboarding, has to be somewhere a bit less crowded than the LA/Orange County area. I know Oceanside has a bit of a reputation, but after spending some time in town, it doesn't seem to be anywhere near as rough as people like to say it is (as long as you're not in the wrong neighborhood). Right now we're looking at making the move within the year.
Buy beach side property near Jackson Hole!
I kid, I kid. But seriously. They have a great hospital, you're near Teton Village, Teton Pass, and Grand Targhee for bikes and boards. Only thing that is shit is: no beach, it is a millionaires playground. Seriously. Met Dax Shepard at Teton Village last summer while biking.

Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 16:27 Quote
Good luck man.

I used to live in SoCal. If you live and work on the coast its fine. If you work on the coast and work inland it BLOWS. If you live inland and work on the coast it BLOWS.

Finding something affordable is pretty gnarly. My grandparents lived in Costa Mesa. Bought their house in the late 70's I think for like $40k. It's worth over $800k now.

The snowboarding down there sucks but you can jam up to Mammoth... unless you're a park rat then it rips. Mountain Biking and dirt biking is reachable pretty quickly and pretty damned dope.

Oceanside is fine. I like the New Port/Costa Mesa area. I lived in Redondo and liked it. Used to wonder all around Manhattan and Hermosa and what not. All nice. Only downfall is you pretty much have to go through or around LA to get snowboarding/dh riding in.

What about something like Morro Bay/Pismo. I freaking love that place. Have family there. It's a 2hr straight shot to Snow Summit. Can do it in less if you leave late at night or super early in the morning.

China Peak is like 3.5 hours away. Mammoth is like 6. Bear Valley is like 5.5. Kirkwood and tahoe is like 6.5 hours.

Cost of living is somewhat reasonable there if you can land a decent medical job.

I'd say Santa Cruz but cost of living is nuts here if you're used to like $600. Talking 3 times that for a 1 bedroom apartment. My wife and I make a decent wage... we'd live pretty fat most places and we struggle big time in santa cruz.

Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 16:28 Quote
looeythedog wrote:
martis wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:

I kid, I kid. But seriously. They have a great hospital, you're near Teton Village, Teton Pass, and Grand Targhee for bikes and boards. Only thing that is shit is: no beach, it is a millionaires playground. Seriously. Met Dax Shepard at Teton Village last summer while biking.

Jackson hole is one of the few places in north america I'd consider leaving santa cruz for.

Jackson hole. Oregon. Morro Bay. That's pretty much it. LOL!

Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 17:22 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
looeythedog wrote:
martis wrote:

Jackson hole is one of the few places in north america I'd consider leaving santa cruz for.

Jackson hole. Oregon. Morro Bay. That's pretty much it. LOL!
I live an hour and half SEish of Jackson. It's a nice place, but would hate to live there. It's so damn busy. The summer is probably the worst season due to Asians, and winter a close second. And I have to admit, Oregon is really nice also. I've only been to Bend for a week in March for XC skiing Nationals for college, but it was rad.
Also, what about the drought/fire/water shortages? Would that be a factor in moving or is it not as big of an issue as I am thinking it is?

Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 18:11 Quote
All of california is having drought/water issues. The lakes around here are depressing as hell. I was at Lake Lopez just above SLO a couple weeks ago and it's down literally 35 plus feet from normal. Probably substantially more.

The place I was swimming at last year was so dry that the water was like a mile out and cars were parked probably a half mile out in the lake bed. Where I swam last year you couldn't touch the ground when you were 100 yards off shore. So that tells you how far it's dropped in 12 months.

Oregon is having issues too but not quite as bad. They had better reserves and don't have as much aggriculture or population consuming water.

So Cal always has issues in the valleys. Always.

It's a pretty big deal. Honestly it's probably bigger than most folks are aware of but I live in the salad bowl of the world. I'm surrounded by it and I hear it all the damn time. I worked in produce marketing for like 7 years.

It'll rebound this year and next. The next 2 years we're going to have so much water that we have the opposite issues. We start having mud slides and fallen trees. Things like that.

Then we'll have a couple normal years and then in about 10 years we'll be right back were we are now because people stop giving a crap when it rains.

Posted: Aug 12, 2015 at 18:22 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
All of california is having drought/water issues. The lakes around here are depressing as hell. I was at Lake Lopez just above SLO a couple weeks ago and it's down literally 35 plus feet from normal. Probably substantially more.

The place I was swimming at last year was so dry that the water was like a mile out and cars were parked probably a half mile out in the lake bed. Where I swam last year you couldn't touch the ground when you were 100 yards off shore. So that tells you how far it's dropped in 12 months.

Oregon is having issues too but not quite as bad. They had better reserves and don't have as much aggriculture or population consuming water.

So Cal always has issues in the valleys. Always.

It's a pretty big deal. Honestly it's probably bigger than most folks are aware of but I live in the salad bowl of the world. I'm surrounded by it and I hear it all the damn time. I worked in produce marketing for like 7 years.

It'll rebound this year and next. The next 2 years we're going to have so much water that we have the opposite issues. We start having mud slides and fallen trees. Things like that.

Then we'll have a couple normal years and then in about 10 years we'll be right back were we are now because people stop giving a crap when it rains.
That sound pretty bad.
See, in Wyoming, we are considered a 'cold desert', so we have snow in winter/gets cold as a witches tit, but we don't get more than x inches of precip a year, many in snow. I think the most rain in a 24 hour period we've gotten is ~2 inches, which is noting compared to a lot of places. But in contrast, 2 winters ago, we were getting 18" of powder a day for 5 days straight. And this summer and last summer, have had 0 fires really in the state. Last ones i remember were about this time of year 2 summers ago, started the night before I headed out the same MTB race I have this weekend. Had three fires start in 5 mile radius of my house. But then again, our free aren't terrible at all in comparison to West Coast fires.

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2015 at 9:35 Quote
Haven't really looked into Morro/Pismo, I'll have to research the area a bit, thanks for the recommendation! My girlfriend and I have lived within two hours of Pittsburgh for our entire lives, and we're both ready for something different. We have some wildly fluctuating weather here; It's rained once in the past month, after it rained every day for all of June and early July. It's cloudy and dreary here more than anywhere but Seattle and Buffalo, and temperatures vary from -15 degrees in the winter to 100+ in the summer. The winters here are awful. There's really nothing enjoyable about it (aside from WRX zero-spins in snowy parking lots). Even if we don't get snow, it's just a depressing place to be for 6-7 months a year. It's well worth paying triple my current rent for consistently agreeable weather, if I'm honest.

Posted: Aug 13, 2015 at 13:48 Quote
I'm right there with you.

I took a $35,000 pay cut to get out of the bay area/sf and back home to santa cruz county. Living here is hard financially but I'm blessed as hell dude. I can wake up a few minutes early. Get a cup of coffee and stop at the beach on my way to work and just chill.

Hell... if I wanted to I could wake up... surf... go get a short mtb ride in... then smash up the hill and snowboard for a couple hours.

Posted: Aug 13, 2015 at 13:57 Quote
Lucky!!
I'm more so use to: oh it's summer. Time to be baked from high altitude/low humidity heat all day.
Or.....
Oh, it's not summer. So there is a 50% chance of snow.

But then again, I love it here. So much snow and dust.
Also fun to go out and take the Subaru on adventures. Which brings me to a question.
Any of you guys use/used King Springs?? Thinking of when my struts need replaced, getting some aftermarket ones with King springs and putting the outback on some 1.25" blocks for more clearance, along with some skid plates, then down the road, some better (think: A/T) tires. Thinking could get another 4-6" of clearance on my outback this way, then add bigger sway bars and tower braces.

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2015 at 18:10 Quote
Pismo area has awesome riding. And you're not far from all the riding we have in the Bakersfield area! Some of the greatest trails I've ridden Have been in the Bakersfield area. Don't let anyone fool you. And it's dirt cheap to live. One of the reasons I live there!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011594
Mobile Version of Website