Official Calgary Riders Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Calgary Riders Thread
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 13:57 Quote
Is there any mountain bike clubs in the Calgary region more for the novice rider?

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 14:10 Quote
Im not sure. Id just notify people that you are newer? And or help out with tips/tricks ?
Im not a beginner by any means but im not an expert. So I would just go at my own level and push it here and there.
But im newish to this site/scene. So other guys may suggest better ideas

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 14:16 Quote
teamgreen142 wrote:
Is there any mountain bike clubs in the Calgary region more for the novice rider?

Maybe try the Calgary Mountain bikers meetup group. Never actually met up with them, but the usual descriptions of the rides make them sound like they are more oriented to novice riders. here and there there are advanced trips but they seem like a good group to meet to find other riders of your level.

or just go ride in nose hill, fish creek, or the eastlands and maybe spark up some conversation with the other riders you meet on the trail. I have never minded having someone tag along with myself or a group if they are looking for new people to ride with. I figure most riding groups are just as welcoming, introducing yourself and sharing a passion can go a long way!

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 17:25 Quote
jory666 wrote:
OK. Perfect. That's what I wanna hear. Now I've never owned an inverted fork. I'm doing as much research as possible but any input/advice from experienced Dorado owners would be appreciated. Thx, guys

In the last year the previous manitou supplier Trident dropped manitou. This making it pretty much impossible to get parts for them. Jonbikes wasn't wrong, it wasn't long ago we could get parts, but at this time its not that simple.

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 18:14 Quote
Hey steeds, nice job on the rack, little bit more work and it will be a pretty sweet little rig. I might suggest some sort of bracing for each of your two angled uprights there, they are going to have a nasty tendency to bend when you start hitting bumps with two bikes on each side.

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 20:02 Quote
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there it is!! Thanks Brandon-d and pinkbike whisperer(if that IS your real name) . I'm having serious doubt's about the Dorado now. I know it's a great fork. I just think its smart to be able to do quality maintenance without having to do back flips!

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 20:02 Quote
K sweet thanks man.
It's all mild steel. 1/8th 1.25 square tube. Haha
It'll take a lot to bend it but I'll def keep it in mind for whe I get It out. (To look for bending)
I'll brace it to the horizontal bar when I weld that on also.

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 20:22 Quote
It might take a lot, but it's thousands of dollars worth of bikes at risk man!

Simply adding a horizontal member as high up on your uprights as possible will stiffen that right up. Static load on it won't be much, but get that thing bouncing up a shuttle road and it is a different story. My bike has fallen victim to a rat rack breaking and dropping 4 bikes on the road, not a fun place to be.

Not trying to bash your work at all, it looks great, just pointing out what jumps out at me.

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 20:27 Quote
haha yeah i know what you mean. def taking in all tips is good. but good thing i know my welds are good...as that is what i do for a living Wink

well after the horizontal bar goes on. I'm sure it'll be strapped and be a bit stable with bikes. but yes it'll be bouncy and i'll rig something up. still in the process of taking metal bit by bit and adding while no one notices.haha

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 20:33 Quote
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand there it is!! Thanks Brandon-d and pinkbike whisperer(if that IS your real name) . I'm having serious doubt's about the Dorado now. I know it's a great fork. I just think its smart to be able to do quality maintenance without having to do back flips!

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 20:34 Quote
Didn't mean to post that twice.....

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 20:42 Quote
Steeds, watch the back window on your topper. One of my buddies from nelson built one like that and it had too much sway when he would hit a rough patch in the road. Shattered the back window. I'm sure you've thought of that. The rack looks great, man. I'm sure the finished product will be stellar.

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 20:56 Quote
haha yeah it's a bit close to the canopy forsure.and def didn't think of it till after the fact..but i'll see what i can do.

oh this is what i done today too while at work...mounted my fork mount and got it all set up.

photo

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 21:26 Quote
That's a nice Specialized, bud. What year?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.225934
Mobile Version of Website