The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Apr 27, 2016 at 16:19 Quote
*in before perv's asking for pics to judge worthiness as a stripper*

Posted: Apr 27, 2016 at 17:28 Quote
AFAIK it's not hard to get menial work under the table for some of the shops in the village. I know someone who did it last season.

O+
Posted: Apr 27, 2016 at 18:51 Quote
[Quote]
Our favorite waitress was an ausssie so there must be a way to get work while you are there.[/Quote]

It's super easy for most places to get visas. Especially commonwealth countries. Australia has one of the easiest routes of entry to a work visa. Americans aren't nearly so lucky.

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2016 at 9:12 Quote
NOVEGREG wrote:
What is the best trail in the park for Rock rollers?

O- Sin, Goats Gully, Captain Safety, Fatcrobat, Upper Joyride, Detroit Rock City

Should have plenty in that route for you.

Posted: Apr 28, 2016 at 17:53 Quote
Just arrived from the U.K for the summer. Anybody willing to show me some valley trails this weekend? Gonna start on blues and work up as il be taking it easy first weekend.

Cheers Mike

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 at 13:52 Quote
Hey Guys,
We plan to stay a week in Whistler this August besides our BC trip. We booked the accommodation before we found out that Crankworx will take place right in that time.
Of course we'd love to see all the Pro guys at Crankworx, but we are also coming to ride.

So, any advises if it is possible to ride in the park? We take on the blue lines mostly, will there be closures?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 at 14:44 Quote
Lateralus87 wrote:
Hey Guys,
We plan to stay a week in Whistler this August besides our BC trip. We booked the accommodation before we found out that Crankworx will take place right in that time.
Of course we'd love to see all the Pro guys at Crankworx, but we are also coming to ride.

So, any advises if it is possible to ride in the park? We take on the blue lines mostly, will there be closures?

Thanks in advance.

Matt

You will be fine, the weekends are the busiest times but you're still able to ride lots. Plus very little lift lines during the events. The blues don't really get closed as far as I know.

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 at 15:18 Quote
I was there last year during crankworks, had short lift lines and most blues were open. Top of the world was closed. But it an awesome time to be the, ride the mountain watch the pros and ride the mountain some more.

Best trip I have ever taken.

Posted: Apr 30, 2016 at 15:52 Quote
Anybody willing to show me some valley trails? Gonna start on blues and work up as il be taking it easy!

Will buy you a beer.

Cheers Mike

Posted: May 1, 2016 at 5:25 Quote
Thanks guys. I actually thought so, but just wanted to make sure.
Quite excited to see all the guys doing there pro stunts.

Cheers

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 11:35 Quote
VolatileMike wrote:
Anybody willing to show me some valley trails? Gonna start on blues and work up as il be taking it easy!

Will buy you a beer.

Cheers Mike

you could try here:
http://www.meetup.com/West-Coast-Mountain-Bike-Meetup/
maybe there is a more specific one for the valley?

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 15:20 Quote
Hi All . I'm a noob here and planning a trip to whistler mid July . Ill be there for a week ,Monday to Friday. I've booked my accommodation and I'm about to book bike hire - A TR500 through Evolution Whistler.
I have looked through this thread as far back as Jan 2015 but still have some Q's.
First is bike gear expensive in Whistler compared to Vancouver? Stuff like helmets , gloves , shoes etc . I have a day in Vancouver before i get to Whistler.
Second any recommendations for training/guides. I really want to improve my jumping confidence , so any companies or guides that would be best for jumping/freeriding techniques? Im thinking of doing the mens night but really want the most out of my 4 days or so of riding.
This will be my first time in a Bike park Big Grin

Cheers
Rod

O+
Posted: May 4, 2016 at 11:55 Quote
Hey guys, a group of us will be taking our first trip out to Whistler in early June. I realise that this is a bit early in the season, and some things like Top of the World will be closed, but based on the weather this year, are there are alpine-type trails that are likely to be in good shape in early June? Anything that just follows a ridgeline down for miles would be high on our list, something like this:

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features/ONE-LAP-Lars-Sternberg-Luke-Strobel-Xanadu,28310/iceman2058,94

Also, Whistler mountain has a pretty good deal on lift+rental+lessons 3 days for the price of 2, but the lessons would be group lessons (and on a weekend, for us). I'm assuming the "instructors" from the mountain are of a lower quality than a smaller company like Zep or Arbutus, but does anyone have any experience with this?

Open to any suggestions, thanks!!

Posted: May 4, 2016 at 12:07 Quote
instructor in whistler are excellent.

O+
Posted: May 4, 2016 at 13:49 Quote
Early June will probably be lower mountain (Fitzsimmons chair only) for the bike park. But don't worry, there's a huge amount of terrain and trails to ride, you will not be bored. Garbanzo usually opens mid-June (scheduled date is June 18, could be a week early who knows). The instructors from the bike park school are awesome.

Dunno about any high alpine/ridge-line stuff like Xanadu, maybe in the Chilcotins but that timing is way too early and it's not a day trip from Whistler. Lillooet or Kamloops as well but those are also 2-4 hours away.

You will have more than enough to ride between the park and valley trails though so it's all good. Enjoy http://www.trailforks.com/region/whistler/

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019982
Mobile Version of Website