You know you work in a bikeshop when...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
You know you work in a bikeshop when...
O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 16:35 Quote
seanondemand wrote:
unrooted wrote:
You know you work in a bikeshop when...you think 10% off is some kind of deal and that you are doing a favor to a customer by "allowing them" to order stuff through your shop. . . for full price. . .paid upfront. . .no returns.
Man, if you got 10% off a bike, you got a pretty damn good deal. The most I can cut the price of a bike down to is like, 5-6%.
And look at the special order thing from the shop's perspective: if the Strait's Puke Brown Straitline pedals you want to order don't look as good in real life as they did online, what's the shop supposed to do with these unsellable pedals? And not wanting to put a deposit down for something that we have to pay freight for? Not really seeing the problem...

At this point, I wish that our retail side never got into the habit of giving deals. I think it's both not fair to us, or our customers; but we've all gotten addicted to them, as either a selling tool or a buying criteria. I almost want to be really honest with people, spelling out percentage margin, because at the end of the day for a healthy relationship, everybody's got to win.

Here Here, seanondemand.

Disclaimer: I've never worked in a bike shop.

However, I've been riding for the better part of 10 years, and between mine and my wife's bikes, I'm in at least one of my 3 local shops every week during riding season. I'm a business analyst by trade, and just knowing the wholesale vs. retail prices (dictated by most manufacturers, btw) with an allotment for overhead and labor is enough to know that local places are cutting it pretty close. Most of the reason that they don't turn into chain stores is that the operating profit is in the low single digits in most cases. The owner/manager of the shop nearest my house even had to reduce his pay to keep his shop open for a few years there.

There's a huge disconnect between a lot of customers and bike shops.

If you're a price-only customer, shop online. It's cheaper, yeah, sure. You could even be a cynic and say that the "dollar democracy" is increasingly choosing online retailers. But buyer beware--those online retailers will NEVER take the place of the bike shop. Their build quality is a C- as best (been there; have a shop build your bike). They will do nothing to help you when you break down on a trip or, more likely, the only day you can ride this week. Their reviews and "chat consultations" will never compare to expertise of a true fanatic on the floor of the shop trying to help you get what you need, or take the place of a test ride or a demo. And good luck finding out about nearby trail conditions, or locals-only sweet spots to try out. You need a local store; not because they're cheaper, but because they are better. They eat, sleep, drink, and breathe bikes, and those are the people you want to do business with. So pay an extra 15% to keep them around. We need them.

If the LBS business model starts to fail, it is my opinion that the customers--not the stores--will be mostly responsible.

That being said, I do think that at least some of the onus is on the customer service abilities of local shops. All shops are not created equal; I get that. And also, anyone who spends more than ten minutes in a shop should be acutely aware that there are some serious dickbags out there who think they know everything and deserve to get all their stuff at a 60% discount. I mean, haven't all of us seen that one person wandering around price checking everything against Amazon/CRC/Jenson? Yeah, that's nobody's favorite guy. Customer service is a b*tch. But, in my experience, which is very limited, the shops that get the most business understand where they add value. In most cases, that's just being cool with the customers (again, I know there are some dicks out there) and worrying about serving them in ways that the online monsters will never be able to.

Maybe a customer posting in a bike shop employee thread is the wrong way to begin this conversation, but at some point there needs to be a reconciliation of motives between shops and customers--from both sides. Customers need to be educated on why local shops are critical (big task) and I think that local shops are in the best, and maybe only, position to lead the effort. However, that doesn't make it less important for local shops to continue to focus intensely on customer service and be heavy hitters in the areas that they add the most value.

Okay you can all proceed to hate on me.

*braces for impact*

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 17:18 Quote
jackstack wrote:
Link?
Required Module:
http://na.s-tec.shimano.com/module/composite/3032

Order:
Click on the Klean canteen thing
http://na.s-tec.shimano.com/contest/special

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 17:51 Quote
zsandstrom wrote:
seanondemand wrote:
unrooted wrote:
You know you work in a bikeshop when...you think 10% off is some kind of deal and that you are doing a favor to a customer by "allowing them" to order stuff through your shop. . . for full price. . .paid upfront. . .no returns.
Man, if you got 10% off a bike, you got a pretty damn good deal. The most I can cut the price of a bike down to is like, 5-6%.
And look at the special order thing from the shop's perspective: if the Strait's Puke Brown Straitline pedals you want to order don't look as good in real life as they did online, what's the shop supposed to do with these unsellable pedals? And not wanting to put a deposit down for something that we have to pay freight for? Not really seeing the problem...

At this point, I wish that our retail side never got into the habit of giving deals. I think it's both not fair to us, or our customers; but we've all gotten addicted to them, as either a selling tool or a buying criteria. I almost want to be really honest with people, spelling out percentage margin, because at the end of the day for a healthy relationship, everybody's got to win.

Here Here, seanondemand.

Disclaimer: I've never worked in a bike shop.

However, I've been riding for the better part of 10 years, and between mine and my wife's bikes, I'm in at least one of my 3 local shops every week during riding season. I'm a business analyst by trade, and just knowing the wholesale vs. retail prices (dictated by most manufacturers, btw) with an allotment for overhead and labor is enough to know that local places are cutting it pretty close. Most of the reason that they don't turn into chain stores is that the operating profit is in the low single digits in most cases. The owner/manager of the shop nearest my house even had to reduce his pay to keep his shop open for a few years there.

There's a huge disconnect between a lot of customers and bike shops.

If you're a price-only customer, shop online. It's cheaper, yeah, sure. You could even be a cynic and say that the "dollar democracy" is increasingly choosing online retailers. But buyer beware--those online retailers will NEVER take the place of the bike shop. Their build quality is a C- as best (been there; have a shop build your bike). They will do nothing to help you when you break down on a trip or, more likely, the only day you can ride this week. Their reviews and "chat consultations" will never compare to expertise of a true fanatic on the floor of the shop trying to help you get what you need, or take the place of a test ride or a demo. And good luck finding out about nearby trail conditions, or locals-only sweet spots to try out. You need a local store; not because they're cheaper, but because they are better. They eat, sleep, drink, and breathe bikes, and those are the people you want to do business with. So pay an extra 15% to keep them around. We need them.

If the LBS business model starts to fail, it is my opinion that the customers--not the stores--will be mostly responsible.

That being said, I do think that at least some of the onus is on the customer service abilities of local shops. All shops are not created equal; I get that. And also, anyone who spends more than ten minutes in a shop should be acutely aware that there are some serious dickbags out there who think they know everything and deserve to get all their stuff at a 60% discount. I mean, haven't all of us seen that one person wandering around price checking everything against Amazon/CRC/Jenson? Yeah, that's nobody's favorite guy. Customer service is a b*tch. But, in my experience, which is very limited, the shops that get the most business understand where they add value. In most cases, that's just being cool with the customers (again, I know there are some dicks out there) and worrying about serving them in ways that the online monsters will never be able to.

Maybe a customer posting in a bike shop employee thread is the wrong way to begin this conversation, but at some point there needs to be a reconciliation of motives between shops and customers--from both sides. Customers need to be educated on why local shops are critical (big task) and I think that local shops are in the best, and maybe only, position to lead the effort. However, that doesn't make it less important for local shops to continue to focus intensely on customer service and be heavy hitters in the areas that they add the most value.

Okay you can all proceed to hate on me.

*braces for impact*
+1

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 18:29 Quote
I find that most of our customers would be surprised to find you can order bikes online. lol they are the bread and butter, buying cheap bikes and kids ones. And coming in for a flat fix.

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 19:14 Quote
I think one thing that will keep brick-and-mortar shops alive is that only bike nerds know about, and can inform themselves well enough to order from online brands. Those volume customers looking for kids bikes, hybrids, and basic mountain bikes, and customers who have graduated from those bread and butter bikes to premium stuff and grown with your shop, will keep it rolling.

As long as you and your shop don't f*** it up.

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 22:00 Quote
Tmonster2301 wrote:
jackstack wrote:
Link?
Required Module:
http://na.s-tec.shimano.com/module/composite/3032

Order:
Click on the Klean canteen thing
http://na.s-tec.shimano.com/contest/special

doneee free stuff is hype 6-8 weeks is redic tho Blank Stare

O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 22:41 Quote
It's the same turnaround for those stupid little plaques too. But whatevs. FREE KLEAN KANTEEN!

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 22:47 Quote
not for my area I wanted a new Klean Kanteen

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 23:22 Quote
im sure ive finished enough modules for a few of those plaques. do you get a notification for them at all or do they just show up/

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2016 at 0:10 Quote
You have to go into the rewards and order the plaques kinda the same way you order that bottle. I've only got one so far cause I'm not very motivated to do them on my own time, and at work I'm too busy.

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 at 7:49 Quote
Gotta rock 100% and get that platinum lyfe!

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 at 10:30 Quote
Does your percentage complete reset every year?

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 at 12:01 Quote
Anyone know anything about finding dealer pricing or EP for santa cruz, I was talking with the assistant manager and he wasnt sure if there was anything. There isnt anything like Spesh IBD was what i think he said.
Gotta make dem future build spreadsheets Razz

Im assuming you can just call them but was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

Posted: Jun 14, 2016 at 12:54 Quote
Tmonster2301 wrote:
Anyone know anything about finding dealer pricing or EP for santa cruz, I was talking with the assistant manager and he wasnt sure if there was anything. There isnt anything like Spesh IBD was what i think he said.
Gotta make dem future build spreadsheets Razz

Im assuming you can just call them but was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

Re: S-tec - No, it doesn't. But more modules come out and you have to stay on top of them and complete a certain amount every year.

Re: SC EP - Not the greatest. You're looking at 5% off cost. Being in the United American States you're a little better off than us Canadian folk who have to pay 30% on top of the USD cost, plus brokerage and tax. Its obviously cheaper than retail, but sucks when you compare to other companies out there.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020745
Mobile Version of Website