Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
Posted: Apr 21, 2014 at 10:05 Quote
Eww, fox...

Given the competition's offerings at this point you'd have to pay me a lot before i would ride anything fox make.

Monarch+ or CCDB CS

Posted: Apr 21, 2014 at 11:31 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Eww, fox...

Given the competition's offerings at this point you'd have to pay me a lot before i would ride anything fox make.

Monarch+ or CCDB CS

It's a good thing that's just your opinion.

Posted: Apr 21, 2014 at 11:38 Quote
z-man wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Eww, fox...

Monarch+ or CCDB CS

It's a good thing that's just your opinion.
meh, i get paid to make the stuff...

I think it says quite a bit that i dont want to run it.

Posted: Apr 21, 2014 at 11:55 Quote
And i get paid to service suspension.

Also says a lot about preference what people want from a shock.

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 1:05 Quote
hi all i ride a 2014 giant glory and just wondering what spring rate and air pressure other people are using in there rear shock ,, im 81 kgs with armour on and have a 400 x2.75 spring with 130 psi air pressure , thinking of changing to 450 spring ,,,, or should i just pump a bit more air into the shock bike seems like its bottoming out alot over rocky sections ,,,,,,i done the spring calculator and it recomended a 420 spring

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 2:15 Quote
richie223 wrote:
hi all i ride a 2014 giant glory and just wondering what spring rate and air pressure other people are using in there rear shock ,, im 81 kgs with armour on and have a 400 x2.75 spring with 130 psi air pressure , thinking of changing to 450 spring ,,,, or should i just pump a bit more air into the shock bike seems like its bottoming out alot over rocky sections ,,,,,,i done the spring calculator and it recomended a 420 spring

What shock are you using?
air chamber volume tends to be more a support and increases the progressiveness through the mid to end travel.

The spring is the item that holds you up and springs the bike and riders.

If it is a Rc4 I can give you a full run down on how to tune it. Having one myself and speaking to one of the best fox tuners around I have the information at my disposal.

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 2:51 Quote
slidways wrote:
richie223 wrote:

air chamber volume tends to be more a support and increases the progressiveness through the mid to end travel.

If it is a Rc4 I can give you a full run down on how to tune it. Having one myself and speaking to one of the best fox tuners around I have the information at my disposal.

Hi Mate

Its a fox dhx rc2

The main reason i ask is that ive noticed a bit of play in the top mount bush of the shock , and thinking it because im bottoming out alot ??

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 3:35 Quote
richie223 wrote:
slidways wrote:
richie223 wrote:

Hi Mate

Its a fox dhx rc2

The main reason i ask is that ive noticed a bit of play in the top mount bush of the shock , and thinking it because im bottoming out alot ??

whats the sag and the ride feel like?
As for the play have you taken it apart and replaced the bearing?
You would know if you were bottoming out excessively and too often.

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 3:44 Quote
it does feel very soft at the back at times , i noticed a small bit of play in the top mount when lifting the saddle , so i took bolt out and put it through the bushmount and bolt was moving around a bit

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 5:30 Quote
richie223 wrote:
it does feel very soft at the back at times , i noticed a small bit of play in the top mount when lifting the saddle , so i took bolt out and put it through the bushmount and bolt was moving around a bit

Do you have a sag measurement if not get one.
Check your mount and linkage bearings for play and check them if they need replacing replace them.

Your sag will be your major spring rate measurement.

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 5:51 Quote
slidways wrote:
richie223 wrote:

Do you have a sag measurement if not get one.
Check your mount and linkage bearings for play and check them if they need replacing replace them.

Your sag will be your major spring rate measurement.

I got talking to a fox suppliers he told me its more than likely the du bushing thats worn , apparently the wear quicker on glories , but deff must check my sag setting ,, cheers

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 6:28 Quote
If he has a 2014 glory i doubt there is anything wrong with the bearings already. Get a stiffer spring. I run a 500lb one, ride a glory and im about the same weight as you

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 7:29 Quote
richie223 wrote:
slidways wrote:
richie223 wrote:

Hi Mate

Its a fox dhx rc2

your upper shock mount DU is worn out. The glory eats upper shock bushings because the pivot undergoes a high angle of rotation.

Edit: a 500lb coil would be way too heavy. I'm 170lbs + gear and i'm running a 450 and it's perfect.

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 7:42 Quote
Nobble wrote:
richie223 wrote:
slidways wrote:

Hi Mate

Its a fox dhx rc2

your upper shock mount DU is worn out. The glory eats upper shock bushings because the pivot undergoes a high angle of rotation.

Edit: a 500lb coil would be way too heavy. I'm 170lbs + gear and i'm running a 450 and it's perfect.

Thanks for the info , ive ordered a new heavy duty bush and upgrading the spring to 450 , i still cant believe it has worn out so fast only 3 and half months of riding ,

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 7:46 Quote
I believe it, i'd suggest upgrading to a needle bearing, they dont wear out as easily and they decrease friction but they're a lot more expensive.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013488
Mobile Version of Website