What brakes are people running?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What brakes are people running?
Posted: Dec 14, 2014 at 14:51 Quote
If you're going for hope, I'd get the Race lever. Bite point can be set while bleeding, and you can still adjust your reach.

Posted: Dec 14, 2014 at 15:37 Quote
For brake pads try superstar kevlars. They do them to fit most brakes, and so far by far the best pads ive ever used, plus they come with a 45 day trial period where if you don't like them you can send em back, they're 25 quid for 4 pairs so damn cheap

Posted: Dec 15, 2014 at 11:52 Quote
I thought about the kevlar pads but heard they disappear in wet conditions, ive used sintered and had problems with them so i went to ceramics and loved them, they bed in ridiculously fast have a great bite and dont transfer heat like sintered so i just stick with what i know but i may give the kevlar a shot next season.

Posted: Dec 15, 2014 at 11:56 Quote
mr-bishi wrote:
I thought about the kevlar pads but heard they disappear in wet conditions, ive used sintered and had problems with them so i went to ceramics and loved them, they bed in ridiculously fast have a great bite and dont transfer heat like sintered so i just stick with what i know but i may give the kevlar a shot next season.

Those red pads are just organic pads from what I could see. Happy to be wrong though.

Posted: Dec 15, 2014 at 12:01 Quote
Its kinda same thing as coolant and antifreeze. Same thing different name. When i bought mine they were labeled ceramic on the packet. Its the red pads.

Posted: Dec 15, 2014 at 12:23 Quote
http://www.drivenandridden.com/cgi-bin/ss000111.pl?SECTIONID=index.html&NOLOGIN=1

This is a link to the site i got mine. Maybe classed as organic because its not metal. I know on their site both red and green are oranic but maybe there ceramic in an organic compound not sure but what i do know is they work awesome.

Posted: Dec 15, 2014 at 12:24 Quote
mr-bishi wrote:

Nope. I ran a set for an entire year in my hope m4s, which included some snowy rides at gisburn and lee quarry, plus 100s of miles commuting in all weathers, lasted pretty well. Its where the 45 day trial comes in, get some just before you know your gonna get loads of riding in and see how they doz

Posted: Dec 15, 2014 at 12:31 Quote
Cool, thanks pal. Its was just rumors i had heard but never knew anyone who actually had some. For what they cost i think il just get some and give them a go.

Posted: Dec 15, 2014 at 12:37 Quote
Yeah ive nothing but good experience with them, best pads ive used regardless of price.

Posted: Dec 15, 2014 at 19:22 Quote
the brake authority ones my LBS forced me into buying ended up being bloody good

having the employees and owner disagree over the pricing was a class act though...

Posted: Dec 21, 2014 at 14:52 Quote
I Bent my rear rotor pretty bad the other day so I decided to pick one up at the shop. I picked up a shimano SM-RT56 180mm rotor. There is txt laser etched on the side of the rotor saying "resin pads only ". I assume this means I cannot use it with my current metallic sintered pads ? Anyone know if it's a different grade of steel or something ? I running shimano Zee

Posted: Dec 21, 2014 at 15:26 Quote
as I understand resin pads are slightly softer and will not wear the rotor down, metallic sintered ones will chew through it in no time.

it would be something to do with the grade or heat treatment process, but yeah, metallic pads are a no-no.

Posted: Dec 21, 2014 at 15:31 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
as I understand resin pads are slightly softer and will not wear the rotor down, metallic sintered ones will chew through it in no time.

it would be something to do with the grade or heat treatment process, but yeah, metallic pads are a no-no.

Yep he got it right. It's a softer metal.

Posted: Dec 21, 2014 at 16:37 Quote
Balls - I guess I will return it and get the proper one. Thanks guys

Posted: Dec 25, 2014 at 6:52 Quote
Zee's on my NS Soda slope. After having elixir 1's and 10-year old hope 6pots', the Zee's are the gift that just keep on giving

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011617
Mobile Version of Website