San Luis Obispo Riders

PB Forum :: USA - West
San Luis Obispo Riders
Posted: Jan 4, 2012 at 17:10 Quote
If anyone is in the market for a new Transition...Foothill Cyclery in Slo is the place to go! Our new Central Coast Transition dealer!
Ancient Peaks Classic 2012 BE THERE!!

Posted: Jan 4, 2012 at 20:10 Quote
Oh ya speaking of mark your calendar dates are up www.ancientpeaksclassic.com

Posted: Jan 6, 2012 at 21:50 Quote
Started a group on facebook. WAY easier to stay in touch there, you can join here i think.....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Central-Coast-Downhill/278454025545436

join and dont forget to add local riders!

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2012 at 17:23 Quote
Fearless1 wrote:
Started a group on facebook. WAY easier to stay in touch there, you can join here i think.....

Good idea, I'd love to get some shuttling in!

I just picked up a new to me downhill bike yesterday and the Maxxis High Rollers are toast, I swapped some old 2.3 Specialized Chunders on there for now, but I want to replace them. What tires are you guys liking for SLO downhill? I was thinking High Roller II or Minions

Posted: Jan 7, 2012 at 18:18 Quote
dinosaurinachinastore wrote:
Fearless1 wrote:

I just picked up a new to me downhill bike yesterday and the Maxxis High Rollers are toast, I swapped some old 2.3 Specialized Chunders on there for now, but I want to replace them. What tires are you guys liking for SLO downhill? I was thinking High Roller II or Minions

I run a minon dhf in front and a hgh roller 2 in back or u can run 2 dhfs but run 3c dual ply if ur on a dh id recomend 2.5 too

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2012 at 18:47 Quote
JordanSmith127 wrote:
Fearless1 wrote:

I run a minon dhf in front and a hgh roller 2 in back or u can run 2 dhfs but run 3c dual ply if ur on a dh id recomend 2.5 too

Nate and I saw you headed up the grade with a bunch of bikes. Hand feeling better I'm guessing?

Posted: Jan 7, 2012 at 19:13 Quote
JMslo wrote:
JordanSmith127 wrote:

Nate and I saw you headed up the grade with a bunch of bikes. Hand feeling better I'm guessing?

haha yeah been good for a few weeks almost back to how i was riding before haha did you guys ride?

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2012 at 10:06 Quote
JordanSmith127 wrote:

Was planning on 2.5s for sure. I can't seem to find much info on the 3C, what are the advantages? more grip? longer lasting? Ever tried single ply EXOs, I take from your comment it's probably not worth the hassle to save the weight between single and dual ply?

Posted: Jan 8, 2012 at 14:33 Quote
San luis riding involves not saving weight. But keeping everything stout and strong. Lots of people do ride tubless here though. 3c mix component md tire sticky enough to have good grip in the loose but tough enough to not be eaten up by the rocks.

Posted: Jan 8, 2012 at 14:37 Quote
How many people on this thread ride park/street?

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2012 at 14:55 Quote
JordanSmith127 wrote:

Was planning on 2.5s for sure. I can't seem to find much info on the 3C, what are the advantages? more grip? longer lasting? Ever tried single ply EXOs, I take from your comment it's probably not worth the hassle to save the weight between single and dual ply?

I run a Minion 2.5 single ply EXO tubeless on the front and its held up pretty well. I don't know how it would do on the rear though, I run a dual ply Ardent. I did blow the Minion off the rim once, but no gashes or punctures large enough to flatten the tire. You should be ok if you are relatively light and a smooth rider, otherwise just get dual ply.

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2012 at 22:18 Quote
[Quote="JordanSmith127"]

[Quote="JMslo"]

I run a Minion 2.5 single ply EXO tubeless on the front and its held up pretty well. I don't know how it would do on the rear though, I run a dual ply Ardent. I did blow the Minion off the rim once, but no gashes or punctures large enough to flatten the tire. You should be ok if you are relatively light and a smooth rider, otherwise just get dual ply.

[Quote="Fearless1"]

San luis riding involves not saving weight. But keeping everything stout and strong. Lots of people do ride tubless here though. 3c mix component md tire sticky enough to have good grip in the loose but tough enough to not be eaten up by the rocks.

I ride tubeless S-Works Ground Controls on my trail bike around here no problem, they are single-ply they only weigh 580g for a 2.3 which is light. After your guys comments though, I don't think I'll be able to get away with single plys on the downhill bike. I weigh 200+ lbs with riding gear on and wouldn't describe myself as smooth rider just yet. I'm went 2.5 Minion 3C in the front and 2.4 High Roller II 3c in the rear, just ordered them from Art's should be riding on them next weekend! Thanks for the help guys!

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2012 at 22:58 Quote
Any of you taken riding lessons with Richard Lancaster over at All Mountain Riding School?
I could stand for some professional instruction and the fact that he's close seems good enough for me.

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 at 17:34 Quote
krisrayner wrote:
Any of you taken riding lessons with Richard Lancaster over at All Mountain Riding School?
I could stand for some professional instruction and the fact that he's close seems good enough for me.

Personally, i really dont think you need "professional instruction." Sure it might improve your handling and control but im sure youtube videos and some pm's will help you accomplish the same thing. Getting out and riding is probably the best thing you can do. just let it come naturally to you. unless you've never ridden a bike before...
And im not saying this guy is a bad instructor or his methods are bad i just think that its unnecessary.

Posted: Jan 17, 2012 at 19:43 Quote
A quick google search of richard lancaster and youtube video's will show hes been around alng time. Hes very knowledgeable and very good at bikes and moto. I say try one lesson and see where it goes. I've ridden with him a dozen time's n the last year and everytime i learned something whether it was watching or getting little input. Hes a veteran and still fast ever.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016668
Mobile Version of Website