HELP! headaches

• Previous Page
Posted: May 5, 2010 at 11:01 Quote
this is a problem im getting, i ride bmx and lately i hav ebeen getting headaches, but i only get them when i move my neck or jolt it, i have noticed when i land tricks i seem to slam down my head, but its hard not to when jumping stairs and stuff. its an ongoing problem im not sure if anybody else gets this? if so any physio i c an do at home, or should i go fro scans? thanks

Posted: May 5, 2010 at 11:06 Quote
go to a chiropractor

Posted: May 5, 2010 at 13:28 Quote
When I was 15 I had this happen. I thought it was odd.

I was constantly dehydrated for the amount of time I spent outside riding and in the sun.

Think about it- how often are you drinking water before, during, and after riding?
I was street riding and never drinking water. Some sort of carbonated beverage, coffee, juice, whatever... they are just liquids. some of which are diuretics (means it sucks water out of you) and they will dehydrate you.

What happens when you get dehydrated, is the lining around your brain shrinks.
This will present itself as a headache that occurs when you shake your head in some way.

I'm dead serious here. Literally, take a day or two off and force yourself onto some sort of scheduled water drinking. Then go riding. It'll feel better. Keep up the water intake.

If that doesnt help after a week of keeping up on substantial drinking.. hit the doctor.

Posted: May 6, 2010 at 10:31 Quote
thanks for the advice, ive been resting for a week now, but havent tried drinking loads of fluids, ill give it a go!

Posted: May 7, 2010 at 10:41 Quote
Yeah it'll do the trick. It started to happen to me again this summer.. I just got lazy and hadn't kept up with the intake of water.

Posted: May 7, 2010 at 10:53 Quote
Not a chiropractor, a physio. You're probably getting a repetitive strain injury and strengthening your posterior neck muscles will help. A chiropractor might actually make it worse.
Hydration helps too Wink

Posted: May 7, 2010 at 19:16 Quote
corvuscorax wrote:
Not a chiropractor, a physio. You're probably getting a repetitive strain injury and strengthening your posterior neck muscles will help. A chiropractor might actually make it worse.
Hydration helps too Wink

Wow you have no clue about what the scientific literature says on this issue. Please tell me, how will Chiropractic make it worse??

O+
Posted: May 7, 2010 at 19:22 Quote
Yeah i get this all the time- its dehydration. Its like 110 degrees in the summer down here. Drink water. It probably is muscular strain too, so water and rest combined will make you feel better

Posted: May 7, 2010 at 19:27 Quote
Sometimes I get something like this. My vision gets kind of weird and then I get a headache. Usually food helps, but I never knew it was dehydration too.

Posted: May 7, 2010 at 20:31 Quote
krm33 wrote:
Sometimes I get something like this. My vision gets kind of weird and then I get a headache. Usually food helps, but I never knew it was dehydration too.

you should get checked for diabetes
it may just be the heat but it wouldn't hurt to check

Posted: May 7, 2010 at 20:46 Quote
draco wrote:
When I was 15 I had this happen. I thought it was odd.

I was constantly dehydrated for the amount of time I spent outside riding and in the sun.

Think about it- how often are you drinking water before, during, and after riding?
I was street riding and never drinking water. Some sort of carbonated beverage, coffee, juice, whatever... they are just liquids. some of which are diuretics (means it sucks water out of you) and they will dehydrate you.

What happens when you get dehydrated, is the lining around your brain shrinks.
This will present itself as a headache that occurs when you shake your head in some way.

I'm dead serious here. Literally, take a day or two off and force yourself onto some sort of scheduled water drinking. Then go riding. It'll feel better. Keep up the water intake.

If that doesnt help after a week of keeping up on substantial drinking.. hit the doctor.

+1 to this. Red Bull and Monster is good stuff, no doubt, but it actually dehydrates you. water is what'll really keep ya going.

Posted: May 7, 2010 at 21:35 Quote
Nshore3 wrote:
corvuscorax wrote:
Hydration helps too Wink

Wow you have no clue about what the scientific literature says on this issue. Please tell me, how will Chiropractic make it worse??

I'm sorry to offend, that wasn't my intention. As a physician, it is my professional opinion (based on available literature that I've seen) high-velocity, low amplitude manipulations such as that which a chiropractor might perform, can further the injury of a repetitive strain to cervical musclulature and ligaments. Taking muscles and connective tissue to end-range of motion passively/manually is not without consequence. However, I'm certainly open to other opinions (especially if backed by evidence based practice), so if you have some literature to support this, please send it my way.

That said, in this case I'm not certain that it is even injury-related, and could very well be (as others have mentioned) other factors such as dehydration, hypoglycemia etc.

Posted: May 8, 2010 at 5:48 Quote
corvuscorax wrote:
Nshore3 wrote:
corvuscorax wrote:
Hydration helps too Wink

I'm sorry to offend, that wasn't my intention. As a physician, it is my professional opinion (based on available literature that I've seen) high-velocity, low amplitude manipulations such as that which a chiropractor might perform, can further the injury of a repetitive strain to cervical musclulature and ligaments. Taking muscles and connective tissue to end-range of motion passively/manually is not without consequence. However, I'm certainly open to other opinions (especially if backed by evidence based practice), so if you have some literature to support this, please send it my way.

That said, in this case I'm not certain that it is even injury-related, and could very well be (as others have mentioned) other factors such as dehydration, hypoglycemia etc.

Instead of sharing my opinion I'd rather steer you in the direction of the findings of the Neck Pain task force. WHO organized a group of like 16 scientists from all disciplines called the Neck Pain task force which took on the task of reviewing everything in the literature about neck pain, its management, and the safety of such interventions (everything from manual therapies to NSAIDS). They then determined which types of neck pain benefit from which interventions.
The Feb 2008 issue of Spine is completely dedicated to the findings of the studies of the task force. According to what Ive been taught this is the most comprehensive study on neck pain ever done. It also dispels the stroke myth too. Likely a great tool to aid your practice.

Posted: May 8, 2010 at 6:09 Quote
Nshore3 wrote:
corvuscorax wrote:
Nshore3 wrote:

Instead of sharing my opinion I'd rather steer you in the direction of the findings of the Neck Pain task force. WHO organized a group of like 16 scientists from all disciplines called the Neck Pain task force which took on the task of reviewing everything in the literature about neck pain, its management, and the safety of such interventions (everything from manual therapies to NSAIDS). They then determined which types of neck pain benefit from which interventions.
The Feb 2008 issue of Spine is completely dedicated to the findings of the studies of the task force. According to what Ive been taught this is the most comprehensive study on neck pain ever done. It also dispels the stroke myth too. Likely a great tool to aid your practice.

Ohh and side note, Chiros do more than HVLA adjustments.

Posted: May 10, 2010 at 7:44 Quote
Wow, and yet, my totally unprofessional opinion of dehydration is -still- probably the most accurate.

It's extremely common that younger riders don't think to hydrate.

its also nanny-state where everyone assumes the worst right off the bat. Diabetes, hypoglycemia, damaged internal bone structure.. geez guys. Don't forget the basics.

(On that note I am pleased to see there are resources here for more in-depth issues. cheers on that.)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012541
Mobile Version of Website