Worth Upgrading?

• Previous Page
Posted: Nov 25, 2010 at 21:37 Quote
I just bought a Trek 6000.
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain_hardtail/6_series/6000/

Do you think it's a bike worth upgrading, or should I wait a couple years for a new one?

Posted: Nov 25, 2010 at 22:33 Quote
Not a bad platform to start out with. I wouldnt get too crazy with up grades. You can do the basics like a set of tires of your choice. I would ride the x5 rear mech for a minute then upgrade to an x7. Thats about it.

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 at 10:47 Quote
MarkASX wrote:
Not a bad platform to start out with. I wouldnt get too crazy with up grades. You can do the basics like a set of tires of your choice. I would ride the x5 rear mech for a minute then upgrade to an x7. Thats about it.

Ya thanks that was what I was thinking. Its something to do minor upgrades but nothing major like forks.

Posted: Nov 26, 2010 at 10:51 Quote
Tires that fit your needs
A saddle if you don't like the stock one - most of the time shops can switch this out while it's new and give you credit
X7 rear derailleur and shifters will make things feel more crisp
Think about a bash guard if you end up smacking your big chainring a lot and don't really use it much

Posted: Dec 2, 2010 at 17:11 Quote
Just a thought. Leave the rear derailleur and simply upgrade the shifter to x9 or x0. The rear will eventually die then you can upgrade. You feel the shifters - you might never know the difference in derailleurs. Lock on grips make a world of difference if you've not already got them. Same goes for using the appropriate tires.

Posted: Dec 3, 2010 at 14:57 Quote
I change my tubes and tires on mine and it made a big differance.I thought the bike had a slugish feel to it .I went with maxxis light weight tubes and a pair of small blocks.The seat was killing me so I put on a specialzed rival 143.[great seat] The bike now moves pretty good.Smile

Posted: Dec 3, 2010 at 15:01 Quote
Rememeber you can always swap parts onto your new frame?

So you can upgrade the spec till it's really good. Then as a final upgrade; upgrade the frame Smile

Posted: Dec 3, 2010 at 16:08 Quote
Do your contact points first saddle, pedals, grips, tyres, bar and stem if any of them don't suit you,
Once all these suit you and you feel confident and comfortable you can start thinking about changing shifters etc.

By the way is there anything wrong with the way the bike rides/feels now?

Posted: Dec 3, 2010 at 16:24 Quote
celticdavey wrote:
Do your contact points first saddle, pedals, grips, tyres, bar and stem if any of them don't suit you,
Once all these suit you and you feel confident and comfortable you can start thinking about changing shifters etc.

By the way is there anything wrong with the way the bike rides/feels now?

It feels nice, I'm kind of a newbie so I don't REALLY know what a perfect feel is though. But I hate the brakes I might swap those out. Juicy 3's and they are breaking non stop.

Posted: Dec 3, 2010 at 16:40 Quote
What's wrong with the brakes? your looking at 300ish starting price for anything worth upgrading from the juicys.

Best thing to do is try your mates bikes to see if your set up suits you.

Posted: Dec 3, 2010 at 16:45 Quote
You can get Avid Elixir R's for a little over $100. Not the best in terms of modulation, weight, or adjust-ability but they're a big upgrade from Juicy 3s

Posted: Dec 3, 2010 at 16:45 Quote
Where do you think I could get them for that price?

mcmbike wrote:
You can get Avid Elixir R's for a little over $100. Not the best in terms of modulation, weight, or adjust-ability but they're a big upgrade from Juicy 3s

Posted: Dec 3, 2010 at 16:46 Quote
Anywhere really, your LBS or pretty much any online store that sells bike parts.

Posted: Dec 3, 2010 at 16:47 Quote
Thats for one, right? Because I think I'd just want to replace the front.

mcmbike wrote:
Anywhere really, your LBS or pretty much any online store that sells bike parts.

Posted: Dec 3, 2010 at 16:52 Quote
mcmbike wrote:
big upgrade from Juicy 3s

Not in my opinion but its your money.

If you don't like juicys I'd say move away from Avids loads of other brands Hope, Hayes, Formula, Magura etc.

Is there a problem with the juicys or do you just not like them?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018661
Mobile Version of Website