Powered by Outside

Are ajustable seat posts worth getting?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Are ajustable seat posts worth getting?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 at 10:51 Quote
hi guys, im thinking about putting an ajustable seat post on my bike but im not sure whether its worth buying because i have been told that they take a lot of servaicing and looking after? i will be riding in xc

Posted: Feb 14, 2011 at 15:24 Quote
Personally I would only mount one if im racing enduro's or if my local trails have a lot of short climbs.

Normally I'm not in that much of a hurry to stop and drop the seatpost, but the riding I do is usually a 45 to 1,5 h climb, followed by one long descent.

It is another moving part to take care of, and it adds some weight to the bike, but in varied terrain, it really is a big help...

Mod
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 at 16:49 Quote
yes, I love mine. it makes the whole ride more fun, and keeps the flow going...

Posted: Feb 14, 2011 at 17:24 Quote
gonna try one this year i think

Posted: Feb 14, 2011 at 17:35 Quote
I'm still of the persuasion that if a DH is that hairy and long you can simply get off your bike, lower your post and at the bottom re set it to the sweet spot and save $300. Or spend the money and save 100 grams on a Thompson Masterpiece.

If you ride lots of short gnarly steeps and are sick of constantly changing it up, it could be money well spent, but yes they seem to break often and require additional maintenance.

Mod
Posted: Feb 14, 2011 at 21:33 Quote
granted, I have a thomson and a spesh command post that I switch sometimes. it depends on the type of ride and where I am...

Posted: Feb 15, 2011 at 1:30 Quote
thanks for the info guysSmile

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 at 15:29 Quote
I have a 2007 Spec. Stupmpjumper and want to add a drop post. Any pointers for how to route the control cable as my frame does not have any cable routing for it?

Posted: Jul 18, 2011 at 15:32 Quote
You're gonna have to zip-tie it. And a helpful thing would be to buy a new Specialized seat collar...they have a hole in them to route the cable through, making it really clean.

Posted: Jul 18, 2011 at 21:33 Quote
I've been considering the Rock Shox Reverb for next year and I'm in the same boat. I've been reading that its added weight is cancelled out by the convenience of not having to constantly readjust the height by getting off the bike and having the flow that someone else has mentioned. I guess it depends on where you ride and whether you can justify it or not. I love my Thomson Elite post but where I live there is frequent climbing then it turns into descents rapidly so as good as my post is I still might try it next year. I heard a rumor while researching the Reverb that Fox might come out with an adjustable post. Float post to match the Float fork would be sweet Wink It would be some dollars though I'm sure....

Mod
Posted: Jul 18, 2011 at 22:22 Quote
The Fox DOSS, Drop on steep shit post isn't in production for this year. The Command post is great, mine has been problem fre for 2 years. The gravity dropper-the original adjustable post is from Polson MT, as is the worlds smallest NMR(if you don't know what this is, goodle it.) The Reverb would bug me, without having a set aggressive position. I find that most times I don't drop the post all the way, I just drop it partway to the middle setting, and descend there... All the way down reduces pedaling efficiency too much for my liking-most of the time.

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 14:03 Quote
By eck lad Its well worth It, even more so with a remote fitted.

I have used my Joplin on my Anthem X for some time & wouldn't be with out It.
Not so long ago I did a ride with only a few descents so I had my weight weenie head on & put my standard post In. Never noticed the saved weight & missed the Joplin for the descents, even though there weren't many.

I also find that fitting a neoprene chainstay cover around the post stanchion helped reduce the servicing as It keeps the muck/dust away from the seals.

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 15:02 Quote
People who don't have them are the only ones to say that it's no problem to stop and drop your post. People that have them usually say they will never ride without one again. I use mine like gears and adjust it continually throughout the ride. Best thing I've bought for my bike in years.

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 22:38 Quote
Considering that I'm constantly wishing I could raise or lower my seat post without getting off my bike kinda leads to a foregone conclusion that I should have one of these seatposts.

However, I too have heard of price/weight/reliability issues. I don't know if they're true but either way I'm not forking over the cash this season. This product is in my future as sure as I'm typing a post on pinkbike right now.

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2011 at 9:54 Quote
If I really needed such a thing, I'd simply stick to a hite-rite as they never break, require no maintenance, and are far cheaper. Of course sitting on a stockpile of 20 NOS ones still in the packages, and having one on one of my bikes already, I'm somewhat biased.

For those who don't know what a hite-rite is...

http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products/seatposts/ahiter.html

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.076716
Mobile Version of Website