Powered by Outside

Brakes!

PB Forum :: Downhill
Brakes!
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2011 at 13:49 Quote
I have a set of avid elixir cr's and I find them to squishy for Dh. They have been bled, but I don't like the feel of them. Anybody have any suggestions for other brakes, I prefer them on or off no modulation really.

Cheers

Posted: Jul 6, 2011 at 14:19 Quote
Formula TheOne (the new ones, 2010 or later)

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2011 at 15:16 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
Formula TheOne (the new ones, 2010 or later)

Been thinking about those, very expensive though!

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2011 at 21:07 Quote
I have the Shimano M810 Saints. I put them on right before I went to Diablo and I love them, they are very powerful!

-Brett

Posted: Jul 7, 2011 at 21:14 Quote
All I have to say is Saint man. SO MUCH POWER. Ungodly amounts of POWER.

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2011 at 0:07 Quote
Thank you for all the advice, leaning towards saint mainly because they are cheaper!

Cheers

Posted: Jul 8, 2011 at 0:50 Quote
Saints are 4pots brakes, so they have more modulation than 2 big pots. That's why I said Formula TheOne, with their huge 2pot calipers. You also have the Hope V2, but even more expensive Razz

But Saint are really good brakes, very powerfull, just with more modulation Smile

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2011 at 1:02 Quote
Ah thank you for that info! I'll see if any cheap formulas pop up as well then!

Posted: Jul 8, 2011 at 1:20 Quote
If you can find Saints at a relatively cheap price, just buy them. They are very powerful, don't overheat easily, easy to service (so I heard), and you would probably be fine with them. As for the TheOne, don't buy the 2009 or previous. They have the "old" master cylinder, which is like playing the lottery. Either you end up without having any problem, or you end up with constant leaking.

The new 2010 ones are fine, apparently.

Another thing is that on the Saint, you have the reach and free stroke adjustments on the brake. On the TheOne, you have to buy the FCS extension to have the free stroke adj (or find a set with the FCS already installed if you want it), and I don't know about the tool free reach adj (you can still change the reach with a 2mm allen key, like on almost every brake on the market)

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2011 at 2:16 Quote
Thank you very much for you help, much appreciated! Smile .

Cheers.

Posted: Jul 10, 2011 at 2:13 Quote
get some Magura Marta! Maybe a CC brake, but also a good choice for Dh! A friend has them on his Dh bike with 180mm Alligators and much better than the brakes he had before(Saint, Code)!

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2011 at 2:29 Quote
I'll look into that as well then!

Cheers

Posted: Jul 10, 2011 at 2:30 Quote
Martas are made of lightweight materials, and they won't sustend a continuous heat. They are good as XC brakes, yes, but I would never recommend them for DH use.

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2011 at 2:33 Quote
Hmmm...
I quite like the look of the new code too, anyone have any experience of those?
Cheers

Posted: Jul 10, 2011 at 3:58 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
Martas are made of lightweight materials, and they won't sustend a continuous heat. They are good as XC brakes, yes, but I would never recommend them for DH use.
You`re wrong! As I said a friend uses them with 180mm rotors for Downhill (leogang, Winterberg, Willingen, Schladming, ...). He has no problems with them. They are very light and have more then enough power. Before he had Codes and Saints and they are DH brakes, but he says the Marta are the best brakes he ever uses in Downhill. I rode them, too for 4x and I think the same that they are very good for Downhill. They are also some world cup riders, which use them.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010831
Mobile Version of Website