Powered by Outside

Shipping from Canada to US.

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Shipping from Canada to US.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 6, 2012 at 20:14 Quote
Is there a safe way to have an object shipped from Canada to the United States without taking big risks?

Posted: Sep 7, 2012 at 9:13 Quote
Canada post to USPS, FED-EX, Purolator, UPS, take your pick. What risks are you worried about? I'm Canadian, and have had lots of parts, gear and equipment sent from the US here!!

Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 6:23 Quote
I'm not sure what you mean by "risk", but no, there are no issues shipping back and forth. Just be aware of duties and taxes.

Posted: Jan 8, 2014 at 18:41 Quote
Do you guys know what the duties and taxes can get up to? I am trying to purchase a bike from Vancouver Island that is 1250 usd?

Posted: Jan 9, 2014 at 10:29 Quote
micanole wrote:
Canada post to USPS, FED-EX, Purolator, UPS, take your pick. What risks are you worried about? I'm Canadian, and have had lots of parts, gear and equipment sent from the US here!!

I am trying to buy a bike from a guy up on Vancouver Island, and he said last time that he had sold a frame to a guy in the US it took three months in Customs. Is this possible?

Posted: Jan 9, 2014 at 13:45 Quote
Well, I've never shipped to the US, but somehow, it doesn't sound right. That could have been his experience, but I've had 2 frames shipped to Cananda from the states, and it's never taken more than a week. I'd be careful dealing with this guy. He may be a scammer, check him with the mods. Also, it's never cost me more than $60 for duty, and quite often I've argued the UPS guy to drop the charges, because it is a used item. Good luck, and if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

Posted: Jan 14, 2014 at 19:33 Quote
I buy and sell motorcycle parts from us to canada all the time on another forum.... 3 months seems crazy. What we are lacking on this site is user feedback. On my streetfighter forum I can click on anyones profile ane see thier feedback as a buyer/ seller..... from people who have bought from or sold to them. Its simple and allows people to self police. Much less work for the mods.

FL
Posted: Jun 2, 2014 at 10:00 Quote
Hi just wondering what would be the cheapest and safest way to send a bike from US to Canada?

Posted: Jun 3, 2014 at 12:45 Quote
i am also looking at a bike that is from Canada and need it shipped to the us. the kid said he would take half now and half when i get the bike. and he also said that he would ship it via the greyhound. I dont know if that is trusty. what do you guys think?

O+
Posted: Jun 9, 2014 at 13:38 Quote
Reliable, Safe, Cheap? Canada post or US postal service (avoid greyhound and fedex/ups ground). A frame from canada to the usa, even to hawaii is gonna be no more than $120. US postal had better rates than Canada Post but its still better than the screwing over you'll get with a courier company when you suddenly get winged for "customs brokerage" fees that you may not get from the post office. I get stuff internationally all the time, I don't think I've paid customs on anything in the past nine months by mail and even if I do, the broker fee with the post office is only six or seven dollars (with UPS it starts at $20 and goes up with the item value). Make sure you ship with tracking though, and if you buy the shipping label thru paypal, you automatically qualify for the small business discount rate which can be worth around 5% usually.

Also always insist on (if you're the seller) that you're paid the FULL amount first... you can't COD across a border, nor can you reverse charge the shipping (ie, buyer claims they have a UPS or FedEx account, just charge that) internationally (only domestically). I treat business here the same as I do on ebay or amazon or anywhere else shopping online. If you're dealing with sellers who don't behave the same, find another seller.

FL
Posted: Jun 10, 2014 at 19:23 Quote
deeeight wrote:
Reliable, Safe, Cheap? Canada post or US postal service (avoid greyhound and fedex/ups ground). A frame from canada to the usa, even to hawaii is gonna be no more than $120. US postal had better rates than Canada Post but its still better than the screwing over you'll get with a courier company when you suddenly get winged for "customs brokerage" fees that you may not get from the post office. I get stuff internationally all the time, I don't think I've paid customs on anything in the past nine months by mail and even if I do, the broker fee with the post office is only six or seven dollars (with UPS it starts at $20 and goes up with the item value). Make sure you ship with tracking though, and if you buy the shipping label thru paypal, you automatically qualify for the small business discount rate which can be worth around 5% usually.

Also always insist on (if you're the seller) that you're paid the FULL amount first... you can't COD across a border, nor can you reverse charge the shipping (ie, buyer claims they have a UPS or FedEx account, just charge that) internationally (only domestically). I treat business here the same as I do on ebay or amazon or anywhere else shopping online. If you're dealing with sellers who don't behave the same, find another seller.

thanks bud.. hope everything goes well with my deal =)

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2014 at 19:46 Quote
Get an empty box outta a bike store, raid the dumpster after hours if they try and charge you for what they throw out anyway. Typical box dimensions for a complete bike is 120cm x 60 cm x 20 cm. The box alone is usually about 3kg so add the bike weight, then go to the canada post website shipping calculator and put in the numbers with your postal code and the destinationn zip code. Regular rate on the site is what 'expedited' is when you print the label off paypal.

Posted: Sep 17, 2018 at 15:56 Quote
I may have done it wrong but I tried out the shipping calculator for Canada post and got $415. If that’s correct looks like I’ll be making a road trip.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 12:26 Quote
Reviving an old thread here, not sure if there is more current info.

Looking to buy a used bike from Canada and have it shipped here to the US. Can I expect to be contacted by customs and have to pay customs/duty fees based on purchase price etc?

Thanks

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 18:00 Quote
gcooney2 wrote:
Reviving an old thread here, not sure if there is more current info.

Looking to buy a used bike from Canada and have it shipped here to the US. Can I expect to be contacted by customs and have to pay customs/duty fees based on purchase price etc?

Thanks

Only if the price exceeds I think its $800USD (check with US customs)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015214
Mobile Version of Website