Powered by Outside

Smaller rear shock

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Smaller rear shock
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 6, 2013 at 10:09 Quote
Hello I want to replace my original rear shock 215mm eye to eye , to 200mm shock , will smaller rear shock cause any serious problem or it is possible ?

Thanks !

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2013 at 13:38 Quote
It depends on the Frame/shock in question. Concerns would be how this will change your geometry and if the frame contacts itself at full travel with the shorter shock.

Posted: Jan 7, 2013 at 21:10 Quote
Some people do deliberately short shock their bikes, the goal is to make the head angle slacker, but at the expense of slightly reduced rear travel and a lower bottom bracket height. As Darkstar says though, it is dependent on your bikes frame, as some are unable to run anything other than what specced by the manufacturer.

Posted: Jan 8, 2013 at 3:43 Quote
thanks a lot , I'll try to see how it works !

Posted: Jan 11, 2013 at 23:52 Quote
How about a tracer 2

Posted: Jan 12, 2013 at 4:15 Quote
miotrA wrote:
thanks a lot , I'll try to see how it works !

Put the shock on 1st with no spring installed so you can cycle it thru it's travel and see if it contacts the frame.

But in my opinion 15mm is too much of a difference , the most you would want to shorten it by is 5 mm really , any thing more is very drastic.

With a shorter shock you will be using a different stage of of the suspension curve meaning that the very compliant 1st stage of travel has effectively already been used due to the shorter stroke.

Posted: Jan 12, 2013 at 4:44 Quote
What's the frame and fork?
If the frame don't contact I think it's ok although you might need to use higher PSI or harder spring.
Also you might want to lower you fork or change it for one with less travel or the head angle might be too slack and the bike will fell strange...

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2013 at 5:56 Quote
RafaGamas wrote:
What's the frame and fork?
If the frame don't contact I think it's ok although you might need to use higher PSI or harder spring.
Also you might want to lower you fork or change it for one with less travel or the head angle might be too slack and the bike will fell strange...

Yeah Im curious too what frame??

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 0:51 Quote
Keep an eye on Huckingkitty.com

I a few days I will post a DIY mod there, that allows for electronic adjustment of the ride height of just about any air shock.

Magura Smile

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 at 13:12 Quote
it's for Mongoose khyber, at the end I've found a proper shock to buy , so thanks all for the help .

Posted: Feb 4, 2013 at 8:45 Quote
I was better that way. Because that frame don't seem to have enough clearance with the shock to this type experiences.
Good riding

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 20:26 Quote
i want to put in a shock thet is 200x50 and the origenal is 205x60 do you think i can make up 5mm.

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 20:47 Quote
205 by 60 won't work. If you're mounting spots are 50mm wide, you cannot fit a shock that is 60mm wide

Posted: Feb 23, 2020 at 20:58 Quote
the shock i want to put on is 200x50 and my bike fits a 205x60.
i dont care abut loosing 10mm of stroke but i am not sure about the eye to eye being 5mm smaller

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 at 1:28 Quote
traqs wrote:
205 by 60 won't work. If you're mounting spots are 50mm wide, you cannot fit a shock that is 60mm wide

The larger number is the extended eye-to-eye length and the smaller number is the stroke, not width.

john-bayer wrote:
the shock i want to put on is 200x50 and my bike fits a 205x60.
i dont care abut loosing 10mm of stroke but i am not sure about the eye to eye being 5mm smaller

Assuming the mounting hardware is compatible, this will work. The starting point for the shorter shock is just 5 mm into the travel range of the stock shock. The ending point occurs when the shock is 150 mm long, compared to 145 mm for the stock shock, so the new range of motion is entirely within the original range.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012589
Mobile Version of Website