Avid Elixer 5

• Previous Page
Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 13:45 Quote
I recently bought a 2013 model DH bike, originally it's suppose to come with Formula RX breaks, but I think the shop put on some Avid Elixer 5 breaks on it for some reason.
What's a little disappointing is I don't even know if the Avid 5's on it are even 2013 models or not, or at least the newest available model. I think they're 2011 models or something. Maybe someone can help me find out.
But, my main question is what breaks are better? Or are they pretty equal? The shop seemed to be more fond of the Elixer 5's because they have them on their own bikes and have been good to them, and SRAM is good on customer service repairs and what not, but who knows.
Should I be disappointed, or should I be satisfied with the Elixer 5's?

Here is a link to a picture that looks like the Avid Elixer 5's I have on;
http://compare.productwiki.com/avid-elixir-5-r-r-disc-brake/

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 15:25 Quote
Devinci Wilson??

Either way I hate elixirs they pump up quickly and drive me insane
I upgraded my elixir 7s to saints best upgrade I've ever made

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 15:49 Quote
Yeah, it's a devinci Wilson. I can't afford to upgrade at this time, but yeah when I get the money I would love to get some Saint breaks.
I was just wondering because I might be able to get them to swap the Formulas back on. Maybe, but since they suggested in keeping the Avids I just wanted to ask to see what other people thought about them.

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 20:22 Quote
I just guessed a Wilson be side I have 2 friends who bought 2012 Wilson's both came with elixir 5s while the website said formulas.
I'm wondering if it was just a typo as all the Wilson's I've seen on trails have elixirs or upgraded brakes
As for the formulas I've never used them so I have no opinion on the original question other than I'm far from impressed with any avid brake I've used

Posted: Apr 21, 2013 at 20:33 Quote
Ok, that's good to know.

Posted: Apr 22, 2013 at 2:23 Quote
These are the "old" Elixir 5s, not the 2013 ones. It's kind of a hit or miss brake set, either you run them without any issues for multiple years, or you have problems from the first ride and on and on ...

Now between the RX and 5s, I'd pick the 5s (if you've got a "hit" series Big Grin ). Roughly the same power, but I prefer a lot more the feel of the Elixir levers, and the modulation they offer (compared to RXs).

Now if you have a "miss" series, definitely get the RX on, they're pretty good on reliability.

Posted: Apr 22, 2013 at 7:48 Quote
Sweet, thanks for the feedback! They seem to be going good so far without any issues, so they must be a good set, so that's good to know.
However, I'm kinda baffled to as why the shop put these on the bike, & I'm assuming they did. I think they claimed they came on the bike when Devinci first started manufacturing them, then later started putting on the formulas. But, if that is true, this is a 2013 model bike. Why are the Avids the older modles? Seems odd.

Posted: Apr 22, 2013 at 8:11 Quote
Devinci (and usually all the companies making bikes) has the "right" to change the spec list of their bikes without notice. They may have had problems with Formula getting all the RX brakes they asked, and therefore went to Avid to get enough Elixir brakes instead. It has been done before, so that would be my guess.

Now why these are the old Avids ... No idea ... Guess the new ones were more expensive and Devinci got a deal for a fat bunch of Elixir 5 ?

Posted: Apr 22, 2013 at 9:04 Quote
Yeah, I guess I can see that, and would make sense. Well, I guess as you were saying though, as long as the Elixir's go without issues I'll probably just keep em. No need to cause any complications if I don't need to Smile

Posted: Apr 22, 2013 at 11:12 Quote
Dude, sell the elixirs while they are pretty much new and get sum Shimano Zee's.

Posted: Apr 22, 2013 at 18:40 Quote
Yeah, I thought about maybe selling them. That might be a good idea, I think I've seen some good deals on the Shimano Zee as well. Hmmmm

Posted: Apr 23, 2013 at 19:18 Quote
Zees are basically saints with less adjustment reviews are unreal about the entire zee lineup they appear to be up near the top for bang for your buck

Posted: Apr 23, 2013 at 20:36 Quote
Sweet! Maybe I can score some in good condition used ones Smile

Posted: Apr 24, 2013 at 10:13 Quote
I have a box of Avid brakes.... nothing but issues. Ended up swapping them off all my bikes and off my girl friends bikes.

I was always having to bleed the silly things.. the kit cost me 70 bucks for 2 50 cent syringes and a tiny bottle of brake fluid... the kit worked well for 2 bleeds then began to bleed air back into the system making bleeding extremely time consuming. Then there were the lever issues.... having to push your brake lever back out manually is very annoying.

Running Saints now, best upgrade I've ever done.

Posted: Apr 24, 2013 at 17:07 Quote
Dang that sucks. I'm not sure what to do really, I just can't afford any upgrades right now. Even if I sold my new Avids I'm not sure if I could still afford paying the difference on a set of Saints Frown
So far the Avids on my bike are acting ok, I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens. If they start acting up then maybe ill just have to find a way to upgrade.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012469
Mobile Version of Website