Powered by Outside

Tapered fork in a none tapered head tube

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Tapered fork in a none tapered head tube
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 15, 2013 at 14:12 Quote
Hi everyone i need help iv not been on this part before so please bear with me

Iv got a Giant Reign 0 it a 2009 im in the middle of buying new forks can i fit a tapered fork to my none tapered headtube iv seen lots the comments on this people saying you can and cant i just want to no if i can.
the ID of my head tube is 44mm

If i can do this could you send me the links to the pages so i can buy the stuff

Any help on this would be very mush appreciated many thanks

Matt

O+
Posted: Dec 17, 2013 at 17:36 Quote
I've debated doing the same thing with my 2010 Giant Trance, which also has a 44mm headtube. You can supposedly use a 1.5 bottom cup on the bottom and keep current top, but my Trance has an hour glass shaped headtube with very little space that's actually 44mm. If the headtube was straight, I'd say no problem. I'm curious to see if anyone has pulled it off.

Posted: Dec 17, 2013 at 21:55 Quote
You should be able to do it. I even with an head tube which isn't straight. If you run a standard 1.1/8 upper and a 1.5 lower. If you haven't got the space to set the lower into the head you can always run an external cup on the bottom.

As for purchase, I've brought from works components before and they will mix and match for you to get it sorted - if I remember correctly they have a section for giant and the different head tubes that they (giant) have.

Posted: Dec 18, 2013 at 1:14 Quote
Matt you double posting, I've answered this previously?

Posted: Dec 18, 2013 at 8:42 Quote
No, as far as I know you cannot do this. You can run a Straight 1-1/8" in a tapered or 1.5 " head tube with the use of a reducer head set or reducer crown race. I did this with my 2010 Reign x2 which had a tapered head tube. But pretty sure you cannot run a tapered fork in a head tube made for 1-1/8.
As for the comment below about using an external head set on the bottom, giant uses a Semi-integrated/0 stack head set which means you cannot use your standard external head set. maybe you can modify it, but i think it would not be good to do.

O+
Posted: Dec 18, 2013 at 22:31 Quote
Reignx08 wrote:
No, as far as I know you cannot do this. You can run a Straight 1-1/8" in a tapered or 1.5 " head tube with the use of a reducer head set or reducer crown race. I did this with my 2010 Reign x2 which had a tapered head tube. But pretty sure you cannot run a tapered fork in a head tube made for 1-1/8.
As for the comment below about using an external head set on the bottom, giant uses a Semi-integrated/0 stack head set which means you cannot use your standard external head set. maybe you can modify it, but i think it would not be good to do.

As long as the head tube is straight 44 mm internal diameter it should be compatible with 1 1/8" straight or tapered. A good example is the older style chromoly Ragley Blue Pig. Another good example is the Soma Juice which actually has the 44 mm with an hour glass shape like my Giant. A few of the steel rigs have this in order to be compatible with the modern tech. My concern for the Giant is the portion of the head tube where the headset "presses" in is very small before it starts tapering into the hour glass shape. The bottom headset cup might not press all the way in.

Posted: Dec 19, 2013 at 3:25 Quote
You can:
Commencal Supreme 6 frame with 44ID Nukeproof tapered headset

44mm ID headtube (top and bottom), ZS44 cup on top, EC44 cup at the bottom.

Posted: Feb 27, 2014 at 20:56 Quote
hi i have a tampered frame but i dont now if will work on my non tampered fork what is the best idea to fix it

Posted: Feb 27, 2014 at 21:03 Quote
markjake wrote:
hi i have a tampered frame but i dont now if will work on my non tampered fork what is the best idea to fix it
any reply or idea

Posted: Feb 27, 2014 at 21:49 Quote
If you have a frame that is tapered, 1.1/8 - 1.5 then you can either a straight or tapered fork. You will need to buy the appropriate headset. And I assume that the fork has a 1.1/8 steer.

I have a 1.5 straight head tub end run a 1.1/8 steerer using a reducer headset. As your frame is tapered you will just need to replace the lower cup assembly or bearing unit with one that is sized to reduce from 1.5 to 1.1/8.

If it's any help I got mine from works components.

Posted: Feb 28, 2014 at 0:02 Quote
If you're running a a 1 1/8 steerer into a tapered head tube, I'd recommend using a standard tapered head set and use a crown race adapter that'll let the 1 1/8 steerer fit the 1 1/2 bottom head set cup. This way you don't have to switch out head set cups if you go from tapered to straight or straight to tapered.

Posted: Feb 28, 2014 at 11:45 Quote
foobajoob wrote:
If you're running a a 1 1/8 steerer into a tapered head tube, I'd recommend using a standard tapered head set and use a crown race adapter that'll let the 1 1/8 steerer fit the 1 1/2 bottom head set cup. This way you don't have to switch out head set cups if you go from tapered to straight or straight to tapered.
Yes, and most crown race reducers are only $10-20.

O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2018 at 21:44 Quote
Just digging this thread, i have a 2010 trance frame, im wondering if anyone managed to fit a tapered fork in it?

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 19:12 Quote
Hey daughter has a trek Cali with 1 1/8 steering stem I was wondering the same thing Anybody done this to a trek

Posted: Apr 8, 2018 at 20:27 Quote
I use to have a Trek with a straight 1 1/8 steerer on it, and looked on you tube for ways to fit a tapered fork. Well, there is a way, you need to get a external bottom part of a head set, which Cane Creek makes. What you will need to do is to measure in inside diameter of both the top and bottom of your head tube, so they can you the correct size, they have a neat size finder on their website. Hope that helps.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014027
Mobile Version of Website