Bike Rack Suggestions?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Bike Rack Suggestions?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 21:04 Quote
Ok so im looking into a new bike rack because my current setup with a Thule Raceway Platform 2 Bike on my dads car isnt working well and i really dont trust how loose it can be at certain setups considering we will be carrying to downhill bikes with a weight of around 75 pounds. We have decided to go with a trailer hitch not any of the strap models. We need a trailer hitch that is not the problem its just finding a good bike rack. My friend recommended the Yakima Holdup, Also ive looked into the The Thule T2 Bike rack too. I just want your guys input so any recommendations would be great Smile

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 21:07 Quote
JacobTheDirtJumper wrote:
Ok so im looking into a new bike rack because my current setup with a Thule Raceway Platform 2 Bike on my dads car isnt working well and i really dont trust how loose it can be at certain setups considering we will be carrying to downhill bikes with a weight of around 75 pounds. We have decided to go with a trailer hitch not any of the strap models. We need a trailer hitch that is not the problem its just finding a good bike rack. My friend recommended the Yakima Holdup, Also ive looked into the The Thule T2 Bike rack too. I just want your guys input so any recommendations would be great Smile
highly recommend the north shore rack, it is canadian based so they do ship, you can get it in 2,4 and 6. easily fits six or how many ever the bike rack is for and is very easy to put bikes on and does not scratch your frame. http://dirttreaders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7312

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 21:10 Quote
bearclaw56 wrote:
highly recommend the north shore rack, it is canadian based so they do ship, you can get it in 2,4 and 6. easily fits six or how many ever the bike rack is for and is very easy to put bikes on and does not scratch your frame. http://dirttreaders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7312

Ok thanks i shall take a look into that

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 21:27 Quote
Note on the North Shore rack:

You definitely want to try it with your bike first. It works great with single crown forks, but dual crown forks that aren't Fox 40s or BoXXers can have a real hard time fitting into the rack. Example:

My freind has the North Shore rack & with my White Brothers Groove, it takes 2 people to get the bike out of the rack because it is such a tight/improper fit. My other friend who has a Dorado has the same problem in the rack.

So, certain dual crown fork/headtube combinations don't really work well with the North Shore rack. If your bikes fit though, it's a sweet rack.

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 21:28 Quote
jonathanmb1 wrote:

You definitely want to try it with your bike first. It works great with single crown forks, but dual crown forks that aren't Fox 40s or BoXXers can have a real hard time fitting into the rack. Example:

My freind has the North Shore rack & with my White Brothers Groove, it takes 2 people to get the bike out of the rack because it is such a tight/improper fit. My other friend who has a Dorado has the same problem in the rack.

So, certain dual crown fork/headtube combinations don't really work well with the North Shore rack. If your bikes fit though, it's a sweet rack.

Ok thank you! Helpful tip

Posted: Apr 20, 2014 at 21:38 Quote
jonathanmb1 wrote:

i have a devinci wilson with 2013 boxers and fits fine, also have a couple friends with 40's which you have too wiggle a little but comes out pretty easy

Posted: Apr 21, 2014 at 13:02 Quote
bearclaw56 wrote:
jonathanmb1 wrote:

i have a devinci wilson with 2013 boxers and fits fine, also have a couple friends with 40's which you have too wiggle a little but comes out pretty easy

Ok i have a specialized 2011 demo 8 bit 2011 boxxer Rc's But i think im leaning towards the thule bike rack but im still considering this one

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 16:34 Quote
Also definitely check out Kuat racks. Im using their Sherpa, and yes its a bit heavy but I have NO concerns about reliability or safety of my bike. They are definitely some of the most durable and reliable racks on the market. Similar in price to the North Shore racks and much faster to load. http://kuatracks.com/en/products/hitch/

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 22:20 Quote
I had a north shore rack for years. It's ok. Probably one of the better shuttle racks for 4 bikes and definitely the best for 6. If you regularly carry less than 4, I'd stay away. Compared to much of the competition they are slow to load, heavier than necessary and you can't get replacemt parts.

I was actually hit in a parking lot and my rack was mangled. I literally live about 5 blocks from the north shore racks head office (picked my rack up there several years afo). I needed a few replacement parts but they wouldn't do anything for me, just wanted me to buy a new rack at nearly $800.

I've since bought a thule t2 and I swear by it. I have the 4-bike extension but I like how it is removable as I rarely carry more than 2. It's so much easier to load, will fit more bike and fork models and looks way better on the back of my vehicle.

I was a die hard supporter or NS Racks for a long time and it you regularily carry 4+ bikes it's the way to go. If you're usually carrying 1-2, however, go with the T2 for sure.

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 22:56 Quote
Tons of people in alberta use a "ratrack" which is a rack thats hand made by a fellow by the name of richard ratte, possibly spelled differently. Best rack going in my opinion, beats the shat out of the north shore racks. My only beef is that they are heavy as. Otherwise flawless. He might ship one off to ya. He builds all different variations, i think the biggest he has done is an 8 bike version, but 4-6 is the most common. I believe he charges 5 or 600, and they are a verticle hanging style requiring only your tires to touch the rack so any and all shuttle damage is eliminated and theres no way short of your trailer hitch falling off that you will loose a bike.

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 13:37 Quote
bearclaw56 wrote:

Ok i have a specialized 2011 demo 8 bit 2011 boxxer Rc's But i think im leaning towards the thule bike rack but im still considering this one

Go for a Thule rideon 2 mate, there's always plenty on fleabay for good money. One in good nick will be sub 100 quid. Unless you must have to buy new. Takes two DH bikes well enough, although buying some good quality cam buckle cargo straps is a good idea, as the ones that come with the rack can have a tendency to work loose.

Posted: Apr 24, 2014 at 10:32 Quote
rc8r67 wrote:
bearclaw56 wrote:

Go for a Thule rideon 2 mate, there's always plenty on fleabay for good money. One in good nick will be sub 100 quid. Unless you must have to buy new. Takes two DH bikes well enough, although buying some good quality cam buckle cargo straps is a good idea, as the ones that come with the rack can have a tendency to work loose.

I ended up getting a thule T2 with a 2 inch Version. I heard its alot stronger than the 1 1/2 inch version and it definitely feels like it. Thank you everyone for the recommendations and help and i considered all of them but ended up with the thule

Posted: Apr 24, 2014 at 12:09 Quote
rc8r67 wrote:

I ended up getting a thule T2 with a 2 inch Version. I heard its alot stronger than the 1 1/2 inch version and it definitely feels like it. Thank you everyone for the recommendations and help and i considered all of them but ended up with the thule

I really should pay more attention and not post when it's gone midnight!...I couldn't figure out how the hell you got a T2 rack in the UK. Then noticed you're in the US Facepalm lol

Posted: Apr 24, 2014 at 12:18 Quote
rc8r67 wrote:
rc8r67 wrote:

I really should pay more attention and not post when it's gone midnight!...I couldn't figure out how the hell you got a T2 rack in the UK. Then noticed you're in the US Facepalm lol

lol

Posted: Apr 24, 2014 at 12:35 Quote
It is a nice bit of kit though...now I want one lol

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013255
Mobile Version of Website