Powered by Outside

Whats a good Enduro type bike for someone who is somewhat heavy?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Whats a good Enduro type bike for someone who is somewhat heavy?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 12, 2014 at 16:09 Quote
This is my first post one here, sorry the noobish question. I'm in my mid 30's and getting back into riding after a 14 year
absence. I'm what most would consider overweight but I still ride with the aggression and motivation that I did back then. I move quite well for a fat guy is what I'm getting at. I'm currently riding a Trek EX5 because I got it cheap and it was basically brand new and almost half price. Even though its nice having disc brakes for the first time and better suspension than before I can tell I'm overriding the bike with a combination of my riding style and body weight which is 240 for now but I'm working on getting down to about 200ish again. I really like the look of Specialized bikes but I could really only swing about $3,000 at an absolute max. Any help would be great.

Posted: Jul 13, 2014 at 10:27 Quote
Get a giant. If youre heavy, its all about the warranty. Giants have better suspension, and a better warranty.

Posted: Jul 13, 2014 at 14:26 Quote
What sort of riding are you doing, going to do, on your new bike?

Saying Giants have better suspension is a bit vague!

Best thing to do is try out a few bikes and see which you like the feel of best.

Posted: Jul 13, 2014 at 14:28 Quote
First off, don't apologize for asking a question, that's how you learn.

Rocky Mountain is burly and can handle any abuse you throw at it, and yet their bikes climb fantastically, as good or better than many of the lighter bikes out there, in our opinion. You can ride them as hard as you want, they won't complain. Also, if you like the Trek you are on now, the Trek Remedy is a solid bad ass bicycle. It's light, durable, and can also handle anything you throw at it, and has enough travel for what you want to do with it, and your weight won't be a problem for it.

and for what it's worth, Trek has a lifetime warranty on the frame

Posted: Jul 13, 2014 at 15:43 Quote
You can always look at 2nd hand bikes, you can really good quality bikes really cheap.

Posted: Jul 13, 2014 at 15:58 Quote
The type of riding I do is trails that run along the Missouri river. Some pretty rough, some not so much, some descents of 200 feet and climbs of that as well. I'm an aging man so I don't ride in a way I would call "extreme", but I do weigh more than many other riders which puts extra strain on rims, brakes, and suspension. I think I have bent my front rim some because the brakes rub for about 1/4 of a turn. I'm not brand loyal but like I said I would like to spend around $3,000 at the most but I was looking at the Haibike Xduro mid drive electric AMT pro and that thing would be worth the extra money. My state allows such bikes on non-motorized trials so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm not lazy but it would be nice having some assistance getting back up those 200 foot hills that are steep.

Posted: Jul 13, 2014 at 23:01 Quote
Cody01 wrote:
The type of riding I do is trails that run along the Missouri river. Some pretty rough, some not so much, some descents of 200 feet and climbs of that as well. I'm an aging man so I don't ride in a way I would call "extreme", but I do weigh more than many other riders which puts extra strain on rims, brakes, and suspension. I think I have bent my front rim some because the brakes rub for about 1/4 of a turn. I'm not brand loyal but like I said I would like to spend around $3,000 at the most but I was looking at the Haibike Xduro mid drive electric AMT pro and that thing would be worth the extra money. My state allows such bikes on non-motorized trials so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm not lazy but it would be nice having some assistance getting back up those 200 foot hills that are steep.
Get a stumpjumper Evo or a specialized enduro, they are around 3000 or 3400 IIRC, strong and dependable bikes, well I can said if you want to drop weight avoid electric bikes not being a dick or nothing, but pedaling is the only way.

Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 5:41 Quote
Cody01 wrote:
This is my first post one here, sorry the noobish question. I'm in my mid 30's and getting back into riding after a 14 year
absence. I'm what most would consider overweight but I still ride with the aggression and motivation that I did back then. I move quite well for a fat guy is what I'm getting at. I'm currently riding a Trek EX5 because I got it cheap and it was basically brand new and almost half price. Even though its nice having disc brakes for the first time and better suspension than before I can tell I'm overriding the bike with a combination of my riding style and body weight which is 240 for now but I'm working on getting down to about 200ish again. I really like the look of Specialized bikes but I could really only swing about $3,000 at an absolute max. Any help would be great.

you've picked a great time to get back into mt bike riding (but really is there ever a bad time??) there's plenty of great bikes out there, you wont go wrong with any of the big players (except maybe Scott, just my opinion....)

see if you can't get yourself along to a test ride season.
some shops can arrange financing, if that's an option? i think its a worthwhile investment, you get a new bling toy, fitness, outdoors, weight loss, new friends, and the buzz of pushing yourself to new performance levels. Salute

Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 13:01 Quote
Knolly Chilcotin. I weigh 250 ready to ride, and the bike just doesn't care not one bit. Ive had a Trek Slash, and have some time on a V2 Rune, and an Enduro. The Knolly required the least amount of fussing when it came to setting up the suspension at my weight (the rune was pretty sweet though). I think once you get north of 220 you should stay away from proprietary shock sizes and mounts. You really want some thing that moves a good bit of oil it makes a world of difference. However at 3000 your going to have to stalk the buy sell page for a bit. They usually go for 3-3500.

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 13:15 Quote
OTEFruita wrote:
First off, don't apologize for asking a question, that's how you learn.

Rocky Mountain is burly and can handle any abuse you throw at it, and yet their bikes climb fantastically, as good or better than many of the lighter bikes out there, in our opinion. You can ride them as hard as you want, they won't complain. Also, if you like the Trek you are on now, the Trek Remedy is a solid bad ass bicycle. It's light, durable, and can also handle anything you throw at it, and has enough travel for what you want to do with it, and your weight won't be a problem for it.

I have owned 2 Rocky Mountains and I have to agree that they are gluttons for abuse - I have tried everything to break them and they refuse to be broken! I am not a heavy rider but a very aggressive rider and hit pretty big features - i break components all the time and have damaged other frames, but the RM frames are tough!

I'll assume they have good CS on warranties as well but I've never had to find out!

Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 15:43 Quote
I went to the local bike shop today and checked bikes out. They have Yeti, Specialized, and Giant. The Giant and Specialized bikes seem to be priced pretty good. They have a couple of carry over Yeti's from last year or so that look nice but still $3,900. Like a BT66 or something.

Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 15:46 Quote
The 66 is one of the most loved bikes of yeti IIRC. Specialized enduro is a great bang for the buck anyways as I recall you could be better on a stumpjumper evo as is a better climber

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 20:35 Quote
Transition Covert .... It's built like a tank!

I weighed 275 when I got mine last year ... 225 now!

Posted: Jul 16, 2014 at 1:13 Quote
Cody01 wrote:
I went to the local bike shop today and checked bikes out. They have Yeti, Specialized, and Giant. The Giant and Specialized bikes seem to be priced pretty good. They have a couple of carry over Yeti's from last year or so that look nice but still $3,900. Like a BT66 or something.

I thought Yeti had high prices because they are still made in the US, not sure if thats the case. Giant is pretty much the world giant in so are hard to beat value wise, but they do deliver well.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013837
Mobile Version of Website