Powered by Outside

"Sexiest" Singlespeed FR/DH Bike Thread. (What and How-To included)

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
"Sexiest" Singlespeed FR/DH Bike Thread. (What and How-To included)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Apr 11, 2015 at 18:31 Quote
Rules: Share sexy singlespeed DH bikes! Loose definition of DH.. as long as it is +160mm of travel. Posting of your own bike is allowed.

Anyone who rants for pages and pages without posting will be banned for a few days. But seeing that this is a smaller category of bikes, I don't expect there to be a new bike every day.

For non-SS-specific sexy DH bikes, this is the thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two Parts required to Singlespeed your DH bike (or any other bike for that matter):

1. Chain Tensioner!

That can be a singleator chain tensioner (these are spring loaded), a dual-pulley tensioner (like Paul, Rohloff, Problem Solvers, Yess, Shimano Alfine (apparently it works), etc.), or even your current rear derailleur!

You just need a longer "high gear" limit bolt! Check this Sheldon Brown webpage if you don't know what that is.

When using your derailleur as the tensioner:
bigquotesYou can use an old shifter cable and put it straight into the derailleur's cable housing stopper. Hold the derailleur extended at the correct chainline, and tighten the cable clamp. Or you can acquire a long limit screw to push the high gear limit inwards to achieve that optimal chainline. The long limit screw can be a great idea for if you want choice on the trail or are simply not sure of what ratio to run, so you can just slap 2 or 5 cogs and use that bolt to try the different speeds without disassembling!

2. Rear Cog!

This can be easily acquired from a bike shop. Also available online separately or in "SS" kits. If you don't want to buy one just yet, you can (probably) disassemble your cassette and just select whichever size cog from that. (some cassette models may not allow for this)

How to Singlespeed your DH bike:

1. Rip the shifter pod, gear cable, and 4 or so zip ties off your bike! Your current rear derailleur may be used in place of the tensioner, if you don't want to buy a singlespeed tensioner.

2. Remove the cassette from your rear wheel. This requires a cassette lockring tool and chain whip, which your bike shop (or a riding buddy) will have. If not, it is NOT a bike shop!

3. Figure out what size rear cog you want to run! Tooth count will depend on the number of teeth on your chain ring. I personally chose 34-16 for now, because I've got a lot of pedaling to get to trail heads. Experiment! You can also figure out what cog to run by identifying your favourite gear when running your multi-speed drivetrain.

4. Slide your spacers and your cog of choice on. But DON'T TIGHTEN THE LOCK RING YET

5. Check for chainline! I personally flip the bike upside down and see if the tips of the teeth on the cog line up with the chain ring's, and vise versa for good measure! You can be off by a milimeter and it should generally be fine. Anything more and you will experience un-chaining.

6. Tighten the lock ring snug! (amount of force required is usually written on the lock ring itself)

7. Enjoy having a lighter bike, without the clutter of your gear cable. Be careful, you might go much faster since you will be focused more on the riding and flow!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#MODS theminsta, #MODS
#USERS all #USERS
#BANS hopefully not you #BANS

Banned list will be wiped clean every week.

Posted: Apr 11, 2015 at 18:31 Quote
photo
2015 Giant Glory 650b
650b giant glory
photo
photo
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://fstatic2.mtb-news.de/f3/17/1780/1780622-aef5q09nnp2f-p1020515-original.jpg

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 at 3:57 Quote
this will always be my favourite
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/users/10564/setup_checks/24759/photos/20254/s1600_IMG_2235.jpg?1391864525

Posted: Apr 12, 2015 at 6:17 Quote
Such a lush frame. Rims should be destickered though!

FL
Posted: Apr 12, 2015 at 11:12 Quote
This is singlespeed, just using a mech as a tensioner (Used to belong to me) i miss that bike

Posted: Apr 14, 2015 at 1:05 Quote
What options are out there for spring loaded chain tensioners?

Posted: Apr 14, 2015 at 1:32 Quote
dirch wrote:
What options are out there for spring loaded chain tensioners?

The best imo is the Rohloff DH tensioner. Yess used to make a spring loaded tensioner that looked good but I've never tried it myself. Otherwise Shimano make a rather average looking one and Paul components produce one as well.

Posted: Apr 14, 2015 at 6:47 Quote
Updated the original post with the how-to and what information!

Posted: Apr 14, 2015 at 6:56 Quote
theminsta wrote:
Updated the original post with the how-to and what information!

Nice, like it.

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 at 22:40 Quote
Trying to single speed my dh atm. How do you sort out the chain line when using a derailleur to tension?

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 at 22:49 Quote
dirch wrote:
Trying to single speed my dh atm. How do you sort out the chain line when using a derailleur to tension?

Updated the OP with the info just now. Here is it so you don't have to fish for it!
bigquotesYou can use an old shifter cable and put it straight into the derailleur's cable housing stopper. Hold the derailleur extended at the correct chainline, and tighten the cable clamp. Or you can acquire a long limit screw to push the high gear limit inwards to achieve that optimal chainline. The long limit screw can be a great idea for if you want choice on the trail or are simply not sure of what ratio to run, so you can just slap 2 or 5 cogs and use that bolt to try the different speeds without disassembling!

Posted: Apr 24, 2015 at 23:01 Quote
theminsta wrote:
dirch wrote:

Updated the OP with the info just now. Here is it so you don't have to fish for it!
Awesome, thanks dude!

FL
Posted: Apr 25, 2015 at 7:48 Quote
My polygon should be singlespeed before long, just waiting on forks so I can build it back up

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013136
Mobile Version of Website