Powered by Outside

Dirt jumper 4 service dj 4. Does it need oil if so where?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt jumper 4 service dj 4. Does it need oil if so where?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 17, 2015 at 11:15 Quote
I think my 2007 dj 4 is topping out so I decided to give it a service, I am supposed to apparently use 7.5ml of oil in either leg but don't understand where you put it or why? As far as I can see there are two greased up coils with a rubber damper in the middle of the left leg coil. Any help would be much appreciated please!!
Graham

Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 8:18 Quote
Does anyone know whether I need to add oil please????

Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 14:19 Quote
Been a long while since I did my DJ1 but if I remember there is only oil in one fork leg where dampening assembly is and the other side has the coil spring. Mine was topping out harshly as I ride with 50lbs air pressure to stiffen it up so I put 30 weight fork oil from motocross shop in it, slows rebound down nicely. If you don't ride yours that firm pick up some 20 weight or even 15, that stock oil is about like water.

Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 14:53 Quote
Thanks for the advice Smile I have 10wt in at the moment so will increase it up. Mine has coils either side and no air valve. There is a rubber cylinder inside the left leg coil and the only adjusting I can do is increasing the preload in either leg- talk about budget forks! I only paid £25 for them 2nd hand anyway. Presumably due to the simplicity of my forks, I can reduce the travel in the fork by simply adding washers to the bottom end of the coils and then again at the top to effectively stiffen the set up and reduce travel, I am thinking that a stiffer and shorter spring is less likely to top out as harshly.

Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 14:57 Quote
Ok, if both legs have the sprin and "rubber plug" in them I'd say you have a dj3. These use an elastomer, no oil at all. Did it have actual fork oil in it when you took it apart? If it's elastomer dampened simply buy a tube of high quality synthetic grease and fill both legs up this will slow it way down on rebound just will need regreased ever so often.

Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 15:00 Quote
Its a 2007 dj 4 so that explains it. Graphite grease OK or do I need something thicker? Thanks so much, its hard to find any servicing advice for simple dj forks!

Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 15:11 Quote
V-T-T wrote:
Its a 2007 dj 4 so that explains it. Graphite grease OK or do I need something thicker? Thanks so much, its hard to find any servicing advice for simple dj forks!

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/listManuals.asp?t=dirt+jumper&tp=113&idMY=30710&Azione=Search&IDFolder=126&idC=1561

Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 15:13 Quote
Thanks, unfortunately that service manual doesn't show the internals and what grease to use.

Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 15:24 Quote
I used a mobile one synthetic red bearing grease in my old dj3 and it worked great.

Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 16:01 Quote
No problem, let me know how it works.

Posted: Aug 19, 2015 at 3:09 Quote
cmc4130 wrote:
V-T-T wrote:

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/listManuals.asp?t=dirt+jumper&tp=113&idMY=30710&Azione=Search&IDFolder=126&idC=1561

This is the closest to the internal design I have with the elastomer in one leg:
http://www.wheresweyland.com/images/2006_marzocchi_service_manuals/2006-dirt-jam-comp.pdf

I think the Dirt Jumper 4 is basically a re-badged Dirt Jam Comp!

Posted: Aug 19, 2015 at 3:12 Quote
I will grease them up good tonight, I put 7.5ml of 10wt oil in either leg last night. I am contemplating putting washers at the bottom to reduce travel (by effectively shortening the spring?) and washers at the top to increase the preload on the coils.

Posted: Aug 19, 2015 at 15:04 Quote
I have added some washers to the top of the fork leg to increase the preload and put a thick covering of lithium grease all over the coils...... and they are definitely working better Big Grin rebound seems slower and less obvious top out! However I am yet to try it other than on my road and bunny hopping, i will ride it properly tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!!

Posted: Aug 19, 2015 at 17:46 Quote
V-T-T wrote:
I have added some washers to the top of the fork leg to increase the preload and put a thick covering of lithium grease all over the coils...... and they are definitely working better Big Grin rebound seems slower and less obvious top out! However I am yet to try it other than on my road and bunny hopping, i will ride it properly tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!!

I had what might have been a "top out" problem with a 2006 Marzocchi Dirt Jam Pro. (When you pull the front wheel off the ground, the fork rebounds out with a "kkkng."

Heavier weight fork oil did help, but didn't totally resolve it. As it didn't appear to affect riding, I just kept riding it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.302514
Mobile Version of Website