What's the strongest brake for DH.

PB Forum :: Downhill
What's the strongest brake for DH.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 at 12:53 Quote
I'm looking for the best brakes on stopping power.
In my list I put Avid Code, Magura Gustav, Hope M6 and Formula Extreme.
What other?
What is the powerfull disc brake on the market?

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 at 12:58 Quote
All those brakes will knock you on your ass, you power isn;t the question to worry about. I would be more concerned with what one will be the easiest to service or get parts for. Based on your location, I would be looking at the Avid or the Magura simply based on comapny size and parts availibility in case you need after market help.

Posted: Oct 3, 2007 at 13:11 Quote
brule wrote:
All those brakes will knock you on your ass, you power isn;t the question to worry about. I would be more concerned with what one will be the easiest to service or get parts for. Based on your location, I would be looking at the Avid or the Magura simply based on comapny size and parts availibility in case you need after market help.

But then again, I was under the impression that Hope brakes are the most easily maintained.

Posted: Oct 3, 2007 at 13:41 Quote
The Avid Codes have been front and rear on my Glory all summer. I did over forty full days of lift access downhill this summer, and I can safely say if you can get one of the Juicy bleed kits, they are the easiest brake to maintain. I had my master cylinder apart on my workshop table at 8;30 one morning and was re-bled and ready to ride at nine. I've bled Shimano, Hayes, Magura and Hope, if you have the right bleed kit they are all fairly easy, but the quick clamps on the Avid syringes make it a joke to bleed them. I even did it in the parking lot at my local mountain, saving a riding day. Bonus: the Juicy kit works on any Avid hydraulic brake, Threes, Fives, Sevens, Carbons, Ultimates, Codes and Code Fives, so if your buddy with Avids needs a bleed, you can hook him (or her) up. HIGHLY RECCOMENDED!!!

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 at 14:19 Quote
^^^they may be easy to maintain, but since he lives in Brazil, a UK company may be harder to get parts for. Based on most details, I'd have to say that the Codes will be his best bet for long term serviceability and strength.

Posted: Oct 3, 2007 at 16:35 Quote
mafu wrote:
I'm looking for the best brakes on stopping power.
In my list I put Avid Code, Magura Gustav, Hope M6 and Formula Extreme.
What other?

Hope say their Moto V2 has more power than their M6.

Posted: Oct 3, 2007 at 16:37 Quote
i would go with the avid juicy9sPimp

Posted: Oct 3, 2007 at 17:51 Quote
for downhill?? in my opinion i would want something reliable that doesnt bring my wheel to a complete stop, locking your back wheel can become a hazard on a lot of downhill trails, in my opinion i would go with the hopes, there reliable and have good stopping power without locking your wheels

Posted: Oct 3, 2007 at 17:56 Quote
Formula is amazing

Posted: Oct 3, 2007 at 18:28 Quote
Locking your wheels has nothing to do with the power of your brakes, I've seen dudes with V-brakes lock up their wheels. In fact, you can lock your FRONT wheel on flat ground with V-brakes, just by moving your weight back. So what matters is not how much power your brake has, but how much USABLE power it has, or how much it MODULATES. The modulation of a brake is defined, in practice at least, as the amount that the lever throws towards the bar (as your finger squeezes it) between the point that your brake pads touch the rim or disc, and the point that the wheel locks up, with your body weight balanced between the two wheels. If you're pulling a Magura trials rim brake onto tarred rims, you have next to no modulation. On, off. If you have a set of Codes (for example) with 203mm discs, you can set your lever position AND your pad contact position, giving you maximum leverage (see? brake lever? leverage), and maximum modulation. If your wheel is sliding, you no longer have any traction, and you're not slowing down. You're just sliding.
Skids are for kids.

Posted: Oct 3, 2007 at 18:39 Quote
brake power is erelevent unless your tires can put that power to the ground. fade however can kill a DH run. go for some avid codes with 203mm rotors.

Posted: Oct 3, 2007 at 22:16 Quote
xxxxdj wrote:
i would go with the avid juicy9sPimp
..... yeah.... juicy 9's..... you really know what you are talking about kid...

Posted: Oct 3, 2007 at 22:52 Quote
I really like the modulation on Saint's. Still trying to find a good contact point/position on my levers.

I still get cramps on my left finger/hand though.

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 2:12 Quote
mafu wrote:

The most powerfull disc brake on the market is from Gatorbrake,there 8 piston brakes with the titanium plated gold rotors,Formula 1 hose made out off kevlar,Moto look caliper,4 small pistons and 4 large pistons.If you wanted the most extreme brake on the market this is the brake for you.

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 7:23 Quote
trekrules wrote:

The most powerfull disc brake on the market is from Gatorbrake,there 8 piston brakes with the titanium plated gold rotors,Formula 1 hose made out off kevlar,Moto look caliper,4 small pistons and 4 large pistons.If you wanted the most extreme brake on the market this is the brake for you.

More pistons does NOT mean more power.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010772
Mobile Version of Website