Powered by Outside

Maxxis MinionDHF or DHR II for Enduro?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Maxxis MinionDHF or DHR II for Enduro?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 6, 2015 at 1:37 Quote
So I've been running a Specialized Butcher front and Slaughter rear (both Grid casing) on my Nomad and have been pretty happy but the trail versions of the Minion DHF and DHR II have peaked my interest. To be honest I don't know too much about them. Is anyone running a DHF or DHR II? And I'm getting the impression that the DHR II is more of a rear tire but I've seen it spec'ed as a front on the 2016 Nomads? Also, how good is the EXO casing? I don't want a tire that's flimsy in the sidewall.

Posted: Dec 6, 2015 at 1:46 Quote
I currently run a dhf up front and a high roller 2 in the back. The dhf hooks up really well I almost anything you throw at it. It is my personal favorite as a front tire, I have the 2.3 tr Exo 3c version. I would definitely go Exo if you ride anything with rocks or sharp edges, it just nice having some extra protection. Exo basically beefs up the side wall giving it similar characteristics to dual ply without the dual ply weight penalty. Unfornately I have no time on the dhr 2, I usually just stick with a dual compound Exo high roller on the back.

Posted: Dec 6, 2015 at 2:36 Quote
Ive run the dhr 2 exo on the rear for a couple of seasons now,,great tyre for fit and forget,tried the hr2 took it off after 4 rides,awful compared to the dhr2.run a dhf on the front,but will be changing to dhr2 front and rear next season,seems a popular combo on a lot of the bikes used by the elite enduro riders.Give it a go,tyres are a personal choice though

Posted: Dec 6, 2015 at 3:10 Quote
I've been running Minion DHF EXO front & rear for years. Best tyres I've ever used. I've read great things about the DHR II. Google blistergearreview.com Minion DHR 2 for an in depth test of it used both as a rear and front tyre in standard format. He also gives instructions on how to cut it for front use with the conclusion that it makes an incredible front tyre as well as rear.

Posted: Dec 6, 2015 at 6:13 Quote
I run DHF front and DHR2 rear, both exo tr casings. Used to run the HR2 in the rear, but I find the DHR2 has about 90% of the cornering and braking of the HR2 but rolls much better.

Posted: Dec 7, 2015 at 22:55 Quote
I have a dhr2 in the back 2.3 and a magic Mary up front 2.35 and well it's amazing.

Posted: Dec 8, 2015 at 0:20 Quote
the blistergear review was back in 2012, the reference tires are different now I think

but all of the DHF/DHR2/HR2/SS tires in 27.5 and 29 sizes for TR/AM use are now all EXO, the DHF and DHR2 now also have a WT profile for wide rims

Posted: Dec 12, 2015 at 17:25 Quote
It depends on you trail. I had DHF on for the summer on dry hardpack and was a great tyre. I found in wet winter conditions it clogged up to much with mud and sketchy over roots. I decided to buy a dhr2 (supertaky) for the front and found it has so much more grip, doesn't clog up just a more confident front end. I put my DHF on the back and love it, only down side it doesn't break as well as a HR2.

Posted: Dec 13, 2015 at 6:15 Quote
tcarnie wrote:
I have a dhr2 in the back 2.3 and a magic Mary up front 2.35 and well it's amazing.

That's my set-up too, in 29er flava, and it's proving to be a good combo in the wetter muddy conditions up here inScotland. Definitely not for XC riding though as they drag a bit, but for techy trails they rock.

Posted: Mar 1, 2016 at 9:44 Quote
Pablo16v wrote:
tcarnie wrote:

That's my set-up too, in 29er flava, and it's proving to be a good combo in the wetter muddy conditions up here inScotland. Definitely not for XC riding though as they drag a bit, but for techy trails they rock.

I love the Mary up front on my first 29 and going to try dhr2 out back

Posted: Jun 22, 2016 at 12:56 Quote
Been running Magic Mary SS TS 2.35 front, Bontrager SE5 Team Issue 2.3 rear and it seems to be perfect for Spring/Fall riding in the Kootenays.

27.5 AM bike 160/140
21mm internal rims
Tubeless (of course)
Steep and techy AM/DH trails
230lb rider

I'd like to try Bontrager SE5 front, SE4 rear at some point. Roll a little quicker in summer months.

If trails are flowy blue squares, trail riding... I'd try SE4/SE4

Posted: Jun 22, 2016 at 19:17 Quote
I have DHR 2 in front and rear. In my opinion they are much better than Magic Mary's. I used High Roller 2s last year on my DH rig and loved them. I switched to Magic Mary's and they don't hook up on wet roots/rocks for shit. Switched to the DHR 2s now and they are amazing. I now use them on my enduro bike and find them to be excellent.

Posted: Jun 22, 2016 at 21:50 Quote
DHF,front and rear seems popular now aswell,anyone running it?

Posted: Jun 22, 2016 at 23:53 Quote
dimetera413 wrote:
I have DHR 2 in front and rear. In my opinion they are much better than Magic Mary's. I used High Roller 2s last year on my DH rig and loved them. I switched to Magic Mary's and they don't hook up on wet roots/rocks for shit. Switched to the DHR 2s now and they are amazing. I now use them on my enduro bike and find them to be excellent.

Strange. My Trailstar Magic Mary hooks up really well on wet roots and rocks and quite a few of the guys I ride with run them up front with no complaints. I wonder if you ran it too high a pressure as the MM really needs to be run quite soft to allow the tall knobs to fold and do their job. It's always interesting to hear others thoughts on a tyre though.

I've just switched my worn rear DHR2 for one of the new E13 tyres, the dual compound version. It's still early days but I really like how it feels. The tread rolls about the same as the DHR2, maybe a touch quicker but hard to judge, but more importantly for me the sidewall has a little more meat in it so I'm hoping it won't cut up as much as the EXO walls did on the Minion.

Posted: Jun 23, 2016 at 20:00 Quote
Pablo16v wrote:
dimetera413 wrote:

Strange. My Trailstar Magic Mary hooks up really well on wet roots and rocks and quite a few of the guys I ride with run them up front with no complaints. I wonder if you ran it too high a pressure as the MM really needs to be run quite soft to allow the tall knobs to fold and do their job. It's always interesting to hear others thoughts on a tyre though.

I've just switched my worn rear DHR2 for one of the new E13 tyres, the dual compound version. It's still early days but I really like how it feels. The tread rolls about the same as the DHR2, maybe a touch quicker but hard to judge, but more importantly for me the sidewall has a little more meat in it so I'm hoping it won't cut up as much as the EXO walls did on the Minion.

I agree that the Magic Mary Trailstar are not very good at all on wet rocks and roots, unless run at low pressures that are not usable by everyone. I wasn't able to run below 26psi on mine as I would get casing roll which I hate. There are many better options for wet rocks and roots.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012047
Mobile Version of Website