Powered by Outside

Steel vs. Aluminum in flexability

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Steel vs. Aluminum in flexability
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 12:04 Quote
I have heard that seel frames bend and absorbs much more inpact than aluminum frames. but my question is, is that enough to prevent back injuries? Is it a huge noticable difference?

thanks!

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 12:17 Quote
doesnt steel have more tensile strength than aluminium? meaning that it is less flexy and probably absorbs less!? who knows!

and as for back injuries i have noooo idea at all! Getting a rear shock would help.

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 12:21 Quote
Steel is generally flexier that aluminum, but i doubt that it would make any difference at all for back problems.

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 12:32 Quote
mamaloney wrote:
,,.?

If you don't have anything usefull to say, sit down and shut up.

Yes steel is flexier then aluminium, not nearly enough to help with back problems but at times it is noticable when riding.

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 12:33 Quote
s-t-e-v-e wrote:
mamaloney wrote:
,,.?

If you don't have anything usefull to say, sit down and shut up.

Yes steel is flexier then aluminium, not nearly enough to help with back problems but at times it is noticable when riding.
sorry.

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 12:36 Quote
I am only going off this:

[Quoten]I figured I would just send you a message in regards to you lower back issue.

One thing to note if you are jumping and taking drops on a hardtail (esp. a p.frame as they are very stiff with no qive what so ever.) the shock or hit rather will have no absorbtion from your frame and your body will absorb all the impact.

I had an older p.2 and have since switched to a couple different frames since then but I do remember dealing with lower back pain alot on one side more than the other. The only thing I can contribute to pain on one side only is which foot you have forward may cause that side to absorb more impact from a landing.

Example, I am right foot forward when I ride, and I brace more on that side also tensing up that leg. This tensing of the leg could cause the pain to travel up your leg into your hip/lower back.

The reason I realize I take more impact on that side is when I ride left foot forward off of a drop or jump I can feel myself doing it where it is natrual the other way.

I have since moved on to a Black Market frame, and all I have to say is I will never ride an aluminum hardtail frame again because it does not have enough give for my old body.

I am not a doctor or chiroprator, and most of this is my own theory but may shed some light on what is going on. But ride with your other foot forward for a day and see if the pain moves to the other side Later, [/Quoten]

I have a p2 now, I am kind of interested in the 08 suburban frame.

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 12:44 Quote
Aluminum bikes suck for DJ/Street. If you ride any thing else its fine but for DJ/street steel wins hands down. Steel is very flexy which is good because it abosrbs the skock of a hit then returns to its oringinal possition. Aluminum on the otherhand is very stiff and when it does flex it becomes weaker. An aluminum frame that is riden hard is only good for 3-4 years because it fatiguse over time whereas steel can last for ever as long as u make sure it doesn't rust. If you are riding DJ/Street go with steel. For DH go aluminum because the suspenison absorbs all the shock. For XC u can go either way. If you do want to get a steel frame get a Jamis Dragon. This frame is in my opinion the best XC steel frame out there.

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 13:24 Quote
steel isn't better, that's bullshit

it all depends on how the frame is built, not on alu/steel

BUT, steel frames mostly have better geo's for street/dirt

but i broke/bent more steel frames than alu frames

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 13:35 Quote
spongebomb wrote:

...idiot

Yes, steel is better for street/dj. Steel is a stronger, smoother riding and more durable metal then aluminium.

The material of the frame has nothing to do with the geometry of the bike. The reason you would notice that steel frames have better geo then aluminium is because eall the frames that are actualy made for street are steel, becasue stell is better for street.

The fact that you have bent allot of steel frames just means that you are most likely a hack.

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 13:38 Quote
well steel frames can melt at the welds if you use them for excessive downhill. But aluminium is pretty flexible too, which means sometimes if your not careful it will rust where it bends or flexes.

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 13:39 Quote
huckoveraduck wrote:
well steel frames can melt at the welds if you use them for excessive downhill. But aluminium is pretty flexible too, which means sometimes if your not careful it will rust where it bends or flexes.

Aluminium doesn't rust.

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 13:40 Quote
s-t-e-v-e wrote:
spongebomb wrote:

...idiot

Yes, steel is better for street/dj. Steel is a stronger, smoother riding and more durable metal then aluminium.

The material of the frame has nothing to do with the geometry of the bike. The reason you would notice that steel frames have better geo then aluminium is because eall the frames that are actualy made for street are steel, becasue stell is better for street.

The fact that you have bent allot of steel frames just means that you are most likely a hack.
He likes wrapping himself around a tree is probably a good reason too.

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 13:42 Quote
huckoveraduck wrote:

But when Aluminum bends it fatigues and weakens the bike.

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 13:43 Quote
alimunium will rust if you don't spray it with special undersealing paint where it has flexed from riding.

Your ok with steel frames you just have to watch out for the welds melting durig ridng. Also after 6 months your tubes will become apporimately 1 mm longer from expansion and contraction during riding which is usally when the welding melts and your frame brakes.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007166
Mobile Version of Website