Best tire

• Previous Page
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 9:24 Quote
The title says it all:

I need new tires, and I'm wondering which brands/models are the best. I live and ride in southern california so it's mostly dry and hard packed dirt. i have a trek remedy 9, i run tubeless, and i primarily do 1-3 hour rides to practice for enduro racing (not sure if that info is needed or not)

my first thought is to get some maxxis minions because thats the only brand i know of and more importantly i would look pretty cool, but i thought i might as well see what else is out there.

thanks!

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 9:31 Quote
Dhf front/Dhr2 rear
Magic Mary front/ Nobby Nic rear

FL
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 10:16 Quote
Might go with the rock razor rear over the nic

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 10:22 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
Might go with the rock razor rear over the nic

I debated with with the rock razor, may give it a whirl the next time around. Definitely should roll better.

FL
Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 16:30 Quote
2.5wt aggressor for rear

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 19:16 Quote
DHF front, Agressor rear is my go to in socal. Second is DHF/DHR2

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 19:50 Quote
I needed a new rear tire to replace my Continental Mountain King that blew out a sidewall, and after some research I narrowed it down to DHR II or Aggressor. Picked the Aggressor, but haven’t got a chance to ride it yet. My Mountain Kings are about 3 years old and still have great traction, and the front is still on the bike set up tubeless. The rear started burping air, so I put in a tube, then it started warping, and finally blew.

Maybe next week I will see if the Aggressor is as good as it’s reviews.

Posted: Jan 26, 2018 at 20:53 Quote
Always keep the DHF on the front. My combos in order of favorites:
1) DHF front/aggressor rear - best all around. Aggressor is a good climber, good with braking, lighter than other maxxis options, fast rolled, very consistent in lay-over
2) DHF front/DHRII rear - Great traction and incredible braking power. So-so turning, heavier than aggressor, slower rolling
3) DHF front/DHF rear - Best cornering combo of all three here - it's hard to get this combo to break loose! Rolls faster than dhrii but not as fast as aggressor. Worst braking of the three.

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 at 0:22 Quote
angelofverdun wrote:
1) DHF front/aggressor rear - best all around. Aggressor is a good climber, good with braking, lighter than other maxxis options, fast rolled, very consistent in lay-over
2) DHF front/DHRII rear - Great traction and incredible braking power. So-so turning, heavier than aggressor, slower rolling
3) DHF front/DHF rear - Best cornering combo of all three here - it's hard to get this combo to break loose! Rolls faster than dhrii but not as fast as aggressor. Worst braking of the three.

My preferences is for dhr2 front and dhf rear. I find the dhr2 digs in really well and the dhf has a very predictable drift from the back end and also rolls super fast. A friend just put on and Aggressor on the rear when I recommended for him to get another dhf to complement the one already on the front. I haven't used the Aggressor but I can't see it being as good as a dhf.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 27, 2018 at 5:48 Quote
I really like both schwalbe hans dampfs and maxxis dhr's. I randomly ended up with a combo of a hans dampf in the front and dhr in the back, it's been a sweet combo. But I started out with dampfs in both the front and back, that was rad until I blew out the rear, hence how I ended up with a dhr in the rear.

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 at 6:54 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
angelofverdun wrote:

My preferences is for dhr2 front and dhf rear. I find the dhr2 digs in really well and the dhf has a very predictable drift from the back end and also rolls super fast. A friend just put on and Aggressor on the rear when I recommended for him to get another dhf to complement the one already on the front. I haven't used the Aggressor but I can't see it being as good as a dhf.

The only thing I dislike about the DHR2 is I found that it broke loose and went sideways every once in a while due to the large paddle knob that it has. I could save it most of the time in the rear, but could not save it when the front suddenly went sideways.

DHF and aggressor don't have that large paddle and as great braking as a result, but I find they corner more predictably.

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 at 13:25 Quote
for the front high roller II because its fast roling tyre and has a lot of grip and for back Minion ss or high roller II depending on how aggressive tyre you need.

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2018 at 13:34 Quote
Hard to beat DHF/Aggressor combo in my experience. I tried a bunch of tires, but I'm settled on this set-up now.

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 at 14:29 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
angelofverdun wrote:

I think it all comes down to how you ride and the dirt you are riding. Most of my riding is loose over hard Colorado dirt sharp rocks. There are certainly times of the year or types of riding I would not hesitate to switch out to any of these combos.

If I were only riding park, DHF/DHF would be my go to as it rails corners, rolls well, and there is little braking emphasis
I'd run the DHF/DHRII early/late season when the dirt is soft and I can get the logs into the ground. I'd run run DHF/Aggressor in the summer when it gets dry loose and dusty.

Posted: Jan 27, 2018 at 15:33 Quote
Wishiwasbiking wrote:
panaphonic wrote:
angelofverdun wrote:

The only thing I dislike about the DHR2 is I found that it broke loose and went sideways every once in a while due to the large paddle knob that it has. I could save it most of the time in the rear, but could not save it when the front suddenly went sideways.

DHF and aggressor don't have that large paddle and as great braking as a result, but I find they corner more predictably.

Well, ironically this is exactly what happened to me today with the DHR2 rear. To add to that I think I'm just about done trying these damn clipless pedals...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010767
Mobile Version of Website