inverted forks!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
inverted forks!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 16:18 Quote
why don't you see inverted forks being used more often in the freeride DH scene?
to me it would only make more sense. less unsprung weight, so you have better suspension performance and the bike will handle better and also you can make a better performing fork when you got inverted forks. just like when motocross bikes changed from regular forks to inverted back in the early 90's, late 80's so they would have the benefits from them

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 16:21 Quote
I have a Dorado and a Shiver (currently) and love them both. Because they lack the the lower crown they have some flex. I don't mind it, but it seems to be the major issue with them. The other major one is cost, they are more expensive to produce.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 16:26 Quote
I think a lot of people faulted them for how heavy they were too.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 16:28 Quote
A Dorado is 7.5 pounds. It's lighter than the coil 2008 888's, and equal to the weight of a Travis. The Shiver I guess, but compared to what else was out when it started, lighter than the 13 pound Monster T.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 18:18 Quote
well, the dorado used to be hugely popular. i own one and love it.

the thing is, nobody else really started to make them, and manitou kinda just went with the trend and dropped their dorado line. then all the pros obviosly couldnt run them, even if they wanted to, because none of their sponsors were producing them anymore. we'll see what happens with the new manitou dorado coming out.

ever notice how the Honda team riders had inverted forks? that's because they were a custom, special built fork and the riders (greg minaar) didnt have to rely on what the suspension manufacturers were producing.

that's my take anyways. -Braeden

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 18:23 Quote
I forgot, take a look at all the specialty builders, Avalanche, Risse, White Brothers, Maverick, they all produce inverted forks.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 19:11 Quote
Wilson4 wrote:
A Dorado is 7.5 pounds. It's lighter than the coil 2008 888's, and equal to the weight of a Travis. The Shiver I guess, but compared to what else was out when it started, lighter than the 13 pound Monster T.

For a 7" fork that isn't nearly as strong as the 888 (am I wrong?), that's not that light.

I'm not trying to say they're a bad fork though, I know people love them, I've never used one.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 19:23 Quote
The Dorado was sold as 7 and 8in. They were both about the same weight (couple grams of one another). The whole strength thing is so debatable. Look back at all the 40 vs Boxxer vs 888 threads. I went from an 05' 888RC to the Dorado because I could look down and see the fore-aft flex of the RC and the Dorado I couldn't.

Boxxers 6.2 (WC) or 6.89 (Team and the other one)
Travis 7.5
888 are 8.26 (RC3), 8 (RC3 WC), 6.94 (ATA WC)
40 6.83

So it's maybe within .2 (60 grams give or take)of a pound over weight but that can be lost elsewhere and the 09' Dorado is 6.4 pounds.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 19:25 Quote
the dorado is lighter than my 40's!

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 19:26 Quote
No? Dorados are 7.5 pounds.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 19:26 Quote
hey people, look in my file. you'll see a HEAD bike in the pics. the one with the inverted forks. I've never seen a set like those.

photo

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 at 19:39 Quote
i want one of those head bikes just for the hell of it. the fork does look awsome. does anyone know how it performs. they're website is almost pointless.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011866
Mobile Version of Website