Powered by Outside

BC Road Trip 2019 - All input is appreciated!

PB Forum :: Canada - West
BC Road Trip 2019 - All input is appreciated!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 8, 2018 at 21:15 Quote
Hey guys,

I'm planning to do a road trip around BC next year around August to catch Crankworx at Whistler and check out your sweet bike parks and trails.

The time frame is about 40 days.

My road map can be viewed here: https://maps.roadtrippers.com/?a2=t!23673631&lat=49.45889206920117&lng=-118.90940692396487&utm_campaign=trip&utm_medium=share&utm_source=copy&z=7.64799904594411

These are the corresponding stops with how many days I'll spend there.

0. Start at Vancouver
- Mt Fromme (1)
- Cyprus Mountain (1)
- My Seymour (1)

0.5 Coastal Bike Part (2) ... map site couldn't find a route to it hence the 0.5

1 Squamish (2)

2. Whister Bike Park (10)

3. Stopover

4. Kamloops (2)

5. Sun Peaks Bike Park (2)

6. Silverstar Bike Park (2)

7. Revelstoke (1)

8. Kicking Horse Bike Park (2)

9. Panorama Bike Park (2)

10. Fernie Bike Park (2)

11. Nelson (1)

12. Rossland (1)

13. Big White Bike Park (2)

14. Kelowna (1)

15. Vancouver

All thoughts and suggestions are welcome! Another place to stop on the way? Maybe spend more time at a spot?
May have to chuck in a few rest days too haha.

Any recommendations for campervan or SUV hire for sleeping is highly appreciated.

Cheers!

Posted: Nov 13, 2018 at 21:08 Quote
dude, your missing the best riding paradise - vancouver island Wink

edit: coast gravity park you need to go to horseshoebay and catch a ferry to gibsons. if i were you i would cut some days in whistler, especially when there is crankworks there are way to many people and lots of trails are closed.

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2018 at 22:29 Quote
These are tough things to respond to. Basically you are not going to spend enough time at any one of those spots other than Whistler. So just go with it and have some fun riding some awesome trails.

Crankworx is fun and the riding is still good. But 10 days is a ton of time. You might get sick of the scene.

And Vancouver Island is sweet.

O+
Posted: Nov 14, 2018 at 21:27 Quote
Are you looking to ride DH or will you do trail riding too? Dictates a lot

Posted: Nov 15, 2018 at 16:21 Quote
Exactly the input I'm looking for guys. Love it

Re: Crankworks , I'd like to time my last day or two in Whistler to be there just to experience the event and watch the EWS. Never been to anything like it so would like to see it at least once.

Vancouver island looks awesome! I'll definitely add it to the list. You guys have so much choice. I feel like I need to extend the trip to two months haha.

The riding will be mostly DH,Park,Enduro and trail riding. I prefer doing more gravity riding but am more than happy to check out recommended mellow trail spots.

My main dilemma now is finding a vehicle to drive around in and potentially sleep in and sleep easy knowing my bike is secure either inside with me or on a tow/roof bike rack.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 16, 2018 at 10:32 Quote
All those places have awesome riding and are worth a visit. I agree with the other guy though, one day in some of those spots you will barely even scratch the surface and not really get a feel for the area (riding and local culture). It's also a fair amount of extra driving. I would either cut Whistler down to 5 days and spend an extra few in Nelson/Fernie or I would cut out Kicking Horse/Pano/Fernie, cut Whistler down to 6-7 days and spend a week on Vancouver Island. The advantage of the island is the driving distances are way shorter than the interior. You can drive from Duncan to Cumberland in under two hours, and there is so much amazing riding in that short distance (Tzhoualem, Prevot, Nanaimo, Parksville, Cumberland, Forbidden Plateau).

You will definitely need to keep your bike inside your vehicle. There are stories every summer of people having them locked on the back of their sprinter/truck and getting them stolen... basically bike cannot be out of your sight/earshot.

Posted: Nov 16, 2018 at 21:59 Quote
Appreciate the reply gramboh. I'm very keen to check out the culture so you make a very good point reiterating moving around less often.

Damn! That sucks people have had their bikes stolen off their cars ... I was surprised when I saw the crime stats of Vancouver when I always thought it was like a sister city to Melbourne.

Sounds like I could heavily cut down my travel and get to relax more if I it was:
- Vancouver (Fromme,Cyprus,Seymour) (week)
- Coastal (2)
- Vancouver Island (week)
- Squamish (4)
- Whistler (week)
- Spare days as safety buffer for deciding to stay somewhere longer or just rest day (5)

Save the eastern destinations for another trip.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 0:41 Quote
tkdbboy wrote:
Appreciate the reply gramboh. I'm very keen to check out the culture so you make a very good point reiterating moving around less often.

Damn! That sucks people have had their bikes stolen off their cars ... I was surprised when I saw the crime stats of Vancouver when I always thought it was like a sister city to Melbourne.

Sounds like I could heavily cut down my travel and get to relax more if I it was:
- Vancouver (Fromme,Cyprus,Seymour) (week)
- Coastal (2)
- Vancouver Island (week)
- Squamish (4)
- Whistler (week)
- Spare days as safety buffer for deciding to stay somewhere longer or just rest day (5)

Save the eastern destinations for another trip.

That's a solid plan. Fromme/Seymour/Cypress are all great but one day/3-4ish hour ride at each is enough IMO. Burke in Coquitlam (~45min from downtown Vancouver) is worth a visit, Vedder in Chilliwack as well (75-90min drive).. if you are spending a week in Van try to hit one of those.

Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 10:20 Quote
hey bud, looks like the tweaking is coming along nicely, whistler crankworx is definately a must see for a 5 to 7 day run, depending on your style, hit the park for 2 days cuz its busy and closed off parts, get around the village to the amazing trail system (trailforks) , squamish is good for a 2 day stint as well, lots of bike shops and locals are super friendly and a great active community, same as the north shore riding in vancouver, u can spend 3 days here or 3 weeks, kind of where it all started for me, its been building up here for 25 plus years of dedicated amazing people, Roberts bank in gibsons, coastal park is a one day thing, then local trails for 2 days , the local scene is great, lots of little micro brewing and tasty seafood, the island has a start at victoria, the hartland dump can be a 1 or 2 day stay, then duncan to tzouhalem for a day, Nanaimo has some trails and Cumberland for sure is a 2 day, we just got back from there and wow, great trail system and good beer and food, a mini whistler, comox and Courtenay area to round out another day or 2, anything north of that the drive gets a bit long for the trail, victoria to Cumberland bet on 2 to 2.5 hours. vancouver or whistler to Squamish is a 45 min drive, Squamish to whistler is 45 min. aug here is a very dry and warm month , hwys are busy and ferries are a real game to play, make a reservation a day or 2 in advance, the $20 price tag could save you hours of sitting in your car.
local bike shops always have some great people and group rides. im flying out to europe next July to visit my brother in London and a cruise, love to get some rides in as well. hope the system out there is similar. enjoy

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 17:04 Quote
Hey Bro, I'll be doing a similar trip in the same time period with the Missus. It would be sick to meet up to explore and ride. We are travelling from Calgary and driving west towards Vancouver. we are working on our itinerary now. our time line runs from mid July to the end of August. Ww will finish up on the Island too. we are hiring a camper van with a bike rack. i'll just put the bikes in the van when we go out. I'm purposely not buying a new bike before the travel so I don't have constant anxiety about it.

Anyway, I'm from Mansfield but I'm trail building in the Grampians pretty much until we leave for CA. I'll have time off over Easter up at home, so if you feel like a ride on Mt buller let us know, we could meet up and plan some rides in CA

Surely we have some mutual friends

Cheers

Gus

FL
Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 9:29 Quote
If you are in the Okanagan definitely try to hit Penticton!

Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 10:25 Quote
imo a few days in Okanagan valley to ride Silverstar and get to the beaches of Okanagan lake are worth the 4hr drive from van, maybe ride vedder mtn and continue to Kelowna/Vernon.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2019 at 19:33 Quote
Kicking horse is great but if your in golden you should shuttle for one of those days, mount 7 is great! I’d be happy to show you around

Posted: Mar 24, 2019 at 19:52 Quote
Bike-guy2323 wrote:
Kicking horse is great but if your in golden you should shuttle for one of those days, mount 7 is great! I’d be happy to show you around

does kicking horse also have lift support, like whistler or silverstar for biking?

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 25, 2019 at 14:34 Quote
Demo8AUT wrote:
Bike-guy2323 wrote:

does kicking horse also have lift support, like whistler or silverstar for biking?

Yes, there's a pretty decent size bike park on the ski resort. Runs are long (gondola is close to 4,500 vertical feet I believe). Fun steep tech with long rock slabs and fall line stuff. Not sure about the quality of the jump tracks, did not ride them when I went a few years ago.

Could also look at the hike a bike to T4 which descends into LSD and Canyon, check YouTube vids to make sure you are ok with the hike and steep tech at the top of T4.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011269
Mobile Version of Website