Powered by Outside

2019 Stumpjumper Evo

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Evo
  • Previous Page
FL
Posted: Dec 5, 2018 at 17:49 Quote
Anyone have one of these?

I placed my order for a 29'er in S3 size. Should arrive either tomorrow or Monday and I can't wait Smile This will be replacing my 2015 Specialized Enduro and my first 29'er.

I just had a play around with Geometry Geeks comparison tool and compared to my XL 18 S-works demo it's longer, more reach, just as slack with the ability to pedal back uphill which excites me. What does concern me is that the Demo will become redundant!

I've got a few things in mind to make it mine, switch the code brakes out for Saints or Hope E4's, up the fork travel to 160mm with a new air spring and remove the spacer in the shock to bring the travel up to 150'ish.

photo

FL
Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 0:26 Quote
Well it turned up this afternoon. Big fan of the raw aluminium frame. It’s so nice in person. S3 size seems bang on for my 6’1. Very impressed considering the modest price. The spec list is not exactly top of the line by any means. But there is a smart selection of equipment as standard.

Only grip from the driveway test is it is a bit heavy. Definately in the 15kg range.

photo

photo

Posted: Dec 10, 2018 at 14:50 Quote
I’ve got a 27.5 one and I’ve come from a 2017 remedy. I have it in the high setting currently which is still slack! And low, enough to smack the pedals if you don’t think about where to pedal. It’s very different that’s for sure have to weight the front way more but once you get used to it it is better. The butcher tyres are shit for winter in uk so I need some Mary’s. Rotors squeal in the wet but these are only small gripes. It jumps very well very playful but at the same time steamrolls on the ground and finds new lines! Also I had fit 4 Kashima on the trek but these rythem are almost as good. I love the bike just need more time to get used to it.

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2018 at 22:08 Quote
Brasher wrote:

I've got a few things in mind to make it mine, switch the code brakes out for Saints or Hope E4's, up the fork travel to 160mm with a new air spring and remove the spacer in the shock to bring the travel up to 150'ish

What's up with the shock spacer thing? I've heard about this a few times and I'm pretty intrigued. I assume the spacer shortens the stroke of the shock. If you remove it does the tire hit the frame at full bump? Nothing crashes into eachother?

FL
Posted: Dec 11, 2018 at 13:49 Quote
Had a few rides on it now. It has far surpassed my expectations. It's super fast, stable and comfortable for my size (6'1) It could definitively do with a big more travel at both ends. In it's current form it's not a "plow" bike where you can just smash through chunder and rough bits, you need to be smart with your line choice. On a flowy jump line the bike is next level good. Never been so comfortable whipping a bike until now. The long wheelbase means you can get super loose and somehow it just pulls it back inline.

The fork is excellent, Extremely stiff in the chassis compared to my old bike which had lyrik 170mm. Setup was very easy. Compared to a Fit4/Grip2 fork the setup time is so much easier and the end result impressed me.

The shock is not so good in my opinion. Been 105kg (approx. 230lb) I just cant get it to work for me. I have to run it at closer to 35% sag to get the feel I'm after. I will be replacing it with a Cane Creek IL Coil at 55mm stroke to get approx. 155mm travel.

I'll put a 160 or maybe 170mm air shaft in the fork (fox has these for the rythym 36) and run it in high. That should net in higher BB but still at 63.5 head angle.

Jason - The Fox DPX2 in metric has a 5mm spacer on the dampner shaft. It's alloy so you cant just snip it off, but once it's removed you get 55mm stroke which nets in ~155mm rear travel, easy upgrade and heaps of tyre to frame clearance.

Brakes are good, I've been a shimano saint user for a long time but these are just as powerful, just with different modulation. The rotors squeal as mentioned above.

Everyone flips out when they see it, people think it's a test mule or prototype as it has that look about it. I got the bike for an absolute steal too so it was in line with the Direct sales companies bikes, but the Geometry of this bike is what sold me.

Overall extremely happy with my purchase, the Downhill bike still has it's place but man this bike can do 80-90% the same stuff plus pedal!

Posted: Dec 12, 2018 at 1:11 Quote
I have one. 29er. S3 and I'm 180cm

Absolutely. Love it. Have coil front and rear, still at 150mm in high. May try it with 160 forks but it totally shreds in current set up. I think people feel like it could do with more travel as it's so fast / fun and encourages you to keep going faster and harder. I find the ttx works well here as it feels like it copes better than the air shock.

Re weight, it's all in the wheels and group set. Changed to the wheels and group set from my enduro and weight is very reasonable, even with coil suspension. Raw aluminium frame is understated and proto looking (win)

Like the 2.6 butchers but the 2.6 eliminator are even better imo (slightly more volume, roll faster, good grip). Its winter in UK so Hillbilly upfront until spring (also great tire)

Prefer it to my enduro and was better priced too. Well done spesh!

FL
Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 22:21 Quote
Ok I think I'm in love with this bike lol.

Thing is this bike is making my mega dollar S-works demo more or less redundant. I'm actually bettering some of my PB's on more flowy downhill runs. I put the cane creek IL coil on with 57mm stroke bringing rear travel to 160mm, combined that with a 160mm air shaft in the fork. The thing is a rocket ship!

I am not a fan of the NX drivetrain however, no matter how much lower limit screw adjustment I try, the chain falls off a lot when in top gear. Possibly the chain is too long but all checks out ok I believe.

If you are reading this and are undecided to get this bike or not... DO IT!

O+
Posted: Mar 4, 2019 at 6:50 Quote
@Brasher, was it hard to remove the spacer from the suspension? I want to put the longer air shaft on the forks, and also increase the rear a bit in travel.

Thank you !

Brasher wrote:
Had a few rides on it now. It has far surpassed my expectations. It's super fast, stable and comfortable for my size (6'1) It could definitively do with a big more travel at both ends. In it's current form it's not a "plow" bike where you can just smash through chunder and rough bits, you need to be smart with your line choice. On a flowy jump line the bike is next level good. Never been so comfortable whipping a bike until now. The long wheelbase means you can get super loose and somehow it just pulls it back inline.

The fork is excellent, Extremely stiff in the chassis compared to my old bike which had lyrik 170mm. Setup was very easy. Compared to a Fit4/Grip2 fork the setup time is so much easier and the end result impressed me.

The shock is not so good in my opinion. Been 105kg (approx. 230lb) I just cant get it to work for me. I have to run it at closer to 35% sag to get the feel I'm after. I will be replacing it with a Cane Creek IL Coil at 55mm stroke to get approx. 155mm travel.

I'll put a 160 or maybe 170mm air shaft in the fork (fox has these for the rythym 36) and run it in high. That should net in higher BB but still at 63.5 head angle.

Jason - The Fox DPX2 in metric has a 5mm spacer on the dampner shaft. It's alloy so you cant just snip it off, but once it's removed you get 55mm stroke which nets in ~155mm rear travel, easy upgrade and heaps of tyre to frame clearance.

Brakes are good, I've been a shimano saint user for a long time but these are just as powerful, just with different modulation. The rotors squeal as mentioned above.

Everyone flips out when they see it, people think it's a test mule or prototype as it has that look about it. I got the bike for an absolute steal too so it was in line with the Direct sales companies bikes, but the Geometry of this bike is what sold me.

Overall extremely happy with my purchase, the Downhill bike still has it's place but man this bike can do 80-90% the same stuff plus pedal!

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 at 8:49 Quote
I’m gonna get one. Have a 2017 stumpy. I’m just worried that S3 might not be big enough. I’m 6’3

FL
Posted: Mar 4, 2019 at 13:17 Quote
Darkysh wrote:
@Brasher, was it hard to remove the spacer from the suspension? I want to put the longer air shaft on the forks, and also increase the rear a bit in travel.

Thank you !

Brasher wrote:

I ended up going with a cane creek IL coil at 57mm stroke. This gives me approx. 160mm rear travel.

I upped the front travel to 160 with a different air spring which gave the bike a bit more ability to smash into things.

This is how it sits now.

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 at 14:39 Quote
That stem is hot

Posted: Mar 4, 2019 at 14:52 Quote
tkdbboy wrote:
That stem is hot
Agreed. Also, that bike is hot

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 0:35 Quote
@Brasher , how is the clearance ? Im really thinking of sending the shock out to remove the shim to have the 52.5mm stroke. Cheers bud

FL
Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 13:43 Quote
Heaps of room even at 57mm. High and low mode it’s all good.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 21:36 Quote
Love hearing about the mods to this bike.
I just got mine and gave the fork a boost to 160 with the smashpot coil conversion.
@brasher- beauty!
Thanks for sharing the spacer info. I will try it.
Thinking about getting a marzocchi bomber with 55 stroke as it sounds like coil all around is the way to go.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012516
Mobile Version of Website