Powered by Outside

Choosing a used DH Bike

PB Forum :: Downhill
Choosing a used DH Bike
  • Previous Page
O+ FL
Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 7:44 Quote
Hey everyone,

I'm on the hunt for a used DH bike for the upcoming season. This will be my first DH bike so I'm not looking to spend too much, but I want quality components. Listed are some of the requirements and/or wants that I am looking for at this time.

Aluminum
27.5 wheels
Size medium or large (I'm 6' even)
Boxxer world cup, Fox Factory, Performance Elite
Guide RSC, Code, or Zee/Saint brakes
GX drivetrain is okay, Zee or Saint would be nice
$3,000 max budget

Bikes that I've looked at the most are the Intense 951 Evo, Trek Session, Specialized Demo, and GT Fury.

I consider myself an advanced rider so I want a bike I can grow on. I've currently run my Slash as my DH bike but the thought of trashing it in the future is my reason for a DH bike.

I'm open to any and all thoughts, advice, feedback, experience, and conversation on this topic. I don't need a brand new bike, but I want one that will remain somewhat current with the times and have a component spec that I won't have to/want to upgrade. Even though I listed some of my requirement/wants, I'm still open to hearing about other options.

Thanks!!!!!

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 9:59 Quote
If you’re 6 foot even definetely go for a large

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2019 at 16:20 Quote
I hope this thread goes somewhere. I'm in exactly the same boat. I'm also 6' and currently on a Slash I don't want to trash.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 5:42 Quote
luckyguy19 wrote:
I hope this thread goes somewhere. I'm in exactly the same boat. I'm also 6' and currently on a Slash I don't want to trash.

I hope it does, as well. It's amazing how well the Slash does riding DH, even on the super chunky lines, but it's also scary when I push it because those same rocks want to smash my carbon.

Hopefully some riders who have experience on a couple different bikes chime in and give us some good insight!

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2019 at 8:46 Quote
The Slash is great at the bike park. I set some of my fastest times closing weekend and I forgot to set the bike up in the slack setting.

Posted: Jan 18, 2019 at 17:02 Quote
At your height i wouldn´t even consider anything below a size Large. For a quite a few manufacturers i´d actually go for an XL for sure.

You can´t go wrong with most bikes really if you look for something from model year 16 and up.
I´d suggest to steer clear of Canyon for used bikes as you won´t be able to get replacement parts from them as a second hand owner. So in case you crack a chainstay or something like that, your bike is done forever.

Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 1:20 Quote
First, don't look at frame size, check Reach of frame in frame geometry of each manufacturer.
As an example YT Tues L and Devinci Wilson XL are the same size and have difference in reach in 1mm. And there are lot of similar missconnections between sizes of different manufacturers.

About size for person with 6ft heigh, I can recommend reach somewhere around 460-470mm, but it's opinion based on personal experience and riding style. I'm 5'11ft and I have Glory with 460mm of reach, but it's a bit long and I need to use 25mm steam to shorten bike. And this size is more suitable for DH racing, while for bike parks you can stick to shorter bike, It's much more playable.
And just remember that bike geo and wheel size is important, but very minor thing for riding. It can be important for racing result. I've spent last summer vacation riding in Chatel and Les Gets on old 26" Voltage FR with 400mm of reach, had a lots of fun, and there were no places where I could say that I can't ride it because of bike geo or wheel size.

With your budget just go with new YT Tues AL. Why should you look for second hand with parts in unknown condition, when you can buy a new bike and ride it without any problems at least 2 or 3 years?
If you are looking for second hand bike, for your requirements I'd look for bike in budget of $1600-2000.

Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 5:22 Quote
nik40fox wrote:
With your budget just go with new YT Tues AL. Why should you look for second hand with parts in unknown condition, when you can buy a new bike and ride it without any problems at least 2 or 3 years?

Very good suggestion. I'd be doing this if i was in your position. Warranty & piece of mind etc

Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 7:09 Quote
festivetomatodip wrote:
nik40fox wrote:

Very good suggestion. I'd be doing this if i was in your position. Warranty & piece of mind etc

As above, the Tues AL comes in at USD 2,399.00. Failing that you also have the Canyon sender coming in at 2.599.00

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 8:15 Quote
I'm going to be looking to spend around $2000. The YT Tues aluminum starts at $2800. The Canyon sender AL does not have size larges available at this time.

Posted: Jan 21, 2019 at 8:43 Quote
luckyguy19 wrote:
I'm going to be looking to spend around $2000. The YT Tues aluminum starts at $2800. The Canyon sender AL does not have size larges available at this time.

Ahhh you are correct, It had switched me to the UK site.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 5:47 Quote
Has anyone here had to begin a warranty claim with YT? I’ve heard some nightmares about the process.

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 6:14 Quote
ZSchnei wrote:
Has anyone here had to begin a warranty claim with YT? I’ve heard some nightmares about the process.

I've heard both good and bad although to be fair, the majority of negative comments were from people on your side of the pond

Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 9:38 Quote
ZSchnei wrote:

In europe they´re great to deal with.
It seems as if the US and Canadian distributors can be hit or miss a lot of the time.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 22, 2019 at 11:24 Quote
OP as stated check out YT, Canyon and Commencal if you have a $3k USD budget. If you want a higher spec you should be able to find 1-2 year old bikes in good shape with high spec for that budget as DH bikes do not hold value well.

Forget about the 951 Evo that is a 4+ year old bike and outdated, same with the GT Fury those are not worth anywhere near $4k.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2488034/ there's an example of what I would be looking at (1 year old, Fox Factory, good components), and trying to bargain down a couple hundred more bucks say $2500. Of course with a used DH bike you are taking a risk if you can't inspect it in person.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016793
Mobile Version of Website