Powered by Outside

Custom links anyone?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Custom links anyone?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 3, 2019 at 12:06 Quote
So I recently made a link for the Nomad (http://cascadecomponents.bike/nomad-lt-link/) that increases travel and makes it more progressive. Would anyone have any interest in a link that achieves similar things for a Bronson, Megatower, or V10 and if so what would you be most interested in gaining for each?

Posted: Jun 10, 2019 at 17:48 Quote
Love the idea of more travel! Might have to invest in one of your links!

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 15:35 Quote
Many friends have been speaking about this, but they all ask the same question.

Warranty. Will it invalidate the SC warranty.

Would be good to speak to this.

CascadeComponents wrote:
So I recently made a link for the Nomad (http://cascadecomponents.bike/nomad-lt-link/) that increases travel and makes it more progressive. Would anyone have any interest in a link that achieves similar things for a Bronson, Megatower, or V10 and if so what would you be most interested in gaining for each?

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 16:21 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
Many friends have been speaking about this, but they all ask the same question.

Warranty. Will it invalidate the SC warranty.

Would be good to speak to this.

CascadeComponents wrote:

No one has had to warranty a frame that the link is installed on so we're not sure how it would be handled yet. There's nothing in their warranty that specifically says it would void it, but as it's a modification to the suspension design there's a degree of uncertainty.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 18:27 Quote
CascadeComponents wrote:
Bronson, Megatower, or V10 and if so what would you be most interested in gaining for each?

Absolutely. I'd love to get a little more progressiveness for my V3 bronson. Currently running a coil and a bit more support for big hits would be nice. However I would NOT be interested if it required me to buy a different sized shock.

Posted: Jun 11, 2019 at 20:14 Quote
Andrew916 wrote:
CascadeComponents wrote:
Bronson, Megatower, or V10 and if so what would you be most interested in gaining for each?

Absolutely. I'd love to get a little more progressiveness for my V3 bronson. Currently running a coil and a bit more support for big hits would be nice. However I would NOT be interested if it required me to buy a different sized shock.
I agree with that. The Nomad link was designed to work with two shock lengths because there's nothing between it and the V10 and the differences between those are huge. With the Bronson increasing the travel would essentially make a Nomad, which would be redundant. The Bronson link will likely be designed around the stock size shock. We will still provide data for what to expect with a longer shock stroke though.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 10:45 Quote
[Quote="CascadeComponent]The Bronson link will likely be designed around the stock size shock. We will still provide data for what to expect with a longer shock stroke though.[/Quote]

Any ETA? I’d love to give this thing a go.

Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 11:55 Quote
Andrew916 wrote:
[Quote="CascadeComponent]The Bronson link will likely be designed around the stock size shock. We will still provide data for what to expect with a longer shock stroke though.

Any ETA? I’d love to give this thing a go.[/Quote]
All I can say right now is the CAD model is in the process of being finalized and ETA is more dependent on testing than anything else. We will have machined prototypes before the end of the month. Just have to make sure they are adequate before releasing anything.

O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2019 at 6:19 Quote
Interested in this as well, for both the Bronson or the Nomad. Will be waiting for updates on availability. Having a longer travel option for the Bronson would be great for turning it in to a park weapon during the summer, and switching back to trail mode for the rest of the year

Posted: Jun 28, 2019 at 8:59 Quote
JDub713 wrote:
Interested in this as well, for both the Bronson or the Nomad. Will be waiting for updates on availability. Having a longer travel option for the Bronson would be great for turning it in to a park weapon during the summer, and switching back to trail mode for the rest of the year
Our prototype Bronson link is just starting testing. If all goes well we should be running a production batch in a couple of weeks! One of the main goals of all our link designs is to maintain pedaling performance so that it can be ridden anywhere. Once you throw the link on I doubt you'll want to take it back off because it'll climb just as well but rip the downs better.

Update on availability of the Nomad link: we have ONE black ano link left in stock at the moment. After that we won't have any Nomad links back in stock until our next production run is back from anodizing, which should be mid July. That will be a much larger run so they'll be more readily available.

Update on the Megatower link: now that the Bronson link is in testing we are focusing on getting the CAD finished for the MT link while we await test feedback. Hopefully we can get a prototype out really soon. We are aiming to get this available in late July to August.

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 16:22 Quote
Is a long travel Bronson not a nomad?

Posted: Jul 1, 2019 at 16:28 Quote
JackJ100 wrote:
Is a long travel Bronson not a nomad?
In a way a longer travel Bronson would be pretty similar to a Nomad. This is why the Bronson link isn't going to really increase its travel. The leverage curve for the Bronson doesn't make a lot of sense when you look at it so we are trying to add some progression so that it doesn't bottom out as easily as it does.

Posted: Aug 5, 2019 at 18:27 Quote
So the guys at Cascade were kind enough to send me a pre-production link to try out last month. I was real excited to try it out since I switched over to a coil shock. A spring weight calculator had initially recommended a 410ish spring, but with the Bronsons leverage I was blowing through and clacking my suspension on even small 2 foot drops. We eventually went all the way up to a 457spring and things started feeling great. I was still looking for a bit more support without sacrificing the beautiful small bump and that when I ran across this thread.

The production model will have the shock sit a bit lower to offer better coil clearance. This one clears, but BARELY. I've been running the link now for just shy of a month and its been all downhill days at Northstar California. Even ran a few of their DH races with some success! Current setup is using an Ohlins TTX22 with a 457 spring. The new link has 155 travel now, and I'm running a 170 fork.

The combo of this link and the coil is amazing on this bike. Rear traction is fantastic! The rear of the bike just follows along wherever I go. No sliding, no fussing, even bombing down loose gravel fire roads in between courses is no issue. Just. solid. For real park use, this gives me just that last little bit of progression it was lacking for the big hits and the occasional coming up short on the big table tops. I've been mobbing through the rocky and rooty double blacks as fast as i let myself, and the rear chugs along with. Even when I do bottom, its not super noticeable even and definitely not harsh.

I'd post a little video running through a rock feature but I can't figure out how. oh well. Anyway, link rocks! Bronson users who want to ride harder should definitely consider picking up one of these.

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Aug 5, 2019 at 20:18 Quote
Andrew916 wrote:
So the guys at Cascade were kind enough to send me a pre-production link to try out last month. I was real excited to try it out since I switched over to a coil shock. A spring weight calculator had initially recommended a 410ish spring, but with the Bronsons leverage I was blowing through and clacking my suspension on even small 2 foot drops. We eventually went all the way up to a 457spring and things started feeling great. I was still looking for a bit more support without sacrificing the beautiful small bump and that when I ran across this thread.

The production model will have the shock sit a bit lower to offer better coil clearance. This one clears, but BARELY. I've been running the link now for just shy of a month and its been all downhill days at Northstar California. Even ran a few of their DH races with some success! Current setup is using an Ohlins TTX22 with a 457 spring. The new link has 155 travel now, and I'm running a 170 fork.

The combo of this link and the coil is amazing on this bike. Rear traction is fantastic! The rear of the bike just follows along wherever I go. No sliding, no fussing, even bombing down loose gravel fire roads in between courses is no issue. Just. solid. For real park use, this gives me just that last little bit of progression it was lacking for the big hits and the occasional coming up short on the big table tops. I've been mobbing through the rocky and rooty double blacks as fast as i let myself, and the rear chugs along with. Even when I do bottom, its not super noticeable even and definitely not harsh.

I'd post a little video running through a rock feature but I can't figure out how. oh well. Anyway, link rocks! Bronson users who want to ride harder should definitely consider picking up one of these.

Thanks for the write-up!

The current rendition of the link has some slight modifications that will make it even more awesome we hope! For anyone that's interested, we are expecting to have the Bronson link available end of this month.

We currently don't have the product page for the Bronson link up yet so here are the key details:
• 12% more progressive than stock
• +5 mm chainstay length
• 157 mm of travel
• Sealed Enduro MAX bearings come installed

Posted: Aug 6, 2019 at 15:17 Quote
Andrew916 wrote:

photo
Holy f*ck !

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011588
Mobile Version of Website