Powered by Outside

E*Thirteen reliabilty issues.

PB Forum :: YT Industries
E*Thirteen reliabilty issues.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 10:39 Quote
I know this sounds like it might not be related to YT, but since YT specs their bikes with so many e13 components, I wanted to ask this question here.
I love YT bikes, I had great experience with YT itself.
e13 support is very good too, but i feel that reliability is not the best.

I had my rear wheel replaced twice, because of spokes breaking at the J-bend.
I actually ended up with two rear wheels, because of shipping mistake, e13 just told me to keep old wheel.
So I was riding stock wheel. In the meantime I had other wheel rebuild with stock hub/rim but Sapim spokes. This one lasted three months. Rim started cracking at nipples.
So I put the stock one back on, and had first one rebuild with e13 hub, sapim spokes and DT EX511 rim.
After I installed rebuild rim, I noticed the fully stock e13 TRS 29 wheel started showing signs of cracking at the nipples too. Warranty status on this one is pending. But it's less than three months of riding.

Also, On spoke broke in the front wheel. I had it rebuild with different spokes this fall. So far so good.

In the meantime, I had TRS 9-46 casette replaced under warranty, broken tooth on the steel cog and steel cogs were loose, moving back and forward in relation to aluminium cogs.

Not very good reliability record. I've seen some people reporting issues with wheels or cassettes.

What does everyone have to say about E*Thirteen? Support had been good so far.

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 10:56 Quote
I can only speak to their TRS Plus wheelset but so far I am super happy with mine. So far I have 5 months on them and I have had zero problems. The wheels are way stiffer than my old Stans Arch EX's and I've pinged them off of a few rocks and roots (a sound I always hate to hear) and the e13 rims have stayed true with no dents or broken spokes. I know they had some hub issues a few years ago but I thought they fixed those.

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I didn't know much about e13 and was skeptical when the rims came stock on my 2019 YT Jeffsy but now they are a brand that is on my radar.

Posted: Aug 31, 2019 at 4:32 Quote
I have a 2018 Jeffsy 27 AL and the e13 cassette and dropper. The cassette hot replaced for free after 4 months of usage because the shifting was clunky. It's running perfectly since a year now, I only greased it once (it consists of two pieces) after the winter. The dropper needed new parts because I could service it after a year because tolerances were too high. Also I got replacement parts and finally a new remote for the dropper because I broke it several times. Which always was because the screws are so flimsy. In the last some weeks I got like 4 packages from the e13 support for free and I basically have a box of many inner parts for the dropper now and should now be able to take care of it for quite some time. It even works better than new now because the rotational play is away.

Overall, I guess I would not buy e13 stuff aftermarket because it was clearly the only components I had problems with after 1.5 years. The support always gave their best, though, and the newer revision of parts really fixed some design flaws.

O+
Posted: Sep 2, 2019 at 18:47 Quote
I keep breaking spokes on my 2019 Tues, with the LG1R carbon 27.5 wheelset. I’ve had it for 7 weeks and I’ve broken 5 rear spokes and 2 front.

After the 3rd rear spoke I had the wheel re-laced with new 2mm spokes, the E13 ones are only roughly 1.6mm, and I’m still breaking them.

Spoke tension is correct and I run cushcores in both wheels, and I run 30psi front and 34psi rear so no rim damage. I mostly ride flow trails, no double blacks and I’m not doing huge hucks. I’m at a bit of a loss, seems I break a spoke or two almost every ride day.

E13 has offered to send me a new set of spokes. It’s better than nothing but I don’t think it’s a reasonable solution to keep having to repair these wheels every time I ride. Is it reasonable to expect complete wheel replacements at this point?

I keep hearing how great their customer service is so to be perfectly honest, I’ve been waiting for them to offer that but it doesn’t seem like it’s happening.

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 3:45 Quote
ALSO!! No more 11sp TRS race or + cassettes being sold on E*Thirteens site..looks like they killed off the most logical cassette ever invented. a 9T-46T range! Absolutely disgusted to run a 50T cassette..no way.

Do these cassettes hold up? Ryan Radriguez hates em..so it makes me nervous to try em out.

I gotta run 9t...it sounds so fast!

thanks yall

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 at 4:09 Quote
New versions of those cassettes are coming, I think that's the reason.

Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 7:45 Quote
EvoRidge wrote:
ALSO!! No more 11sp TRS race or + cassettes being sold on E*Thirteens site..looks like they killed off the most logical cassette ever invented. a 9T-46T range! Absolutely disgusted to run a 50T cassette..no way.

Do these cassettes hold up? Ryan Radriguez hates em..so it makes me nervous to try em out.

I gotta run 9t...it sounds so fast!

thanks yall

ON my new Jeffsy Pro Race 9-46 cassette is little different than the old one. It is the eSpec cassette. Looks beefier and stronger. Hopefully it will be more reliable than first one. First one developed some play between smaller set of cogs and the larger set.

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 10:23 Quote
scoobiemario wrote:

ON my new Jeffsy Pro Race 9-46 cassette is little different than the old one. It is the eSpec cassette. Looks beefier and stronger. Hopefully it will be more reliable than first one. First one developed some play between smaller set of cogs and the larger set.

Same thing with the Capra AL 29 Ltd it came with the eSpec cassette, I've been told that's the new design going forward. On one Al cog the rest steel.

Posted: Oct 6, 2019 at 10:17 Quote
My crank arm broke today under normal use for a DH bike! Bike is 7months old CF Pro Race.
What do you guys think?
photo
photo

Posted: Oct 6, 2019 at 13:36 Quote
My perception is that e*thirteen frequently releases products before all the bugs are worked out, but they do a great job of supporting people who are negatively affected and they update the products quickly.

GraySteel, I have no idea what load caused the crank failure or what loads the cranks previously survived that may have weakened it. Looks like a pedal strike. e*thirteen may offer you a discounted replacement; I wouldn't fault them if they don't offer a free replacement.

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 2:15 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
My perception is that e*thirteen frequently releases products before all the bugs are worked out, but they do a great job of supporting people who are negatively affected and they update the products quickly.

GraySteel, I have no idea what load caused the crank failure or what loads the cranks previously survived that may have weakened it. Looks like a pedal strike. e*thirteen may offer you a discounted replacement; I wouldn't fault them if they don't offer a free replacement.

It was definitely not a pedal strike that caused the failure and I don't remember ever hitting it really hard at any point in the past

O+
Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 13:49 Quote
GraySteel wrote:
My crank arm broke today under normal use for a DH bike! Bike is 7months old CF Pro Race.
What do you guys think?
photo
photo

What do I think? I think that I have seen the exact same thing happen on a brand new Specialized DH bike with carbon Sram cranks....

What did E13 say?

Posted: Oct 7, 2019 at 16:09 Quote
GraySteel wrote:
It was definitely not a pedal strike that caused the failure and I don't remember ever hitting it really hard at any point in the past

Okay, but it looks like something dramatic happened. Maybe not, but the manufacturer doesn't know that and can't believe every "just riding along" claim, even if some are true.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 6:53 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
GraySteel wrote:

Okay, but it looks like something dramatic happened. Maybe not, but the manufacturer doesn't know that and can't believe every "just riding along" claim, even if some are true.

Same happened to me. Break in mine was in a nearly identical location on my trsr cranks. Mine broke on a 2-3ft jump (the texas flag jump in the video).

photo

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013844
Mobile Version of Website