Powered by Outside

How burly do single crown forks get?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How burly do single crown forks get?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 15, 2020 at 14:46 Quote
I was thinking about different forks and travel and stiffness, and I realized there was no medium (that I was aware of) between 36mm stanchioned enduro forks and 40mm stanchioned dh forks. are there 38mm forks out there? If not, how long until there are. Do you think that it could lead to longer travel on single crown forks? Discuss.

Posted: Mar 15, 2020 at 17:24 Quote
Manitou Mezzer has 37mm stanchions and is adjustable from 140 - 180mm.

Posted: Mar 15, 2020 at 20:39 Quote
I think lighter/lower travel dual crown forks, like MRP makes will be more likely than beefier single crown forks.

Posted: Mar 15, 2020 at 23:13 Quote
Id much rather have a big stanchioned single crown than a short travel dual crown. I think that dual crown is for 200 mm tanks only, otherwise it is sluggish and lame hope to see some 38 mms in the future.

Posted: Mar 15, 2020 at 23:56 Quote
Marininmaine wrote:
[ ... ] no medium (that I was aware of) between 36mm stanchioned enduro forks and 40mm stanchioned dh forks

Keep in mind only the Fox 40 is 40 mm.

• RockShox Boxxer: 35 mm
• DVO Onyx DC: 36 mm
• MRP Bartlett: 35 mm
• Formula Nero R: 35 mm
• Öhlins DH38: 38 mm
• Upcoming Fox: 38 mm?

At some point, a double-crown is lighter than a single-crown for a given travel, strength, and stiffness. At that point, a single-crown is only worthwhile if the benefits (steering angle, knee clearance, barspins / tailwhips?) outweigh the drawbacks. Modern bikes with longer reach minimize knee clearance issues and not many people want to spin / whip enduro bikes, so it's mostly a matter of aesthetics, price, and steering angle.

A Lyrik is 10 mm longer than a Boxxer for a given travel, so a 180 mm Lyrik is only 10 mm shorter than a 200 mm Boxxer. The Boxxer is heavier, but stiffer. We've probably already reached the point at which a double-crown could be as light as a single-crown.

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 at 4:21 Quote
Old Rockshox Totem had 40mm stanchions on single crown fork didn't it?

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 at 5:18 Quote
stumpymidget wrote:

It certainly did

Posted: Mar 16, 2020 at 5:23 Quote
stumpymidget wrote:

I've got one of them on my Saracen Ariel, they're probably the coolest thing I own

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 7:18 Quote
Ladies and gents I called it: the fox 38 released, and it's not just a slimmer double crown fork, it's a hefty single crown fork.

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 11:42 Quote
This wasn't exactly a secret. The fork has been popping up at races since last season, its been well known it was the long rumored 38.

As a bigger dude I've been cautiously excited for this to drop but the lack of a 20mm option is a lost opportunity and the apparent desire to keep hacking at the CSU to shave grams is just as perplexing as its ever been.

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 14:06 Quote
I think we're reaching the point where double-crowns make sense.

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 15:56 Quote
Seems that way. Every time I jump on my 40 I'm reminded how laughably night and day the difference in precision between sc and dc really is. For rowdy death gnar chargers I bet the 38 is a bit of an improvement over the slew of other current sc forks, but its so close in weight to a modern Boxxer we might be approaching that same point of diminishing return the Totem hit.

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 16:15 Quote
Exactly. And now that frames have decent reach, we could run a double-crown without smashing our knees.

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 23:57 Quote
A actually liked the fork quite a lot. Eversince the totem, ive been on a quest for a fork that can come close to it in burliness. After i rode a pari of 40’s, everything else seems like a petty ass noodle to me. Im 6’3 100 kg and would really appreciate maximum stiffness, but im an ednuro guy and kinda dont see myself riding a dualcrown on a fireroad. So the 38 comes pretty close to my expextation of a fork. The arch looks sexy though, the steerer is kinda fixed and the overal burliness to weight ratio is satisfying. At my body stats, i find the so called « weight penalty » non existent, and im ready to accept a fork up to 2500 g for single crown. That means 180 mm 29er fork of that weight.
After trashing numerous bike parts, ive choosen heavy and stronger much more than light and weak.
I dont understand why people critisize the fork so much. It looks good, def stiffer and performs awesome. The added air bleeders will do a great job in my op.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008294
Mobile Version of Website