Powered by Outside

Covid-19 and travelling to bikeparks/trails

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Covid-19 and travelling to bikeparks/trails
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 2:53 Quote
Hi all,

I've been checking to see if its sensible and possible to still consider going to bike parks and natural trails. For what I can gather, it seems like Scottish Forestry have closed a lot of carparks understandably but the trails themselves are not under restriction. Obviously riskier rding is out until the NHS are under less stress but can we still park up somewhere and ride less advanced stuff???? Been trying to contact a few bike parks but noone answering at the mo. Guess sensible/thoughtful parking in the countryside is still doable. I have also checked the UKGOV site and its informative but not detailed.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 3:06 Quote
People need to get out side and exercise, there is no way anyone is going to mentally or physically survive a multi month lock down without the opportunity for some physical reprieve.

That said, context is going to be different for people in different areas. Social pressures and quarantine shaming are what will proceed various states of martial law .... and all of those things will have an impact on what would otherwise be deemed reasonable.

FL
Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 3:13 Quote
I know here in east anglia FC have closed car parks an forest centres though I plan on parking up (10 miles away) in a lay bye an riding gentle forest loops alone

I'm still working so I'm still riding

Drunk Cyclist had a post about French police using strava to catch people!! but, they on FULL lock down

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 3:23 Quote
Is there anywhere closer to home you can go ride?

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 3:47 Quote
Thanks for the replies. I live in a fairly large city so its not ideal. I will ride in the city 90% of the time during this crisis but would be ideal to get a least one ride in the sticks. AFAICS, there is no actual law preventing sensible parking (with a good distance from any other car/rider) in the countryside so will go with that for now. Stay safe and well Smile There is now.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 3:55 Quote
If you are in Glasgow, local areas are Cathkin Braes, Mugdock, Old Kilpatrick, maybe even some of the West Highland Way north of Milngavie...not too far to drive. Probably would not recommend trying to go further - non-essential travel not advised.

I know it is tempting to drive to a trail centre / bike park but other people will have that in mind too. Then we will keep having situations as seen the past weekend which could prompt even further restrictions. Something to think about.

Posted: Mar 25, 2020 at 4:03 Quote
iainmac-1 wrote:
If you are in Glasgow, local areas are Cathkin Braes, Mugdock, Old Kilpatrick, maybe even some of the West Highland Way north of Milngavie...not too far to drive. Probably would not recommend trying to go further - non-essential travel not advised.

I know it is tempting to drive to a trail centre / bike park but other people will have that in mind too. Then we will keep having situations as seen the past weekend which could prompt even further restrictions. Something to think about.

Yeah, those are possibly doable. Good call. It probably does make sense to avoid bikeparks. Ah well, lets hope its not for too long.

FL
Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 7:58 Quote
Necessary to go to work an be surounded by 20-30 people (key industry)
allowed to go to tesco an be surounded by 30-40 people
allowed to go out of my front door to excersize an cross paths with maybe 10-20 people

NOT allowed to drive to the woods in my own car, by myself, (for an XC pootle) to never see another human being, an if I do I can just turn a corner an go another way

FL
Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 8:00 Quote
P.S has anyone seen the price of second hand Turbo Trainers!!! Brand new has sold out every where so second hand going for up to twice the new price!!!

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 16:12 Quote
Abordage wrote:
Maybe I will express an unpopular opinion, but... The government told us to stay at home for a reason. Aren't you all concerned about Covid-19? The doctors don't know how to fight this freaking' virus right now. And so it's dangerous to go out. And in this situation the only thing you worry about is the police? That's a little strange, TBH.

The constraint of civil liberties IS the bigger problem. The pathogen will pass, but freedoms will forever be curtailed.

Keep your eyes open. And don’t blindly accept the narrative. There are always health concerns, humans die, it’s inevitable. I would much rather die free as a young man, than live for ever as a prisoner.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 0:43 Quote
Bear in mind this post was written just as the lock down in the uk was announced. There was some degree of ambiguity about what we could do but that was quickly clarified and the message is now quite clear. No travelling to ride and one form of exercise per day. This is what is expected of us and thats what we should do. Im not too concerned about a potential risk to civil liberties. Once we are free of the virus or immune, I think we will return to normal.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 2:03 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
Abordage wrote:
Maybe I will express an unpopular opinion, but... The government told us to stay at home for a reason. Aren't you all concerned about Covid-19? The doctors don't know how to fight this freaking' virus right now. And so it's dangerous to go out. And in this situation the only thing you worry about is the police? That's a little strange, TBH.

The constraint of civil liberties IS the bigger problem. The pathogen will pass, but freedoms will forever be curtailed.

Keep your eyes open. And don’t blindly accept the narrative. There are always health concerns, humans die, it’s inevitable. I would much rather die free as a young man, than live for ever as a prisoner.

Let's hope no-one you care about dies prematurely in a way that could have been avoided because someone else would rather 'die free as a young man' (even though they are most likely low risk) This isn't about you. its about looking out for fellow humans but people don't seem to get that. You're literally just being asked to stay home for a bit

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 5:14 Quote
These attitudes are many of the problems. We are being told NOT to travel, even for exercise. Carparks and trail centres are all closed for a reason: to stop people using them and taking the piss driving miles for their exercise. This is not about civil liberties, this is about a virus that has no cure or vaccine. It transmission is mindbogglingly easy and it is long-lived on many surfaces.
People can be infected without knowing so those who believe it is their right to go out and ride trails could very easily be condemning someone else to death. It is that simple. Infections and deaths are still rising as we have not reached the top of the peak.

I would love to go out and ride my MTB, even locally but local bridalways or canal towpath simply do not allow the required separation and every time you need to open a gate you are at risk of catching the virus or leaving it for others.
The best I can do is the equivalent of my daily commute on some roads and cycletrack where these is space and no need to touch anything.

Anyone even contemplating driving to ride is being utterly selfish with total disregard of the consequences of their actions. It is not just the safety of other is it YOUR safety. You are just as much of picking up the virus and infecting yourself of those close to you. Any of those could die as COVID is indiscriminate in who it infects and kills. This virus is going to be with us for a while and the more people ignore the restrictions the longer it will take for some normality. The scenes in the Peak District and Snowdonia two weekends ago illustrate just how selfish and stupid a significant number of the population are.

End of rant.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 6:18 Quote
I think it’s also to do with limiting any chance of wasting emergency services resources for non essential reasons. Driving accidents still happen and people come off bikes all the time, being in the middle of a remote forrest only adds to the problem. I’m sure the government would like to lock everyone in their houses but that’s not a viable option or realistically a last resort option so instead they allow essential travel only to limit the chance of the above accidents happening. They allow local exercise only as again it limits the above again. It’s all about limiting risk (and contact obviously). I personally think riding on the road is more dangerous and kind of contradicts the point of limiting risk but it’s allowed at this time and I’m thankful for that at least (even though I hate riding on the road with a passion). People keep ignoring this shit and the government will only respond with longer or tighter restrictions. As always the few f*ck it up for the many. Personally I just want this to end as quick as possible so I’m gonna do my bit and follow the rules set by experts. Don’t be a prick and think you know better and prolong or increase our misery and think of the vulnerable people who are losing their lives. It could be a lot worse so suck it up.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 6:26 Quote
chris-adam-media wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:
Abordage wrote:

Let's hope no-one you care about dies prematurely in a way that could have been avoided because someone else would rather 'die free as a young man' (even though they are most likely low risk) This isn't about you. its about looking out for fellow humans but people don't seem to get that. You're literally just being asked to stay home for a bit

First, you have no understanding of my particular context or sacrifice. And I am not interested in disclosing that on this forum.

I am not trying to say things shouldn’t be taken seriously, but you are blind and ignorant if you think all your freedoms will be restored, and we need to not blindly and ignorently follow a narrative. You need to ask questions and make sure things makes sense. Lots of what is going on should be question, but we don’t. Because people are afraid they refuse to think.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010279
Mobile Version of Website